Home Sports Talk

Olerud Picked Up by the Red Sox

Red Sox May 27: Purchased the contract of first baseman John Olerud from Pawtucket of the International League (AAA); recalled catcher Kelly Shoppach from Pawtucket; optioned pitcher Jeremi Gonzalez to Pawtucket; designated catcher-first baseman Shawn Wooten for assignment.
Red Sox May 1: Agreed to terms with first baseman John Olerud on a minor league contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4403

Olerud is in the park tonight. I am very surprised no other team picked him up first. He has always been a great player as well as an all around nice guy.

Comments

• murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Cowboy Up ? image
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭

<< <i>Cowboy Up ? image >>

Whaaa??
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    This is sad news. Now a great player that I like is on the enemy side. The Yankees should have swiped him so the Sox did not get him.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
    What a smart move the Red Sox did with Olerud. I like the guy even if he is on enemy territory. I cannot help but wish him all the best. If the Yankees are going to be knocked out of the playoffs or WS, then let it be because of David Wells and Olerud--two former Yankee contributers.

I went to the Red Sox game when they were in town on the West Coast against the Anaheim Angels. I wore my Yankee attire, but I just wanted to see Olerud play because I have no idea if I will ever get a chance otherwise.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

Batting .325, 6 HR, 32 RBI in 123 AB. Those are remarkable numbers for roughly a quarter of the season.

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    He has been a great surprise for the Sox - and he has always been a good clubhouse guy as well.

Hey DG, I'll be at Fenway Thursday night, watching the Sox against the Angels...hopefully Olerud will keep up the torrid pace.
  • Going tonight and tomorrow. Angels always scare me in September at Fenway. On the other hand, the Sox rightfully scare EVERYBODY in September at Fenway. Should be an easy sweep....