Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Trivia geniuses: What is the numismatic connection of this document?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
This little bit of trivia will separate the men from the boys!

image

I trust the winner of this trivia contest will appreciate and capitalize on the straight line above.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭
    Andy -- am I allowed to answer?

    PS -- ever find one of those notes, I'd be happy to write a catalogue description of it for what it really is, even if that Friedberg number is only worth $50! The pedigree might add some value.
    John Kraljevich, Director of Numismatic Americana, Stack's Bowers Galleries
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll need to crop off the top or we'll all look like geniuses. image
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135 ✭
    Its a talley sheet showing the serial numbers of the money used in the pay out of the Linberge Baby Kidnapping

    Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

    First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135 ✭
    Do you own it?
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

    First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    Could you make the image a little smaller?
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Part of the ransom paid in gold certificates?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Bruno Hauptman was framed!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Its a talley sheet showing the serial numbers of the money used in the pay out of the Linberge Baby Kidnapping >>


    It certainly appears that way.



    << <i>Trivia geniuses: What is the numismatic connection of this document? >>


    Andy,

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "numismatic" refer to the study of medals and coins? I never thought paper money qualified.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭
    Shamika -

    Numismatics refers to the study and collectiong of money. In common vernacular however, it is usually assumed to mean study of coins and medals, so in a way, you're both right.

    PS.

    I bet a lot of dictionaries would have a couple of definitions, one mentioning all money, and one mentioning just coins.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I bet a lot of dictionaries would have a couple of definitions, one mentioning all money, and one mentioning just coins. >>



    PutTogether,

    You're right. I just checked both of my dictionaries. One mentions only coins and medals while the other includes "paper money".

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Charles Lindbergh JR., ransom was paid off with gold certificates. This was money..currency that is odd because it is recognizable by a gold seal on the front of the bill.

    After the Lindbergh ransom was paid with these gold certificates (10 dollar bills) the serial numbers were published to find a link to the kidnapper.

    Apparently it worked...

    They attracted the attention by a very observant gas attendant who wrote down the car license plate number on a 10 Dollar note of a German customer that paid with one...a one Bruno Hauptman

    TBIG


    The court jester does not play, but gently pulls the strings…

  • Options
    This was easy, even for me, given I just got done watching the Lindburgh Baby stuff...

    I wouldn't mind owning one of the gold certs, or a gold cert in general.
  • Options
    jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508 ✭


    << <i>Could you make the image a little smaller? >>



    Yeah, make it real small like an eBay image so I can't tell what it is I'm looking at. . .

    Maybe something about currency???
    Jeff

    image

    Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The pedigree might add some value. >>



    The understatement of the week! image

    Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options


    << <i>Its a talley sheet showing the serial numbers of the money used in the pay out of the Linberge Baby Kidnapping

    Dan >>




    Yes this is my thought also.
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

    (Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why is the Lindberg connection numismatic? (JK, not yet, please. Give the other trivia geniuses a chance!)
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Does you mean the Lindberg Medals/tokens?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, JK, your turn.
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭
    Andy -- should I assume you're going after the fact that a certain bearded numismatist claimed to be the Lindbergh baby, even going so far as to change the alleged date of his birth in certain published material so his claim worked better?

    And the bearded numismatist was not Dave Bowers in his late 1970s hirsute manifestation.
    John Kraljevich, Director of Numismatic Americana, Stack's Bowers Galleries
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm - Andy has a beard, but is he a numismatist? image
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭
    If Andy was born in 1928 (or 1930), he's got us all fooled. I want what he's having!

    Of course, could someone really learn that much about dog medals, Central American gold, and patterns in just a few decades? Hmmmmm.
    John Kraljevich, Director of Numismatic Americana, Stack's Bowers Galleries
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 30,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a famous numismatist who was a buyer for a large NY department store
    who may have had something to do with solving this case. Perhaps it was merely
    publishing this list but even his name escapes me.

    He wasn't a dealer, but assembled a vast collection with many great rarities.
    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293 ✭
    The guy who solved the cause was named MacClellan and he actually did collect gold coins which his son inherited (Bruce) and displayed at the Lawrenceville School near Princetown New Jersey where he was Headmaster. True, but not the coin answer I presume....
    morgannut2
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The numismatic connection . . . Lindbergh was the first to suggest the 50 State Quarter program.

    Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536 ✭
    Seems to me there have been several numismatic connections given.

    By the way, this gives me the chance to ask, does anyone here have any of the Hauptman trial shell cents?
  • Options
    markglickermarkglicker Posts: 1,486 ✭
    I think I have it. The $25,000 reward, was paid off in burnished Sacagawea Dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file