Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Leland's Unopened Pack Auctions

I was checking out lelands unopened pack auctions and they are truly humbling. I feel lucky to have been able to save the images of some of these cards to my hard drive.

$100k and you may win a bid or two image

$$$$$

Until then I will remain an abstract observer at best

Julen

RIP GURU

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! I especially found the Ryan and Seaver cellos to be amazing image
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    Would be nice if the titles and prices matched the pictures!
    Some do but some don't.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    That 89 Donruss case is sweet.

Lee
  • Options
    Anybody see all of the great 1951 Bowman cards in there?
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Man, I remember these "fun packs" from when I was a kid. I remember picking up one from a local KMart back in 80' or 81". Pulled a Bird/Johnson rookie out of it.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Would be nice if the titles and prices matched the pictures!
    Some do but some don't. >>

Amazing - guess no one proof read the auctions? Still, I am amazed at all the unopened stuff that continues to turn up at these type of things.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whew - that 57 Topps GAI 9 is awesome! If I won it, how could I resist not opening up that baby? Lots of other great unopened packs as well. That 57 Topps pack I can't afford, but I think I'll take a shot at some of those others.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Whew - that 57 Topps GAI 9 is awesome! If I won it, how could I resist not opening up that baby? Lots of other great unopened packs as well. That 57 Topps pack I can't afford, but I think I'll take a shot at some of those others. >>

Same here.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me how many cards are in a 1970 Topps Baseball Grocery Cello?
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone tell me how many cards are in a 1970 Topps Baseball Grocery Cello? >>

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The centering on that Seaver card is just unbelievable.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Put your doubts aside. These are the real deal. I recall reading on-line about a find a few months ago.
  • Options
    would really like to see something that would validate these, I have read in several places where very advanced collectors of unopened material also have their doubts.

the christmas packs were the real deal at 1 point to until enough people bought them and realized the junk that they were.
  • Options
    packCollector and others...

I've got my eye on that 1962 cello which is the first year I started collecting as a kid. Also watching the 1965 cello. And of course the wax packs.

Interesting point though about the authenticity of the cellos. Naturally one would think that if it's in a GAI slab, it's got to be the real deal. But I was EXTREMELY active during the summer of 1962 and 1965 collecting baseball cards. In 1962, collecting pop bottles for 2 cents each and selling them at the grocery store, then walking to the "candy" store and buying candy, baseball cards, and comic books. Almost every day I was at that candy store. I don't ever remember seeing a cello pack throughout those years. Now very possibly this store owner just chose not to retail cello packs. But this store always had a wide variety of candy, cards, and comics, including even many non-sports cards, so there shouldn't have been any reason not to offer cello packs. Perhaps the cellos were just offered in certain areas of the country? Any further thoughts on this or websites that may have further information on this? Thanks!

Steve
  • Options
    packCollector and others: What is your opinion on the unopens offer by red-zone? Like this or this?
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Here's a photo of a 1962 sell sheet saying cello packs (10 cents) contain 12 cards in a clear wrapped pack. Includes a photo of a cello with Maris on top.

62sell

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    jmoran19 - Very, Very Cool! Thanks!
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>packCollector and others...

I've got my eye on that 1962 cello which is the first year I started collecting as a kid. Also watching the 1965 cello. And of course the wax packs.

Interesting point though about the authenticity of the cellos. Naturally one would think that if it's in a GAI slab, it's got to be the real deal. But I was EXTREMELY active during the summer of 1962 and 1965 collecting baseball cards. In 1962, collecting pop bottles for 2 cents each and selling them at the grocery store, then walking to the "candy" store and buying candy, baseball cards, and comic books. Almost every day I was at that candy store. I don't ever remember seeing a cello pack throughout those years. Now very possibly this store owner just chose not to retail cello packs. But this store always had a wide variety of candy, cards, and comics, including even many non-sports cards, so there shouldn't have been any reason not to offer cello packs. Perhaps the cellos were just offered in certain areas of the country? Any further thoughts on this or websites that may have further information on this? Thanks!

Steve >>

I am not a collector such as everyone here is, but this piqued my interest !! I only found this site while doing research on a Mickey Mantle with auto card that I have. Everyone here was great and helped a lot !! But after reading the above post, I am curious, back during these same years, I bought gum that had baseball cards. I can`t remember the brand, and frankly , at that time we kids didn`t care. I believe there were several brands that had 3 cards each !! Until I looked at the Maris card in the link, I had never seen a pack like that !! Now I am in the lower south, Texas to be exact, so maybe the different type packs are oriented to a particular area. But I am wondering if the packs like we had are very collectable? And if anyone remembers,, What was the brand?

• Options
    Why doesn't Topps publish this kind of info?....What years they issued wax/cello/grocery/etc... with the retail cost and number of cards in each pack. Has anybody ever asked?
  • Options
    Anybody have any experience with miswraps as far as condition/collation of cards? The 5-case (1500 packs!) of '83 baseball sounds enticing image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    One word, BORING! I only get 1 or 2 baseball games per week on ESPN international and all the other sports channels are soccer, rugby and Aussie rules football. And there is no where to buy heritage baseball cards!! The wife better appreciate what I'm doing for her!

Here is another picture of some 1960's sell sheets, plus one for 1970. The fine print related to how many cards are in each type of pack is too blurry to read.

sellsheets

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Man, those unopens are starting to go high. image
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Some of the earlier ones don't seem that high compared to recent prices, I think they've got a way to go.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I'm still getting tempted by some of the grocery cellos. Are there any more comments on those? Perhaps those were more regional distributions? What are the chances that those are re-wraps?