Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Buying raw off eBay

I know buying raw is a crapshoot, but since so many threads are negative I decided to share one of my positive experiences. I bought a 33 Delong McManus and the seller represented it as VG-EX condition. Knowing how tough these cards are, I lowballed a bid and won. A few months later I sent it away and…

It came back as a 5 image

Brian

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    "Beavis, I have seen the top of the mountain and it is good"
  • That's cool Corn. Nice pick up. I am just entering the world of grading and all of my vintage cards are raw and would like to keep it that way but it is not smart for obvious reasons anymore. Buying raw is risky but it does happen successfully as you proved that point. I was talking with a gentleman from RG Edwards....they were verifying me for their auction......and we chatted a bit about what I collected and mentioned to him a specific card I was going after in the auction. I was amazed at the counterfeit opportunities out there but he did day that for the most part ebay was ok but you really really really have to know your business to be successful there. Some things I'll take a chance on ebay...others I will not. Glad to hear a success. I think what the RG Edwards guy said is very true.....you have to really know about what your buying. I am glad there are forums like this one around. Some guys on here saved me from a card deal disaster with a PRO graded card. Graded or Raw...can be a crapshoot on ebay IF you don't know what your doing. Looks like you know your stuff. Again, nice going.
  • I have two very good stories concerning this.

1. Bought a 36 Goudey Cochran for $85 described as "EX-MT". Came back NM 7!! Only 2 better and the last two 7s on ebay sold for $900 and $700 (SMR $150...HAHAHAHA).

2. Bought a Ace Bailey 33 goudey sport king described as "I don't know how you could find one in better condition" from a seller that sold old crap. No history of selling cards at all. Got it for $70. Came back a NM 7. (SMR $550...HAHAHAHA again) sold it on ebay for an even $1,000 buy it now after it was listed for a whole 3 1/2 hours. I guess I should have listed it for triple SMR...

Success stories are there, but they are very tough. I also got a 38 Goudey Foxx raw at a card show for $300. Did the PSA 2 hour service and it came back a 7. Books for $650, but I wouldn't let it go even for a grand. Simply beautiful.

GG
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    nice card, brian..
    ·p_A·
  • great story. i've had a few good raw finds....best one was a hank aaron 1960 card that was listed as NM but only sold for $50. I sent it to PSA and it came back a 7. Sold the card on ebay for twice the amount i paid.

one of the better stories on this board is from novocent. he bought a raw 33 (or is it 34?) feller goudey. got it back from psa as a NM 7. If he sold it on ebay, he would make 3 to 4 times the amount he paid.
  • OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Not a big deal but I bought this baby raw on the bay for $2.00 listed as ex+ and sent it in......nrmt-mt 8 sweet. We all know how tuff the first series 69 OPC is.

There are decent raw sellers on the bay. When buying raw you just have to look the scan over carefully and ask questions if necessary. Remember most people couldn't care less about grading commons. Stars are a whole other ball game.

JMO, Bob

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Dallas88Dallas88 Posts: 746
    ...sweet - I like the look of that DeLong card - I've never seen them before ---- a new project for me?????

Corn - is it somewhat stable in the holder, or does it have some movement - looks like there might be a bit of room in the slab.....I'm not attempting to cause trouble, I've just mever seen one slabbed before.....just curious - thanks in advance!

Dal
  • Thanks guys for sharing some other stories too - there is still some good raw on eBay.

Dallas, The card is stable in the holder because there is a sheet of plastic wrap on both sides sealed on the edges keeping it from moving. I think PSA does this when they run out of the correct size holders so they use an oversize holder with plastic wrap. The Delong set gets ridculously expensive if you try to get anything higher than a 4 or 5.

Brian
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Brian
    You puttin' it up on ebay?

mike
    Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have two very good stories concerning this.

1. Bought a 36 Goudey Cochran for $85 described as "EX-MT". Came back NM 7!! Only 2 better and the last two 7s on ebay sold for $900 and $700 (SMR $150...HAHAHAHA).

2. Bought a Ace Bailey 33 goudey sport king described as "I don't know how you could find one in better condition" from a seller that sold old crap. No history of selling cards at all. Got it for $70. Came back a NM 7. (SMR $550...HAHAHAHA again) sold it on ebay for an even $1,000 buy it now after it was listed for a whole 3 1/2 hours. I guess I should have listed it for triple SMR...

Success stories are there, but they are very tough. I also got a 38 Goudey Foxx raw at a card show for $300. Did the PSA 2 hour service and it came back a 7. Books for $650, but I wouldn't let it go even for a grand. Simply beautiful.

GG >>

GG
    I have had this one laying around for years - wish it were a 7 - more like a 4-5.

Good story.
    mike
    Mike
  • Dallas88Dallas88 Posts: 746
    Thanks Brian,

Awesome looking set - saw some on 'da 'bay.

Good Luck!
  • Stone,

that cochran looks like a solid 6 to me, unless it has a wrinkle or corner separation.

I remember when novocent come into collecting the 38s. A pawn shop listed maybe 20 cards and described tham all as "excellent" even though many obviously were not. I won one and it came back a 7 with a very low pop, and novocent got several including the remarkable Feller that came back a 7. I tried to pry it away from him, but he has a piece of his heart on that card and won't let it go. There is nothing like finding a 70 year old card and having it come back a NM 7. I've had 4 come back as 7s so far, no 8s but man does it make you feel good!!!

GG
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I bought 12 1959 Topps commons without a scan for $20 that the seller described as NM. I since have gotten 8 of them graded and they have all fetched 8's, 7 PSA 8's and 1 GAI 8 1st Graded! Does that actually give the card higher value? Actually I will not hijack but I will start a new thread...
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    I've gotten some decent raw from ebay, yahoo and local shops.
    Highlights: 65 Topps Mays, raw, card shop, PSA8! 1956 Topps Mantle, raw, yahoo, PSA6! 1956 Topps Ted Williams, raw, cardshop, PSA5! 1977 Johnny Bench disk, raw, ebay, PSA10 (my first submitted 10).
    Lowlights: 1970 Topps Johnny Bench, raw, big dealer, PSA evid of trim!
    Since I buy very little raw anymore, my experiences have been pretty positive.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    traded a bunch of 60's non sport doo-doo for a 55 topps klu, came back Psa 8!