Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking to buy my one and only Morgan: Input would be appreciated

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
Hi all,

I am putting together a color-toned early commemorative collection but would like to add one colorful Morgan to my collection. I'm considering one of these two and would like to get opinions on the actual coins themselves and what accurate values might be? The reverses have no toning but appear to be lustrous. Thanks in advance, dizzyfoxx

image
image
image
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

  • Options
    VetVet Posts: 1,513
    If I'm not mistaken end roll . Nice coin $1000. give or take
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • Options
    Apparently only high end will suffice- go with the OGH- I like its looks- the othe rlooks AT. JMFHO.



  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If I'm not mistaken end roll . Nice coin $1000. give or take >>

    No way will it go for $1000... it should be much more expensive



    << <i>Apparently only high end will suffice- go with the OGH- I like its looks- the othe rlooks AT. JMFHO. >>

    I like both, but the second might not have enough vibrancy, where the lustre lights up the color, as you may want. That said, it's out of a bag... here's a near match:

    image
    image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll vote for the first one. Just personal preference as I like the multi hues a bit better. Not sure you would go wrong with either though for what you need/want. As far as AT, just because they are in holders doesn't guarantee that the toning is natural so just assume they are both AT and you won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well IMHO I don't like either as a 67. The first one seems a bit softly struck for a 67 grade, and the second while displaying a strong strike seems to have some marks on the cheek. If the toining is all that concerns you then the first one is better.

    Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    agree I like the first one best colors are fantastic
    steve

    myCCset
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both coins are superb, with the top coin having a look that is much less common than the bottom coin. It looks as though a lot of light was used to image both coins and, if that is the case, then the top coin might have color that looks muted auburn in more subdued light. Of course, the bottom coin will have less flash also in less light, but the colors will look more as they do now. Buy the one that you find more attractive.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941 ✭
    between the two I'd vote for the first one, I'm not a big fan of the colors on the second one personally. Looks like there may be a couple distracting hits on the second one as well.(?) Is that a partial print at about 12:00 on the first one?
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293 ✭
    Thet are both naturally toned and both out of a canvas bag, the top coin being stored in a bank roll at the end of a roll. The price of art is in the eye of the beholder. A far prettier example of the date in 67 recently brought $3,700 bid by a very knowledgeable collector. End rollers with 100% obverse toning can go from $400 on up to $1000 plus but each coin is unique.. The question is if the second example looks more vibrant in hand--do the colors blast out from the lusterous surface? I can't tell. What I'm saying is end-rollers have a limit sort of in price, but banded bag toners like coin #2 can go higher--YOU have to decide when you see it live. My guess is #1 is a bit nicer, but the scan doesn't tell enough for #2.
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file