Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1970 Lincoln: Doubled Date or Machine/Strike doubling?

Comments

  • Options
    Looks like machine doubling to me. The mint mark shouldn't be doubled on a true doubled die variety.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146 ✭
    looks like strike doubling on a doubled die....is that possible?
  • Options
    Strike doubling on a doubled die ? It is possible but I can't see it. Coppercoins will see this thread sooner or later and give a professional opinion.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    What you have is machine doubling. It is flat, shelf-like, and "takes up" some of the normal profile (face-thickness) of the numbers. Additionally, it affects the mintmark as well, which is not possible before 1990 when the mintmark became a part of the hubbed design.

    As to the other question, yes it is very possible for a doubled die or mintmark variety to also have striking flaws. Machine doubling is actually quite common on many of the RPMs of the 1930s, most notably 1934D-1MM-001 (RPM#1).

    It is also very possible for die varieties to also be error coins. I have an RPM from the 50s that is struck 40% off-center. I also have a nice 1959P doubled die reverse that is also a 5% curved clip. In the same roll there was yet another example of the same doubled die that was also a broken planchet error. In addition to all of this I have seen photographs of a 1972 DDO die #3 that is also broadstruck and larger than a nickel.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

    My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks C.D. for your expert opinion. Not only do you freely offer opinions, you take the time to explain a lot about these die varieties- It is always appreciated.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    coppercoins.....you are the main reason I monitor this forum. Thanks for your knowledge. You are truly a credit among many of the debits on this board.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. If I didn't enjoy answering them I wouldn't do it, so we are all having a good time with it. The whole thing "clicked" for me at one time and I suddenly understood the difference and what I was looking at. It was a good feeling. I just hope I can help someone else hear that 'click.'
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

    My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coppercoins
    I also enjoy reading your posts.Thanks!
    Al

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file