Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stop taking your Kennedys back to the banK!

Collectors, after going through your rolls and removing 40% silver, let me suggest you use those Kennedy half dollars in everyday transactions. #1. It really gets the cashier or food server interested in coins, maybe making a new collector. #2. The recipient of the Kennedy half dollar(s) really thinks you have given them something rare and special and it makes them happy. #3. You can strike up a conversation about collecting and tell them where and when the next club meeting is held or better yet, give them an application. #4. It might be the only way they will save their money!

A friend of mine makes it a habit of tipping or paying for girl scout cookies, etc. with $2.00 bills to get people's interest. If you like to make people happy and raise interest in collecting, try half dollars or two dollar bills in your everyday life.

It would be nice to see these things in circulation. I would like to write a short story about how half dollars were a common staple in commerce then just disappeared. Amazing trivia.
Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment. Full effort is full victory. -Gandhi

Comments

  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I use Kennedys in transactions every day - Franklins too, for that matter, and silver quarters and silver dimes. There's one particular clerk at the grocery store whose eyes light up every time she sees me at the end of her line. image

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options


    << <i>A friend of mine makes it a habit of tipping or paying for girl scout cookies, etc. with $2.00 bills to get people's interest. >>


    Be careful with those $2 bills. A man was recently arrested at a Best Buy for paying with those. After being dragged down to the police station and held until the secret service arrived, he was released without being charged.

    As expected, lawsuit pending.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I used to run a coffee shop a while back. I kept some steel and Indian cents, and Buffalo nickels in the register for "special" customers image



    What a nerd image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got (last week) $1000 in kennedys.
    Sorry, but $900 of that goes back to the (different) bank.

    Of that $1000, literally $980 was all BU 2001-D kennedys image

    Wouldn't be too bad except I get it to go through with my son for a few missing dates (we do the same with nickels) and I had paid for the 2001 P&D bag from the Mint last year image

    On the "bright side", I now have paper rolls of OBW 2001-D kennedys to store for the future image

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I use Kennedys in transactions every day - Franklins too, for that matter, and silver quarters and silver dimes. There's one particular clerk at the grocery store whose eyes light up every time she sees me at the end of her line. image

    Russ, NCNE >>



    She sees that roll of Frankies in your pocket.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I use Kennedys in transactions every day - Franklins too, for that matter, and silver quarters and silver dimes. There's one particular clerk at the grocery store whose eyes light up every time she sees me at the end of her line. image

    Russ, NCNE >>



    She sees that roll of Frankies in your pocket. >>



    Franklins? That's his roll of pointed dimes image

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    I use Kennedy’s pretty regularly. There are a couple of coffee shops that I stop by in the mornings and pay for my coffee with them. It is interesting to hear some of the comments I get. They range from; image“I don’t have anyplace in my register for this”, to “These are cool. Where do you get them?” to “I didn’t know any of these were around anymore.” You quickly learn where to and not to spend them. I’ve never had anyone say they wouldn’t take them though. I’ve also been asked a couple of times if I have any more that I can sell them. Or they work well in the tip jars too.
    Always looking

    MS 1883 Registry Set
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787 ✭
    I've used Kennedy's and the odd silver a lot, but you should see the look on their face when you hand over a few Ike's!!! image

    Seriously, pay for a few dollar purchase with a couple of Ike's, and you'll be standing there for a while explaining what they are. image
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720 ✭


    << <i>I use Kennedys in transactions every day - Franklins too, for that matter, and silver quarters and silver dimes. There's one particular clerk at the grocery store whose eyes light up every time she sees me at the end of her line. image

    Russ, NCNE >>



    You call yourself a Ferengi??

    The Nagus will have you excommunicated if he learns of this blasphemy!!
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Seriously, pay for a few dollar purchase with a couple of Ike's, and you'll be standing there for a while explaining what they are.

    Could you imagine using Ikes at Starbucks? You'd end up having to speak to the manager....who's 19.



    image
  • Options
    I would love getting arrested for using $2 bills or any other legal tender. When the dust would clear, my collection would increase greatly.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ever since Russ took the roll of dimes out of his pocket and started using the $20 roll of Kennedys, he's been getting a lot more dates.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Barberman55Barberman55 Posts: 1,605 ✭
    I scored some Ikes at a bank a while ago, and used them for tips at diner's, etc. By the response from the waitresses, you would think that they were getting a great tip, and a rare coin to boot.
  • Options
    I prefer using Kennedy's because you can still get them at the bank for face value and so can anyone else. If you can't, switch banks. I also want to see the half dollar used in circulation so the U.S. Mint doesn't stop making them. Ike's are certainly more of a novelty coin but as you tell I have other motives.
    Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment. Full effort is full victory. -Gandhi
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382 ✭
    I do the same thing with Ike dollars...
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    You are limiting yourselves to just Ikes and Kennedys. I know of many cashiers that look BEYOND COINS. With the changes that have been made to paper money in the last decade it is rather easy to collect a small fortune in 50's and 100's for resale at a later date.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file