Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some help needed with a 1700s Portugese Coin...

Howdy!

I was sent this coin to sell on eBay, but I have no reference materials on this type of piece... all I know was what was listed on the holder--that this is a Portugese piece from 1012-1026. I'd be very appreciative if you could help shed some more light as to what this is.

Thanks!

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    Appears to be a nice Portuguese 40 Reis, undated, King John V (1706-50).
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Tbird! Perhaps the date on the holder was wrong, then image

...and it's not so medieval image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    That was fast, Brad.image

The coin cannot be medieval, because it is machine struck.
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It's in awesome condition--AU/UNC.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh... did these circulate in the American colonies, or were they pretty much stuck in Europe?

Oh, here's the description I wrote... let me know if I screwed up image

An undated piece from the reign of King John V (1706-1750), this is a remarkable piece of history. Used in commerce nearly three hundred years ago, this piece has, unlike most, stood the test of time, aquiring a miniscule amount of wear, if any at all! The coin was struck very well-centered on an excellent planchet, and exhibits a few small die breaks.

Thanks again!

Jeremy
  • Options
    Jeremy, you might add the word "only" before miniscule, if you prefer.

Also, the coin has some haymarking, particularly on the reverse, but I don't think you need to add that to the description, since it doesn't detract from the coin, in my opinion. I believe some people find haymarking unattractive, but not me. Overall, the coin has a magnificent look.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin, never seen one before
  • Options
    josemartinsjosemartins Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Hi Jeremy,

This is a 50 reis (half tostão) from D. João VI (as regent), 1799-1816.

A not so common coin, but usually found in medium/high grade! Nice coin!image

Jose
  • Options
    Welcome to the forums, Jose!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD