Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Danika Patrick RC - Hype or....

Hysteria!

Granted way more people in the US are NASCAR fans and the IRL is indirectly pandering Danika to get people excited. Right...hmmm....is Danika going to race around the track on the front of car?

Or will it look more like this:

So, is this going to "save" the Indy today? Will you be watching to see Danika pull off the feat of the century? Is this just hype, hype and more hype?

Ahhh...but there was a day when the "race" was filled with real men, with front engine machines billowing out oil and fumes in their collective faces....where at impact with another car, you might see the driver flying into the stands rather than just a tire....

But I digress....so if you want to help save the IRL and the Indy...please watch Danika today...

And BTW,

The poll-sitter Tony Kanaan:

Kanaan and Hornish

Vin Diesel....Right?

This is what happens when one has a "long" weekend!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    OH MY STARS!! .................I do believe...........I do believe.........I said ....I said........I do believe I could do some DIRECT pandering with Ms Danika Patrick.....

I hope that is a fire proof outfit she is wearing.........because it cauld cause some spontanious combustion.

image ........................... image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Danica is the real deal. She has been racing since she was very young and is on the right team.
    Team Rahal/Letterman has all the experience needed to take a young driver to the trophy.

Plus, if she wins I would like to see her give Tony George a swift kick in the cahones. This little d###less man set Champ car racing back 15 years by creating the IRL, and jeopardized the future of racing's greatest event by holding teams hostage in exchange for an Indy 500 entry.

Don't forget the other Rahal driver, Kenny Brack who is replacing Buddy Rice. Brack is in his first race after a horrific accident a few years ago. He should not be living, let alone driving 220+ mph.

Keith

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn Keith

So serious? I was just making a little sunday satire.

PS: I don't even know what I'm talking about - I don't follow racing at all - I just thought the debate on ESPN and the news was "fun" stuff - sorta like softball battling baseball for supremacy of something?
    Mike
  • Options
    Not that serious. I'm just a long time racing fan and love Indy.

Back in the 90's George, who owns Indy, began his own league the IRL. He made teams race in a certain number of IRL races in order to race at Indy. The 500 was a joke for about 8 years until CART (the original league) basically went belly up and the good teams switched to the IRL.

At one point a few years ago the race actually did not sell out, which says a lot.

The Indy speeds and competition have just now come close to what they were ten years ago. It's great to see teams like Penske come to the IRL and dominate, since George was hoping to shut out the long time reigning teams.

Also, I'm a big NASCAR fan, but think that stock cars should not race at Indy.

My two cents.

Correction: USAC is actually the original league and sanctioned Indy before CART existed. Teams did even collect CART points for racing at Indy.
  • Options

<< <i>Not that serious. I'm just a long time racing fan and love Indy.

Back in the 90's George, who owns Indy, began his own league the IRL. He made teams race in a certain number of IRL races in order to race at Indy. The 500 was a joke for about 8 years until CART (the original league) basically went belly up and the good teams switched to the IRL.

At one point a few years ago the race actually did not sell out, which says a lot.

The Indy speeds and competition have just now come close to what they were ten years ago. It's great to see teams like Penske come to the IRL and dominate, since George was hoping to shut out the long time reigning teams.

Also, I'm a big NASCAR fan, but think that stock cars should not race at Indy.

My two cents.

Correction: USAC is actually the original league and sanctioned Indy before CART existed. Teams did even collect CART points for racing at Indy. >>

Good report Keith
    I was still just messin' with ya - I'm getting warmed up for the sunday feast and beer-fest - I hope you have a good one too!

Seriously tho, doesn't the poll sitter look like Vin?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    One other thing on Danika...

