Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Latest NEWP: An 1885 CC GSA Morgan

WWWWWW Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭
Hello all,

I wanted to show you my latest NEWP that I traded some coins for yesterday:

image
image

I find it very interesting that the 1885 has the lowest mintage of all the CC Morgan dollars and yet
the price for them is not the highest for that series. I suppose it has to do with the fact that most
never made it in to circulation. I think something like 148,000 were sold at the GSA auctions.
Still, a very low number and one that continues to puzzle me a bit.

Comments

  • Options
    This coin's relative value seems accurate to me.
    image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I love those frosties
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295 ✭
    But... it's white!
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭
    But... it's white!

    I know, I know... I must be losing it. image
  • Options
    Nice Morgan. What I find interesting, is that folks pay $350 for a VG 1885-CC, when they could buy a MS GSA for about $150 more.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just try finding a 85-cc in vg or vf; its not as easy as it would seem to be.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭
    What I find interesting, is that folks pay $350 for a VG 1885-CC, when they could buy a MS GSA for about $150 more.

    Good point, Mark. BTW: You have some of the nicest Morgans on eBay.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 1885-CC GSA Morgan. GSA Morgans are neat to have. I like the look of white Morgan dollars.
  • Options
    Very Nice!! image

    Looks to be a VAM-3 with the CC tilted left. The VAM Encyclopedia gives it a Rarity Factor of 4 (tens of thousands).

    If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

    My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777 ✭
    Nice looking CC! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭
    Looks to be a VAM-3 with the CC tilted left. The VAM Encyclopedia gives it a Rarity Factor of 4 (tens of thousands).

    Thanks for the knowledge nugget, MAD4MORGANS. I did not notice that fact before your reply. BTW: NGC graded it as a MS63.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293 ✭


    << <i>What I find interesting, is that folks pay $350 for a VG 1885-CC, when they could buy a MS GSA for about $150 more.

    Good point, Mark. BTW: You have some of the nicest Morgans on eBay. >>



    Yes what is even more interesting is it cost $650 for a nice VF 1885-CC or 84-CC and only $1500 for an MS-63 1893-S or 1903-O !!! Of course that was in 1960!! I've been looking for a decently priced 1885CC in F12 that matchs my set toning forever. Why would I want a shiney common coin that sticks out like a sore thumb?
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file