Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln and Copper Experts: This One Has Me Puzzled

braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
My limited research has turned up nothing on this proof 1970-S Small Date Double Die Obverse.
I just received it back from ANACS yesterday.
Any help?

image

Comments

  • Options
    Scope it and see if the attributes match any of the CONECA designations for 1970S PR coins.

    Lincoln Doubled DIes - CONECA
    Monthly giveaways for members AND guests!! Current giveaways include foreign mint sets!!!!
    image
    www.Numismatic-Playground.com
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good info!
    I've eliminated PR-12-O-II-E as there is no die chip on the left of the N in UNITED.

    That leaves PR-3-O-III as the only remaining possibility. The diagnosis matches.
    (Interesting how this Coneca report states it is a pop of two coins! I wonder if this would be a third?)
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720 ✭
    I have 5 of those with what appears to be the large date over the small date.

    One big difference, mine are from mint sets. Mine are also the "S" mintmark. They also have appear to have the mintmark tripled. Strange.

    I couldn't find an exact attribution either, though a Breen #2257 was the closest we could come up with.

    I have 3 of them at ANACS right now, been there for about 6 weeks and I'm getting anxious. Still have two more sealed in the mint cello. I was hoping that ANACS would attribute them.

    Mine all came from a single order that I bought unopened in the mint shipping package. I was after the Kennedy halves and these guys turned up. I figure two of them at 66-67 with one having a good shot at 68.

    70-S pennies seem to have a lot of varieties. I've never seen one like that in a proof, though.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    If there is moderate doubling in BERTY of LIBERTY on that coin, it's CONECA die #12. The markers aren't always consistent because of die state.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

    My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I have 5 of those with what appears to be the large date over the small date.

    One big difference, mine are from mint sets. Mine are also the "S" mintmark. They also have appear to have the mintmark tripled. Strange.

    I couldn't find an exact attribution either, though a Breen #2257 was the closest we could come up with.

    I have 3 of them at ANACS right now, been there for about 6 weeks and I'm getting anxious. Still have two more sealed in the mint cello. I was hoping that ANACS would attribute them.

    Mine all came from a single order that I bought unopened in the mint shipping package. I was after the Kennedy halves and these guys turned up. I figure two of them at 66-67 with one having a good shot at 68.

    70-S pennies seem to have a lot of varieties. I've never seen one like that in a proof, though. >>

    It's the proof variety that threw me for a loop.
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720 ✭


    << <i>It's the proof variety that threw me for a loop. >>



    Understood. If ANACS doesn't attribute my mint state ones, do you think you could?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>It's the proof variety that threw me for a loop. >>

    Understood. If ANACS doesn't attribute my mint state ones, do you think you could? >>

    Did you pay the extra $6. per coin for attribution?
    Maybe you don't need to, but I did.

    Here's the ANACS receipt:
    image

    (The 22 P is another, neat story!)
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720 ✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>It's the proof variety that threw me for a loop. >>

    Understood. If ANACS doesn't attribute my mint state ones, do you think you could? >>

    Did you pay the extra $6. per coin for attribution?
    Maybe you don't need to, but I did. >>



    Yes, but it's no guarantee that there will be one.

    I've had a few Lincoln experts look at them and no one has an exact, sure fire, that's what it is answer.

    They don't matdh any variety exactly but they seem closest to the Breen I mentioned before. Still, that doesn't account for all the irregularities. Particularly the large over small date and tripled "S" mintmark.

    I'll just have to wait and see what ANACS has to say. I figured they'd be back by now.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always fun to get them back and rip open the package to see what the Service has done.
    I know ANACS offers FAX service when the grades are posted, but I don't want to know. It would take away from the enjoyment of opening the package!

    -Let us know what happens when you get them back.
    (Did you send them using five day service? If so, usually it's about 15 days or so, from door to door.)
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720 ✭


    << <i>It's always fun to get them back and rip open the package to see what the Service has done.
    I know ANACS offers FAX service when the grades are posted, but I don't want to know. It would take away from the enjoyment of opening the package!

    -Let us know what happens when you get them back.
    (Did you send them using five day service? If so, usually it's about 15 days or so, from door to door.) >>



    No five day service. I have always gotten coins back from them very quickly in the past. I sent off a PCGS economy batch the same day and got it back 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm sure they will turn up shortly, if not I will call.

    I will make it a point to tell the story of looking for a couple of nice raw 70 business strike Kennedys and finding this old unopened package available that I got for a very good price with 5 mint sets. Two of the Kennedys went in the econo batch to PCGS and came back at 66, not sure if I agree with that but I'm not going to open that can of worms again regarding recent modern grading. image

    Edit - Nice find there with that 22 no "D". Cleaned, eh?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see some close up pics of the Proof DDO and the MS DDO. I have quite a number of each and would like to do some comparisons.

    Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file