Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I went to my first official coin show :D

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
Well, my wife, daughter and I went, we all had fun and my daughter said she would go again (Oh happy days image )

I have a question though, have you ever seen a dealer throwing coins?

I was beside myself when I saw a coin dealer rattling off prices to a customer and dropping/throwing the coins down on the books... something like this, "Thisone books for 350 but I'll go 200 on it" then threw the coin down on the book, then he would read off another and throw it down on the book. These were in 2X2's

Then just when I thought I saw it all... I saw a dealer throw a RAW coin that belonged to a COSTOMER to another guy, it landed on yet another coin book and then hit the table... They guy said something to the fact of, "Hey Mike, is this the LG date variety?"

I could not believe it.

As for the coin show, it was great, i was a bit over welmed, a bit unprepared to purchase so we only spent 1 dollar on a few darkside coins that my daughter picked out. We basically went for the experiance as we had only a two day notice and we had NO money in the coin fund image

Ray

Comments

  • Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037 ✭
    imageCongratulations on your first time!! Coin show that isimage
    It's great to see (and hear about) new people going to shows. That thing that you saw the dealer do ie: toss the coin down on the book. I swear that's how they make people believe they're "big time" dealers. Dealers who give a crap would not do that. As for the dealer who tossed the raw coins? If I had been the customer, he'd've OWNED that coin at Full Trends! After I pulled my boot out of his a__. There is NO excuse for that and I would never buy from such a person.
    But anyhooo , I hope you go to many more shows!!!
  • Options
    Your home page mentions coins as 'a work of art' . To you , it is something to be treasured . To many (not all) dealers it's just 'stuff' They are not collectors . Coins just happen to be what they hope to sell for more than cost . Slabbed coins are tossed , and get scratches on the holder . Modern commemorative boxed sets have tear spots on them , where price stickers were removed , and smudges from gel ink pens from writing codes and prices .

    Try to attend a few more shows . Not necessarily to buy , but to observe.
    Home of quality widgets
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    As long as you had a good time...That's what counts.image As far as the coin throwing...Geesh, if I took my kids with me coins would be flying all over the place.image


    Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>To you , it is something to be treasured . To many (not all) dealers it's just 'stuff'. They are not collectors . >>


    That's why I prefer to support dealers who are or once were collectors. They would understand the horror of tossing coins.



    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I have a question though, have you ever seen a dealer throwing coins? >>



    Yes I have. In fact watch for dealers who throw them in slabs. Some like to throw/drop rare coins on the top of their cases. The more noise an expensive rare coin makes
    hitting something, the cooler they think it is. The only thing I discover from it is that the particular dealer is unprofessional & has no hint of what collectors are about. They just
    want your money & could care less about the coins. Not to mention chipping up the slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file