Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Excess 80s commons...what to do?

Just curious what others in my situation have done. Through my youth I bought tons of packs, and assembled by hand sets from 1981 through about 1992. However, that left with a TON (talking 10s of thousands of cards) of extra duplicates (mainly commons and semi-stars).

I am doubtful that selling them on ebay is a feasible option, but I don't want to just throw them out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on the best use for these cards.

Comments

• Options
    I give my excess cards to the following types of organizations:

(1) Children's ward of a hospital;

(2) Police - they use them for various children events;

(3) Children Homes; and

(4) Abused women shelters (children often accompany the women).

I package the cards in 100 card lots. I mix in a lot of names that kids may recognize. In addition, the kids love to receive any cards from the 80's.

David

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea packman. My daughter and I were just going threw boxes recently and I told her I was going to throw out all the commons or burn them. I truely like your idea much better. It would be rewarding and maybe we would start the next generation of collector. I.E. 20 years from now "how did you get started?" Well I had my tonsels out and they gave me these cards, and I still have them. Out
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

<< <i>20 years from now "how did you get started?" Well I had my tonsels out and they gave me these cards, and I still have them. >>

and the story goes on...

and I still have them. I bought some more and had them graded. Before long, I flew past everyone on the registry, becoming #1 in almost every 80's catagory. I even pounced on the guy who gave me my first cards.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i> I.E. 20 years from now "how did you get started?" Well I had my tonsels out and they gave me these cards, and I still have them. Out >>

Alternate ending:

.....and boy am I glad I kept them! Since most people just burned them, these are now worth a fortune!

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I.E. 20 years from now "how did you get started?" Well I had my tonsels out and they gave me these cards, and I still have them. Out >>

Alternate ending:

.....and boy am I glad I kept them! Since most people just burned them, these are now worth a fortune! >>

80's common cards worth a fortune???? I am 46 now...........perhaps when I am 90, they will double in value.........image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    You could also consider giving them out as treats on Halloween (packaging them in 50 or 100 count lots). It might be a neat suprise to alot of kids. Beats more junk food!

And of course the charity idea.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Alternate ending:

.....and boy am I glad I kept them! Since most people just burned them, these are now worth a fortune! >>

80's common cards worth a fortune???? I am 46 now...........perhaps when I am 90, they will double in value.........image >>

Only if cardboard becomes a scarce commodity.
  • Options
    Here's an idea:
    Take a softball, and start gluing cards around it. Keep going, so eventually you can claim you have the "worlds largest ball of baseball cards!"
    I wonder how many cards it would take to make a ball 10 ft in diamater?
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some cities have created special large landfill dumps specifically for 80's baseball cards.
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654

Just do what I did. While moving a couple months ago I rented a 10yd dumster plenty of stuff to throwout. Having nearly 100 thousand raw 86's laying around loose in my bathroom closet which I was thinking of building a raw set well never happened. Grabbed the laundry basket tossed em in. In the dumster they go. Low in behold the next day while moving Im inside the house. (Keep in mind I have my boat motors and my good cards boxed up laying outside as well) I look out the window wtf some guys going through my dumster. I come out hey bud what gives, hes literally picking 86s out of the dumster lol I was in disbelief he was happier than a pig in #$##. Ok I said go ahead but dont touch my other stuff. Meanwhile some of my buds stop over laughing in hysterics, the guy leaves 2 hrs later another guy and his daughter stop in hearing from the other guy. Hes got his daughter in the bottom of the dumpster. Funny thing was there was about 5 garbage bags of fishguts from the winters catch lol!!!!!!! I cringe everytime I think of it.

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Axtell,

I collect a good number of obscure players (never to be in the Hall of Fame) in baseball. Can I forward you my wantlists from those years? I would gladly pay you if you can help me get some of these cards that I want for these player collections.

James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Akbar-

Sure thing...shoot me the list...same goes for anyone else who's interested in any of these cards. I like the idea of doing the 50 card packs for trick or treaters, though. Maybe stick in a couple stars so the kids don't think they are all junk. Maybe do some donations, too.

Thanks for all the ideas!
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I've got lots of '80s landfill material, too. I just found out my young nephew in MN has started collecting, so I'm going to unload some of the excess sets on him. I really like the idea of passing these along to childrens' hospitals, hospices, too...

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Axtell!

PM sent.

James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    My sister-in-law is a NYC school teacher. I give her 5000 ct boxes of commons and semi-stars. She rewards those students who do well on tests or exhibit good behaviour with a trip to the "card box" for a handful of cards. My last boxes were filled with Pokemon, Digimon, and 90's basketball and hockey. Sprinkled in some Jordans, Shaqs and other stars. She hasn't had to send a kid to detention for a month now.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Geez OnlyChild,

I hope you did not spend to much money piecing together those 1988 and 1989 PSA graded set, if you did. That money could be better spent on something else.

Stingray
  • Options
    I'd like to praise all those people who actually donate their cards to causes, give them away at Halloween, etcc... For the record though, in the 35 years I've collected, I've never actually seen cards that heve been donated to anywhere, nor have I seen anyone actually give away any. Maybe I just live in the wrong neighborhoods. All junk cards around here wind up in 50 or 100 ct lot's in flea market booths.

Me? I'll save my mega-mound of cards til I die, and let others wonder what to make of it.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great ideas!

I sold 30-40 thousand of them to Kruk Cards about 3 years ago. Had to drive to Chicago to meet him , but that was only about a 3 hour trip and i had about $2-3k worth of sets and cases i was also selling him. I know it was only a fraction of a cent per card, but with enough of them it can add up. Sold all the 1980-84's on ebay and supprisingly enough you could get a cent or more out of them and they would also pay the $7 or $8 shipping....go figure.
    The other option is to go to the local sports bars and offer them up about a thousand of the cards pretty cheap or even free and they can use them as coasters....great conversation for the patrons. Then you can go back a couple weeks later and really stick it to them with the price!!! Well, at least you can ask a cent each and it's a good deal for both of you!

Tim
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com