Home Sports Talk
Options

Love Him or Hate Him

Did any of you Yankee fans catch Michael Kay's hour long CenterStage show interviewing the Boss? At times I have hated Steinbrenner but as he has gotten mellower in old age I have actually grown to like him. He sure has mellowed. Remember the days when he went through 21 managers in the span of 20 years?

The show was interesting and shows how Steinbrenner was a football coach before he took over his father's ship business. Steinbrenner is a great business man and he made his father's business more successful. He bought the Yankees for something like $10 Million back in 1972 and he had about $5 Million in tax savings from NYC so it really cost him about $5 Million. Today the Yankees are worth over $1 Billion. You gotta admit it, most other owners have driven their teams into the ground but Steinbrenner invests money into his team.

You might think this is crazy but some day old George is going to be in the Hall of Fame.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< You might think this is crazy but some day old George is going to be in the Hall of Fame. >>>

Yes, that is crazy because the chances of that occuring are zero. Unless George buys the Hall of Fame.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Yankee fan I love when George spends money but hate when he gets involved with baseball decisions. I have no real opinion of him as a person, also no real interest to find out why he is what he is.

I didn't watch the interview mostly because Michael Kay is unbearable! I can't believe that people acutally listen to the guy.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'm not at all a Yankees fan, but I think most sports fans would want their favorite teams' owners to be as committed to winning as Steinbrenner. We might like a bit more sanity and tact, but who can begrudge the guy for wanting to deliver a fantastic product year in and year out?
    imageimageimageimageimageimage