Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Starting bid a nice round number

$506,791

What a strange number to start bidding at...
I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."

Comments

  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Now, that's some adjustment marks!

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    here's a question.....how many collectors are actually in the market for that coin?
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭
    it only takes 1. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I am. My birthday is in a couple of weeks. I think I'll drop some hints to the wife. "do you mind waiting to retire till we are 99?" "How much do you think we can get for that old orange stripped cat?" "ya know what I would realy, realy, realy like for my birthday ?"image
    ANA 1197201
    Vietnam Vet 69-70 - Semper Fi
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I was willing to bid at 506,790, but this is a ripoff.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There should be a BIN of $506,791.19
  • Options
    The auction states PCGS AU58.

    Is that really as close to uncirculated as possible?

    Is it not damaged as well?

    I'm just curious how it could get the highest of all circulated grades when in any another series it would actually be body bagged.

    I post these questions not in a critical manner, but rather to better understand the basis for the stated grade as I am not familiar with this type.

    I defer the question to experts in the type.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭


    << <i>The auction states PCGS AU58.

    Is that really as close to uncirculated as possible?

    Is it not damaged as well?

    I'm just curious how it could get the highest of all circulated grades when in any another series it would actually be body bagged.

    I post these questions not in a critical manner, but rather to better understand the basis for the stated grade as I am not familiar with this type.

    I defer the question to experts in the type. >>



    The "damage" you see are adjustment marks. In the old days, planchets were hand weighed to make sure they had the correct amount of silver. If it was too light, it was usually remelted. If it was heavy, it was filed down until it was the correct weight, and therefore the correct amount of silver. These file marks often stayed visible after the coin was minted. As they are here.
  • Options
    numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136 ✭
    Where is the Buy It Now?
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777 ✭
    That is such a cool coin!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file