If she doesn't win races, she'll be the Anna Kournikova of the sport and be just a hood ornament for the IRL.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    I don't care who's driving, it takes more guts than one can imagine to point one of those little cars into the first turn at 220 mph and not let up on the gas. She's not there for her looks--she's there because she can drive. My first Indy 500 was 1961 image and haven't missed one since, even though the last 20 or so have only been by TV. It's been a while since I've been this excited about watching the race.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Kanan does look like Vin, only probably a lot smaller. image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't care who's driving, it takes more guts than one can imagine to point one of those little cars into the first turn at 220 mph and not let up on the gas. She's not there for her looks--she's there because she can drive. My first Indy 500 was 1961 image and haven't missed one since, even though the last 20 or so have only been by TV. It's been a while since I've been this excited about watching the race. >>

Mac
    Sex sells...it will be interesting to see if more people watch the race?

On that note...did anyone watch the Spurs play last nite? Until the Suns gained back 10 pts. on them, they looked like pure poetry!!!

Some of the best basketball I've seen in a while. I think "Pop" is underrated, as is, the Spurs.

The reason I bring this up Mac is for the same reason - the Spurs are not flashy, sexy - they play old fashioned "team" ball - Duncan is more like a throwback - a rich player who works Hard for the Money!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Sex sells >>

No question about it. And I just saw her in an interview saying that she knows her looks helped get her to this point. But she's still the real deal, at least I think so. I wanted to say that I respect her for her skill and her courage, because, ultimately, that's what it takes. But, even if she were not starting in the 2nd row, still ...

<< <i>I'd hit it!!!! >>

Have a good weekend!!
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't care who's driving, it takes more guts than one can imagine to point one of those little cars into the first turn at 220 mph and not let up on the gas. She's not there for her looks--she's there because she can drive. My first Indy 500 was 1961 image and haven't missed one since, even though the last 20 or so have only been by TV. It's been a while since I've been this excited about watching the race. >>

I would think it would be safe to say that ALL drivers in the Indy 500 are their because they can drive. I am sure that ALL the drivers have been winning Go-Cart races since they were 8 and then have worked their way up throught the various circuits.

My question would be how many Rookie drivers have actually won the Indy 500?

Not knowing the answer I would say that the number is probably very few.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    She set the pace with the fastest starting position for any rookie ever.

She is on a team that knows how to win (this team won the race last year), and they have loads and loads of money to put into R&D. With as much money as they have on this, she wouldn't be driving if she didn't have the skills to win it.

The only question that seems to come up is if she can withstand this race for 500 miles. I have no doubts she can, but it seems to be mentioned often.

And the above poster is absolutely right about the IRL splitting from CART setting racing back years...I remember when the Indy 500 was an EVENT, hell, I can't even remember the last time I watched it...let alone cared enough to watch to see who wins.

And it doesn't help the money is so much better overseas...drivers come here, race for a year or 2, then bolt to the big paydays overseas.
  • Options
    Ax
    Not a lot of people here will watch the Indy 500? You would be surprised how many people in numerous boards acrossed the land don't watch any sports on a regular basis. Especially baseball which is still probably the most popular collectible market.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Ax
    Not a lot of people here will watch the Indy 500? You would be surprised how many people in numerous boards acrossed the land don't watch any sports on a regular basis. Especially baseball which is still probably the most popular collectible market.

mike >>

I meant it more from a historical aspect...I would recall when I was (much) younger that it was an event...that there were names you could count on to be a force. Nowadays, with the high turnover of drivers leaving to the big paydays of Europe, along with the CART/IRL split years back has really segmented the people who used to tune in.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    If you can't even spell your sponsor's name right, things don't look good. "Hey, I'm gonna go grab some things at Targent, you need anything?"

That said...

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Ten laps to go and she's leading. I'm not a race fan at all, but that's pretty cool.
  • Options
    Not bad!

And as I said - and that was my point - that we no longer just tout skill - we sell/spin sex appeal into the equation - but in the end - skill is what we saw and the IRL was the winner - I watched for the first time in many, many years.

