Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1967 pete rose weird auction??

i have never seen this kind of auction before??

rose

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i have never seen this kind of auction before??

rose >>

Not at least without some kind of scam Chris

Not sure why the guy cracked it and is now selling it. Then again, perhaps he is using an old flip to make his sale look better? Maybe he thought it was better than a 7 and now thinks better of it?

Well, have a happy Memorial Day weekend!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Wierd indeed - I can understand why someone might buy a graded card and crack it open - afterall we buy the card and not the holder, but what would you put it in - the PSA slab offers a good deal of protection. And the last thing you'd want to do after cracking it is sell it raw - the whole 3rd party authentification that you paid for is thrown out that window - that said, the card does look nice.

Brian
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    There was actually a simlar auction for a 1952 Mantle PSA 3 (I think?). Card was auctioned raw with flip. Sold for next to nothing, came back same grade as flip.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Muddy recalls the same thing I do, that guy who bought a raw 52 Topps Mantle pictured next to a PSA 3 flip it supposedly belonged to. The seller claimed he cracked it out because he preferred raw cards, and we all thought it was a scam. Many other people did, too, because it sold for far less than market value if it was genuine.

Then sometime later the buyer came back and showed the same card in a brand new PSA 3 slab. That's like a bolt of lightning striking where you tell it to, in terms of luck. How often does that kind of auction turn out NOT to be a scam?

But 67 Rose is not usually the bait in a scam. Given the guy's feedback and the fact that card does look NM, I might go for it if I needed the card. I wouldn't pay as much as if it was actually in a PSA 7 holder, but it seems more legit than many raw star cards offered on eBay.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When first looking at this thread I figured the guy cracked an OC or other qualifier slab and maybe thought he might get more for it raw. Not that he would get more for the card raw, but I thought that's what he might be thinking. I agree it is weird but it doesn't appear to be "scammish." I think the guy is telling the truth. He most probably just simply liked keeping his cards in an album with the nine-card plastic sheets. Very nice card!

Steve
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I have done the same thing myself. I used to crack open slabs and put my cards in top holders, so they would fit in the storage boxes I used to use - the PSA slabs were too tall to fit in the boxes.

Then when I sold the cards, I included the PSA inserts, although I expected bidders to bid as if the cards were raw, and not PSA certified.

In the case of this Rose, I believe the seller is being honest in his title and description of the item. A 7 Rose would not be a high risk item for a scam.
    Capecards
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I crack the cards I plan to keep as well and put them in the 1/2" thick screwdowns. I don't save the flips though because I never plan on selling them. This one looks legit.

Lee
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    This is not uncommon so I wouldn't assume it a scam right away. I know a collector with a very large collection of complete Topps, Bowman, and Fleer sets who purchased all the stars graded for his protection and cracked them out to enjoy. Now several years later he has some duplicates that he picked up and cracked out. He sees nothing wrong with doing this because he collects raw, but he has told me that he kept all the flips to include when he sold the dupes down the line. Just goes to show that a lot of people have this same mindset and the thought of coming off as a scammer to graded collectors doesn't cross their minds.

spacktrack
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>Just goes to show that a lot of people have this same mindset and the thought of coming off as a scammer to graded collectors doesn't cross their minds. >>

I'm sure it doesn't, but how are you to know that the flip goes with the card that's being sold? It's like those generic COA photocopies that sellers offer with their autographs. You only have their word for it that the auto in the auction was part of the lot that earned the COA.

If you know the seller and trust him, that's another thing.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    went for 83..somebody believed him!

loth
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just goes to show that a lot of people have this same mindset and the thought of coming off as a scammer to graded collectors doesn't cross their minds. >>

I'm sure it doesn't, but how are you to know that the flip goes with the card that's being sold? It's like those generic COA photocopies that sellers offer with their autographs. You only have their word for it that the auto in the auction was part of the lot that earned the COA.

If you know the seller and trust him, that's another thing. >>

You definitely don't know that the flip matches and I am not advocating buying every raw card that comes with a flip. But, there are people out there that believe their word is good and think others will too. And we all know there are plenty of scammers too. You just have to watch out and look for the telltale signs. This auction didn't have any of those IMO.

spacktrack