Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln Lovers - Need Some Advise on Toning Copper

I have a 1960 PR68 DCAM PCGS in an old GREEN holder. While looking at it today, I noticed that both the Obverse and Reverse have started to get some RAINBOW toning on the rim. This is NOT CARBON spots, only toning thank God. I'm not real big into toning on my Lincolns, so a couple of questions?

1. Is there even a way to get rid of the toning on a Copper coin once it's started.
2. If the toning can be removed, do you think that if it is sent back to PCGS, they would clean it under the PCGS Guarantee?

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
President/CEO
The Rocks Collectables, LLC
TRC, LLC
jderocker003@gmail.com
SPMC Member - LIFETIME
EBAY - TRC, LLC

Comments

  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭


    << <i> While looking at it today, I noticed that both the Obverse and Reverse have started to get some RAINBOW toning on the rim...

    1. Is there even a way to get rid of the toning on a Copper coin once it's started.
    2. If the toning can be removed, do you think that if it is sent back to PCGS, they would clean it under the PCGS Guarantee? >>








    And this is a bad thing?



    image













    PS: You're sure it wasn't there before, and you just didn't notice it?
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Will the toning just continue over the entire coin? I know it is 45 years old already, but what will happen in the next 10?

    I guess the real question is, will the value of the coin go DOWN because of the toning?

    "GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

    John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

  • Options


    << <i>will the value of the coin go DOWN because of the toning? >>



    Yes, and I'll buy it from you today for $25.00.

    image
    TPN
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    I kind of figured you would chime in sooner or later TPN. LOL

    However, the questions and answers are very valid to me. Especially the VALUE question !!!!!!!!!!

    "GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

    John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

  • Options
    ss350camaross350camaro Posts: 4,529 ✭

    There's really only one really acceptable way to get rid of this kind of toning.

    It would require a decision on your part, that i think should be quite easy for you to do.




    ........























    ............





















    .............


















    Send it to me..................... I'll dispose of it properly so it cannot taint the Lincoln pops again


















    imageimageimage


  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Remember SS, I'm right on your heels buddy. LOL

    "GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

    John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Once the toning hits the Cameo Devices it could downgrade the coin from a DCAM to a CAM. You could send it in now for a grade review and a reholder...


    Oh BTW, I'll give you $35.89 for it!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

  • Options


    << <i>Remember SS, I'm right on your heels buddy. LOL >>



    Yep, I see you've added a couple more 70's image

    Once you get the blanks filled in with DCAM's i'm sure you'll pass me up image


    image


  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    That could be a while my friend. These last (3) are killing me.

    "GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

    John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file