Thanx for the input
    this was very enjoyable
    and so were the Buds!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'm not a racing fan by any stretch. The ONLY racing event I've ever watched is the I-500. I don't follow the drivers careers or other races, and I'd never heard of Danika Patrick before today, but after hearing about her on the broadcast I quickly became a fan and was pulling for her.

stone193 says:

"If she doesn't win races, she'll be the Anna Kournikova of the sport and be just a hood ornament for the IRL."

Ok, so is it fair to say that if she DOES win some races she would be the Maria Sharapova of the sport? Actually, a 4th place finish, and leading the race a good chunk, already has Anna beat in my opinion.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    She stalled in the pits, a rookie mistake, and she had not one, but two on-track contacts, and still kept the car rolling and competitive. Sullivan's "spin and win" happened with no contact. She fought her way back through a good field, mostly under green, after the problems. She made a nice re-start pass to take the lead. She's cool, tough, and talented. She's the real deal. By Tuesday morning, she'll be the hottest female sports figure in the country. Fantastic!!
  • Options
    Mac
    I agree, she seems to be the real deal - I don't follow IRL - so I won't know how well she does - but she will be an ESPN celeb for a while.

She already did what they wanted - I haven't watched an Indy500 in decades and probably won't again - I saw just about the whole second 1/2 of the race and it was exciting in the end when she was leading.

If she wins a race real soon, she may just pull a "Tiger" and have all of us watching!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    NASCAR racing is B-O-R-I-N-G. Indy and Formula 1 are where it's at. Great Indy 500 yesterday!
  • Options

<< <i>NASCAR racing is B-O-R-I-N-G. Indy and Formula 1 are where it's at. Great Indy 500 yesterday! >>

I couldn't agree more. The only NASCAR races worth watching are the road courses...and even then it's marginal.

Open wheel racing requires infinite amounts more skill...and one thing I've never understood but came to my mind last night as I watching highlights of the nascar race, how come you can push a car, make it crash, and not get penalized? How is that 'skill' to get ahead in positions just by making them crash? Is it the motto 'rubbin's racin'? I think it's terrible, but then, nascar does like selling the crashes.

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i think i just stalled in my pit.....
  • Options

<< <i>i think i just stalled in my pit..... >>

Britney knows a little something about getting caught in a "pit stop"!

Mike
  • Options
    I would love nothing more than to give danika the dirty sanchez. that little 5-2 100# frame to flip around and.... uh, huh, huh...

GG

F1 is the shiznit, I freaking hate nascar. I don't care what anyone says, but some 220# beer swillin "good ol boy" race car driver can never get my respect. It made my day when one of them started complaining yesterday about how unfair it was that Danika only weighed 100#, when "i'm" over 200#. Get a clue man and cut out the freaking fat then loser!!! HAHAHAHA I was really pulling for her, but I knew gas was the issue when she started falling back. Excellent race, and will inject some much needed press into indy.

• Options
    Danika is very definitely the real thing; of course, somebody just had to go and make a comment like "She weighs 100 lbs. less than me, of course her car will be fast!"... wasn't that Tony Kanaan? I hope Danika soon greets him with a swift kick in the lugnuts and a good slap, or at least by passing him on the last lap to win a race image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Those pictures cry out for captions. Like the top one:

"I think I need new shock absorbers. Hear that noise?"
  • Options

A little crack can't hurt!!!
  • Options

It's going to be hard to be taken totally serious by some when you're a hood ornament for a 57 Chevy.

I can just see the NOW organization talking about how she just put the womens movement back about 80 years!

If one Danica isn't enough, how about seven!

Me? I'ld hit it!

Mike
  • Options
    i'm renewing my playboy subscription just in case...

GG
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Me? I'ld hit it!

image >>

MIKE!!!! I am surprised.....
    ... and very much amused image
  • Options

<< <i>If one Danica isn't enough, how about seven! >>

I've always said that a man can always use a few extra Danicas.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Saw this while looking through the crap on the Overstock auction site..

"Freshness in a cup, now that's fresh!"

• Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    So does she have any autograph cards through Press Pass?
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Phil Mickelson has bigger boobs than Danica Patrick. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!