Options
1921-S Morgan question - VAM-1D maybe - with hot lips
I rambled on about this 21-S Morgan in another thread. I took some pictures and a couple of scans.
The coin shows die polishing on both sides. I went through the known VAMs and I think I narrowed it down to a 1I or 1D. The picture of the 1D looks similar, but my coin is overpolished on the obverse too. Apparently it was clashed. You can see a clash mark on the obverse under Liberty's chin. I also see that darn bean-shape break in the lower loop of the second S in STATES. I seem to be finding this everywhere lately.
I said "hot lips", but it's more like a fat lip. Looks like there was some machine doubling/tripling in places (upper lip, lower lip, chin). Add this to the clashing near the lips and it looks a little funny in hand. Can anyone with a VAM 1D verify? Or a 1I? Or any ideas?






obverse_scan
reverse_scan
The coin shows die polishing on both sides. I went through the known VAMs and I think I narrowed it down to a 1I or 1D. The picture of the 1D looks similar, but my coin is overpolished on the obverse too. Apparently it was clashed. You can see a clash mark on the obverse under Liberty's chin. I also see that darn bean-shape break in the lower loop of the second S in STATES. I seem to be finding this everywhere lately.
I said "hot lips", but it's more like a fat lip. Looks like there was some machine doubling/tripling in places (upper lip, lower lip, chin). Add this to the clashing near the lips and it looks a little funny in hand. Can anyone with a VAM 1D verify? Or a 1I? Or any ideas?
obverse_scan
reverse_scan
0