Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Which side are you on ?

PSA
GAI
I like the PSA example. Notice the large discount for the GAI card.
I love candy cards

Comments

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    ·p_A·
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Both push the limits of centering standards for being graded NM/MT. The PSA is going for more most likely because it is centered better than the GAI 8, which is very ugly in my opinion.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Why is there a big difference in color from both examples?
    The PSA Mick is pinkish, while the GAI is more tan. Is that normal?
    Also, the black square box with "Yankees" in it is not black or solid on the GAI sample. Also the rectangle box that holds his name looks different on both cards, especially where the black and yellow stars outline. I don't know much about this card, but this is clearly visible. Where's Josh on this one?
    I like the PSA card better.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is there a big difference in color from both examples?
    The PSA Mick is pinkish, while the GAI is more tan. Is that normal?
    Also, the black square box with "Yankees" in it is not black or solid on the GAI sample. Also the rectangle box that holds his name looks different on both cards, especially where the black and yellow stars outline. I don't know much about this card, but this is clearly visible. Where's Josh on this one?
    I like the PSA card better. >>

2 different variations.. but yes, Josh is better suited to answer your question..
    ·p_A·
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Josh does know everything about this card.... trying to remember........... he said the no-box has the missing pixel across from the hat as well
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    The PSA is A LOT nicer and better centered, has better coloring, etc...
  • gmoneystylesgmoneystyles Posts: 349 ✭✭
    The Mick looks like he has a sunburn in the PSA.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Not that I am picking either one, the corners on the GAI do look sharper to me. IMO.

Stingray
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Sting; the GAI example looks like a fresher card.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The left side on the top one bugs me- probably a rough cut. I'd take the bottom one.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The GAI card has something along the right border...maybe a smudge..or a stain.

The PSA card has a little bit of a rough cut on the upper left side.

the auction should be over tomorrow...

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Cards with not enough border on the left side look ugly to me.
    Maybe it's because I'm right handed. Do left handed people hate cards with not enough border on the right ?

Anyway, with 7 hours to go the PSA card is going for about 9 thousand dollars more.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I was going to bid on the GAI with the idea of crossing it over to a PSA 8, but I don't think it would be an "8".
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭
    The Psa Mick has much nicer color and sharpness ! ........Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I'm lefthanded and I like the PSA card much better. The GAI centering looks worse.

Although I'd rather have a perfectly centered PSA 7 than either of those two.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Boy, does Mile High really know how to use the BS to describe that PSA Mantle. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Stingray
  • gmoneystylesgmoneystyles Posts: 349 ✭✭

<< <i>Although I'd rather have a perfectly centered PSA 7 than either of those two. >>

me too
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The PSA auction ended over $7000 dollars more than the GAI

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • My unbiased, non-baseball collecting opinion:
    If the scans are accurate, I'd take the PSA card for the following reasons:
    1)Better color
    2)Better centered

The PSA card does, however, show a slight diamond cut, but not that noticeable. Obviously, since no one mentioned it here.

The GAI card looks, to me, like left edge is trimmed. If you use your srollbar at the edge of your browser window to scroll each card up and down past the bottom edge of your browser window, focusing on the border widths of each card, you can plainly see the slight diamond cut on the PSA card. More importantly though, on the GAI card, you will notice the the right edge of the card is straight, and parallel with the border of the printing, while the left edge of the card is straight, from the bottom until you reach about to where his mouth starts, then it makes a slight angle to the right. Looks strange to me. But I guess it all could be scanner phenomenon.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05