Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Can the Registry be Improved Technically?

How about a brainstorm session for BJ to use down the road to improve the Set Registry. Please list one or two ideas for technical improvement - try not to repeat one already stated if you can help it.

My number one wish on the list is separate images for obverse and reverse.

Comments

• badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Manofcoins on updating the weighting -
    specifically on the cameo for prewar proofs
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My number one wish on the list is separate images for obverse and reverse. >>

Like they do across the street?
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Both above suggestions would be a great improvement.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Somehow allow subsets of main sets so that we don't have duplicate coins in the main sets. For example, in the Lincoln cent series there are 13 different registries. Realistically, we only need 2. One for business strikes and one for proofs. All the others could be subsets. The varieties could be a choice (click) of the lister. So could the date combination included within specific ranges such as 1909-1933, 1934-1958, 1909-1958, 1959-2005, 1909-2005, etc. Steveimage
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to see them add a page similar to MyCollection over at Heritage where you could log in price paid, date purchased, source etc. and possible even scan in a copy of your purchase receipt.

• << <i>Weightings need to be updated and adjusted >>

image Prime example is the Lincoln Memorial set. It's hard to imagine that a 63D OR A 73D carries the
    same weight as a 2003 or a 2004. I know this scenerio has been discussed before.

RegistryNut
  • Once you click on a set name and it lists all of the coins within the set, it would be great to be able
    to click on an individual date to view a page that shows:

Date/mint/variety
    Pop info
    Obverse image
    Reverse image (as suggested by TDN)
    Description given by the owner
    Any other data that PCGS wanted to tie to the date/coin # (mintage, commentary on certain coins, etc).

Buttons to view the next/previous coin.

• RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    WE need a Proof Roosevelt Dime w/Varieties 1950-Date Set image
  • sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Before they do ANYTHING, they need to hire an Information Architect for their website. From my use of their site, I am pretty sure that they do not know what one is.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weightings and sets offered are not technical improvements - let's not go there. Otherwise, great suggestions ... keep 'em coming!
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add a button to contact the owner about making an offer? Add a button to indicate asking price by owner? image

Seriously, add ability to link to JPG or GIF files external to the CU site. Feature only available to "verified" participants to minimize the potential of inappropriate images.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliminate statements on the registry sets claiming "finest known" or "2nd finest known" set when such set is less than 50% complete.

I don't know how many times I've seen such statements when the owner had 3-4 coins listed out of 50 to 100. And in fact they did have the finest set registered.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come up with a way that we can just load our pictures no matter what size into the program. Have the program automatically size to fit. eBay does this when you load a auction. And as said before obverse and reverse pictures.
    Also it may not be a technical issuse but the weighting system needs to be revamped especially on the larger sets.
    Also need more space in the remarks section. About five words now and your out of room.
    A private section on each coin only accessable by the owner. For inventory information woild be nice also as mentioned before.
  • badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    TDN

What are you looking for here?
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
    Ideas for BJ to use when she has the time to think. image
  • rabbitracksrabbitracks Posts: 538 ✭✭
    My personal request is to be able to see how many visitors have veiwed my sets. I have asked HRHall twice in Tuesdays Q&A but NO response to either request. I stated the sets across the street has this feature and is a big hit. I think that not enough sets have photos to view so why put a counter to see which sets have been veiwed? Just another expense out of his pocket? All I can say about this subject is imagerabbitracks RED WHITE & BLUE Lincoln One Per Date Set W/Photos
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Make a COMPLETE Modern Commemorative set consisting of all the proof AND uncirculated commemoratives.
  • MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    How about a collection set. In this set you could add any coin from your collection like an inventory list. This way if you have extras from your registry sets other members can see what you have. This could increase trades, sales or just a nice way to track inventory! Fred
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weed out half the unnecessary sets registry catagories and drop inactive sets (no activity within the set, not already in the top ten) for one year...).

peacockcoins

• morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Suggestion 1) For those too incompetent to connect/ download pictures--much less get them in the Registry, provide a link with a set of step by step instructions for the coins already photoed in the "My Collection" list of Heritage computer. Pcgs is doing a kiosok(?) something with them anyway are't they? And ANR actually has nice photos in their files of previous auctions. As long as ANR's spending money to advertise banner ads at PCGS Forum, give SIMPLE READABLE instructions/ provide technical improvements to import some auction photos to PCGS registry.

Suggestion 2) Once this tech work is done, publish a book "Downloading digital photos to your computer for Dummies (and posting them from auctions at PCGS Registry)-- I'll go $14.95 for starters! Might even sign up Platinum too!!

Suggestion 3) This isn't non-technical weighting --it's a programing problem. The 2 Morgan Prooflike registries have different weights for non-PL Morgan, PL Morgan, and DMPL Morgans. Yet the main set and some subsets-- IF I"M CORRECT, don't link to these bonus weights. So you get no extra credit for an MS66 DMPL 1882-CC Morgan, over a plain old common overpriced (hee- heee) 1882-CC MS66 Morgan! Now maybe they do, but it's not listed in the weights explained at the bottom of the regular stike sets or subsets like CC Morgans-- Further (I presume) they add ponts for PL Trade and older dollars. Really a consistency/programing issue if I'm understanding the weights correctly for Morgans per their written lists of date weights.

morgannut2
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    TDN; Is this thread the result of NGC's ad in this week's Coin World about the new features coming to the NGC Registry? Based on the ad, I'd say that BJ and the CU tech staff better come up with a more pazzaz Registry site. JMHO. Steveimage
    No - I haven't seen that ad.

This thread is the result of trying to post interesting threads on this Forum. image
  • numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
    I find the Registry update page to be rather painful. I would like a means of FTP'ing my pictures in the Registry or the Registry to use pictures already on the internet via links.
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    If this is your idea of interesting I will avoid any other thread you start.image

Technical improvements....yeah...have a "sneek a peek" button that allows you to print a "closed" set one time a month.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

How about "Who Will or Could replace BJ when she retires in Paradise ?

Stewart
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if more technical improvements other than the obverse and reverse pictures idea will make things better.

One of the best features of the Registry concept is its simplicity. Adding too many more features might ruin it.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Weightings need to be updated and adjusted