Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Grading

Hello all,

I am sure this horse is dead but I needed some input. Vintage collector but newbie to the grading world. None of my cards are graded..............yet.... but that will change soon.

Located a PRO 7.5 nrmt graded card from the 50's. On average would I expect a higher or lower grade from PSA or better yet does PRO tend to give a grade higher/lower than PSA? I only want to know so that I can offer a fair price for this card. From the PSA 6's and 7's I have seen this looks everybit a PSA 6+ and maybe a 7 so are PRO and PSA comparable?

And yes.....I am beginning to understand there is no such thing as "on average" in the graded world. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

billfish

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Welcome billfish image

Usually the reason a card is in a PRO holder is because it has been altered.

Many times it will have already been rejected by PSA.
    Best advice would be to stay away from any graded card not slabbed by PSA, SGC, GAI, or Beckett.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    And be very careful of the Beckett's as they will grade sheet cut cards- if it could've come from a sheet, be careful.
    Also, don't have too high an expectation from your first submission. It's pretty rare that someone gets the grades they anticipate, and it can often be very disappointing. Go slow with a small submission, and really look at the cards closely. Seemingly insignificant micro wrinkles can kill a grade. What was considered mint in the '70's will now pull a 5- or worse, if those wrinkles are present.
    Opps, forgot to welcome you!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Wolfbear and others......thanks.

Wolfbear.....that's scary. This is an expensive card for me. They(seller)did mention that if they didn't sell it soon they were going to send in for PSA. Maybe everyone but me knows this? Maybe they haven't sold it because it is PRO graded? How/why does somebody choose PRO over PSA other than what reason you mentioned or other similarities. Cheaper? Quicker? The grading std from my view...limited... seems to be PSA.......period. If you buy it do you have the money placed in escrow until both parties agree? Suggestions?

Thanks again wolfbear and others.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How/why does somebody choose PRO over PSA other than what reason you mentioned or other similarities. Cheaper? Quicker? >>

Cheaper doesn't work because the few more dollars spent on grading with a real company will be returned multiple times at sale.
    Quicker doesn't work either because the legitimate grading companies provide an express service for a little more money if someone's in a hurry.

This thread from last month is just one of many that have dealt with this subject on the Sports Cards and Memorabilia board.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Thanks again wolfbear. That was an informative forum. The dust is beginning to settle and I am seeing the picture.

If I were set up I would just scan the card but I am not so all I can do is ask about DB Trading Consultants and give the ebay # 5196430789. It's a 54' Aaron make an offer deal. I asked for a scan of the back which was forwarded and looks as good as the front. I couldn't tell if it was trimmed or not and I have not asked if the card has ever been rejected by any other service. I would make a fair offer and he has given me an acceptable price...slightly below the ebay $ but now my antennae are up about this PRO service. The fellow offered to find another card if I didn't want to throw down on this PRO 7.5. I have researched the members that responded in the forum you listed and I think they along with you might save me some heartache along with my money? I could see my son 30 years from now going great card dad....too bad it's worthless. Sounds like the best thing to do is steer clear of this card....altered or not? I do have an out as it will cost me 300 bucks more than what I had set aside for this card. Oh, they offered layaway.....oh the temptations. ;-) Hey I hope the card is legit for his sake. This seems like a nice guy and I hate to kick his card or him if he's legit. Thanks again wolfbear! Back to the trading floor I guess. The right card for the right $ will come along.
  • Options
    PRO is a joke. The only thing in a pro holder is a card that has been rejected from all others. If you are a newbee, you can't go wrong with PSA. They will always be there, always be in the top few, and everyone perceives them as legit. New collectors/investors have way too much else to worry about. Stay the course grasshopper.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say this as nice as possible - avoid Pro Graded cards like you would avoid a disease.

Just spring for the $99 and go with PSA for starters. They are the biggest and their graded cards are worth more money than other grading companies. Some say SGC Grading is better on cards from the 1930s on back so you could check out SGC if having these cards.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Unfortunately many newbies don't ask advice until after they bought a trimmed PRO or GEM or AAA etc card. It was that way for me. Like you I was a longtime vintage collector, but I was out of the hobby when the Internet made grading a necessity for long-distance purchases. When I came back, the alphabet soup of grading services was bewildering. I figured they were all the same, so I bought the cheapest. My mistake wasn't PRO, it was a slightly more reputable grader called CTA (now out of business). When they weren't trimmed, the CTA cards were always 2 grades below PSA. I lost a lot of money before I learned the ropes of modern grading.

Like everyone has said, go with PSA, SGC, GAI, with the edge going to PSA for being the dominant force and holding the higher resale value. SGC is very reputable and popular among pre-war collectors, but personally I stick with PSA because of my PSA registry sets. GAI is run by former PSA graders and is fairly reliable -- though some consider them a bit lax with their half-points, a fact that certain dealers are gleefully milking for all it's worth. I have doubts whether GAI is still in the picture 5 years from now.

Beckett's BGS rules the modern-card market, but they are more concerned with razor-sharp corners and perfect centering than how the cards got that way ... though they are not nearly as bad as PRO, which will give a 9 or 10 to any trimmed piece of crap you send them. Don't fall for the myth that BGS 9.5 is a one-in-a-thousand grade; Beckett is issuing those by the truckload these days. Many in Beckett nation are still hypnotized by the earlier marketing hype, so it's great time to sell BGS 9.5. Not a great time to buy, in my opinion. Get a nice PSA 10 instead.
  • Options

<< <i>Unfortunately many newbies don't ask advice until after they bought a trimmed PRO or GEM or AAA etc card. It was that way for me. Like you I was a longtime vintage collector, but I was out of the hobby when the Internet made grading a necessity for long-distance purchases. When I came back, the alphabet soup of grading services was bewildering. I figured they were all the same, so I bought the cheapest. My mistake wasn't PRO, it was a slightly more reputable grader called CTA (now out of business). When they weren't trimmed, the CTA cards were always 2 grades below PSA. I lost a lot of money before I learned the ropes of modern grading.

Like everyone has said, go with PSA, SGC, GAI, with the edge going to PSA for being the dominant force and holding the higher resale value. SGC is very reputable and popular among pre-war collectors, but personally I stick with PSA because of my PSA registry sets. GAI is run by former PSA graders and is fairly reliable -- though some consider them a bit lax with their half-points, a fact that certain dealers are gleefully milking for all it's worth. I have doubts whether GAI is still in the picture 5 years from now.

Beckett's BGS rules the modern-card market, but they are more concerned with razor-sharp corners and perfect centering than how the cards got that way ... though they are not nearly as bad as PRO, which will give a 9 or 10 to any trimmed piece of crap you send them. Don't fall for the myth that BGS 9.5 is a one-in-a-thousand grade; Beckett is issuing those by the truckload these days. Many in Beckett nation are still hypnotized by the earlier marketing hype, so it's great time to sell BGS 9.5. Not a great time to buy, in my opinion. Get a nice PSA 10 instead. >>

WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What was up with CTA, they changed to those blue ugly holders and I started seeing them everywhere. Those holders were nasty looking. What finally put them out of business. Bad rep?

Stingray
  • Options
    JRDolan...that's pretty much dead center/vintage. Guys thanks again. You have been most helpful. I think you might have just saved me a bundle! Glad this forum exists and thanks for your patience. Everybody enjoy your wknd. Stay safe.