Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Why do you collect what you do?

Instead of a thread on being bored with collecting a particular set, let me ask you why did you start collecting the current set you are working on? Was it the first stuff you starting collecting as a kid? Do you just like a particular set based on design? Just what brought you to collect that set?

Stingray

Comments

• boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    The first year I was really into cards was 1983. Which had a Wade Boggs Rookie in it. And I like contact hitters who move the runners and play the game with heart. Wade seemed a perfect fit. Wade studies the game and takes it seriously as I do card collecting.

But I didnt start only (90% of my focus) Boggs til around 1994 when the card market went boom and there was too much product out there. SO I decided to buy the occasional box and focus on what became my favorite player.
    I even saw him play at old and new comiskey a few times and Met Wade in 2002 At the Az fall league. And thanks to my wife and daughter obtained 4 auto's.
    x
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I purchased an entire set of 1969 topps off e-bay for $1000 about 3 years ago. It was raw, the friggin nolan ryan card in the set had been drawn on, so the ball in his glove was now blue (hehe). I did get several cards graded (2 years later after paying for psa services) and actually did well (psa 8: palmer, tony perez, kaline, frank robinson, rose all star, and 5 commons)(psa 7: aaron, drysdale, mays, rose)(psa 6: mantle, reggie jackson). I also got several cards that had been written on the back and colored on the front (grrrr!).

I have sold most of the other cards over the years in various lots and purchased psa-graded cards in return. Retrospectively speaking it was a good deal for me. I was able to keep what I wanted and sell the other cards, I got over $500 for some 500+ raw 1969 topps.

I have learned (the hard way) not to buy raw cards that look so good on a scan. The probability of buying a raw 1969 card (not in person) and getting a psa 8 grade is astronomically low (all things considered). I have bought several raw cards from a couple of dealers and solidly gotten psa 7's from them, but nothing better.

I started collecting the set b/c I started reading this message board, actually.

Julen

My 1969 Topps Master Set
    RIP GURU
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting about 15 years ago, for some reason I bought a starter sets of 52-1955 topps. Since these were really the first mass issued cards, I knew they would be worth something one day, headless of condition of course! I loved the designof the 55 topps, and since there was no mantle I felt it was more afforable than some of the other topps sets..lol. I had some bad things happen, and my 52, 53, 54, and some 55 topps along with my 59 fleer Ted Williams set was stolen. Anyways over the year I continued the 55 topps set, and completed it in raw form in about 1992. I am about 70% done with the set in graded form, however the Koufax I bought in 1991 is definately trimmed. I bought it solid NM for $225 back in 1991 'cause it had a gum stain. The stain came off and I was the happiest kid on the planet! 15 years later, when I pulled the card out to send it to PSA I realized it was a "helluva" lot shorter than the others...oh well. I also have about 50% of the 55 bowman set in raw form. I kept collecting old cards, but I bought new junk also. I have so much crapola from 1987-1991 I could choke a hippo! I love the solid backgrounds in the '55's as opposed to the "cluttered" appearance of the 56's. I also like that it is the fierst year of horizontal cards, and an ridiculous amount of great rookies and high numbers. RC's of Clemente, Koufax, Kilebrew, high numbers of Rizzuto, mays, and berra not to mention the last card in the set Duke Snider. Not to mention beautiful cards of Aaron and Jackie Robinson, and the ever handsome Don Mossi!
    edited to say I was a kid when I began collecting in 1990, I was 14!
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect several things, so here goes:

1) 1962 Topps baseball - my uncle collected as a kid and offered me my choice of any 5 of his cards from his collection, provided I agree to never sell them. His cards were all from 1962 Topps (w/1 exception). I took home a Mantle, a Gaylord Perry, a Norm Cash, a Hank Aaron AS, and a '61 Mantle AS that day. Decided since I already had the Mantle (w/an invisible wax stain - boo!), I'd for the set. My set is about 40% complete now.

2) 1993/94 Ultra Hockey - Back in 1993/94, I was a huge hockey fan (still am). I came into a decent amount of spending cash and was looking to collect something. I was blown away by the looks of Ultra, so bought a few boxes. I have long since completed the set, but still need several of the inserts.

3) 2003 Press Pass football - in 2003, I got back into card collecting after several years off. My interests had moved from baseball and hockey to football. Having always been a bigger fan of college football than pro, Press Pass was a natural choice. Once I saw that the lowest #'ed cards were #'ed to 100, I decided to try for a master set. I'm now about 80% complete on it.

4) David Carr college uniform items - Was a big fan of Carr during his Fresno St days. I decided to collect his stuff, but restrict myself to his college uniform cards because of the sheer # and expense if I tried to collect ALL of his rookie cards. I have since abandoned this collection (all up for sale/trade, LOL)

5) John Navarre rookie cards - At the time I abandoned my Carr collection, I decided to start over with somebody else, preferrably somebody cheaper. Being a big fan of Michigan in general, and Michigan QBs in particular, Navarre was a natural choice. I'm limiting myself to just his cards from 2004, of which he has probably 200 or so. I've got 150 or so, I would guess.

6) 2001 Atomic Prism Patch Variation football - A co-worker & I stopped at Shopko one day at lunch to pick up some packs. They had a bunch of loose Atomic hobby packs, so we bought some. My friend bought about 6, but I was broke, so only bought 1. It was a good one, though, as it contained my first ever multi-color patch card. It was super nice, and I was hooked. I now have 78 of the 136 patches in the set.

7) 1976 Topps All-Time All-Stars baseball (PSA 8 or greater) - I loved these cards as a kid. "You mean I can get a Ty Cobb for $2?????" About a year ago, I decided to collect these again, only this time in graded condition. I now have 3 of them, 2 in PSA 8, 1 in PSA 7.

My focus on any of these items goes in peaks and valleys and is restricted by my overall cheapness (LOL). At times, the 1962 set is ignored completely (like now), while at others it's the Press Pass that gets ignored. I have found that having items that I focus on and are attainable, it makes collecting much more enjoyable. The only thing is that I still MUCH prefer opening packs to get cards vs buying singles and my focus doesn't allow for too much of that image

Great topic!

Tabe
  • i bought a house in foreclosure. cleaning up the mess. i found several hundred 1954 - 1958 baseball cards ( as well as pre war lionel trains, hummels, comic books and brooklyn dodger auto's) unbelievable but true. i didn't know anything about collecting. went on e bay and checked everycard ( mays, williams, clemente (yel), etc). got the bug and started buying cards on e bay to see where my cards would grade.
    i bought 6's, 7's 8's 9's and a 10. most of the 1958 cards i found "should grade 7 ,8 possibly 9. havn't sent any in yet though. started a registry set last week # 21 master now. i figure i will be around # 15 or so when finished graded what i found. probably will finish set by end of year or next spring, then start on 57 master. matrix
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    I am one of those people who collected in his youth (mostly 72 Topps BB) and then sold it all in a brilliantly stupid moment.

A few years ago I found a small stack that was not sold and had them graded. I have one left, a '72 Aaron. This was the re-birth of my collecting.

In looking at what set to collect I decided on 1959 Topps BB because it is the year I was born. Not in the Registry yet but I am slowly accumulating the set. 7 or higher for commons, 5 or 6 for stars, to start.

The players I concentrate on are Aaron, Clemente and Mays because they are the heroes of my youth.

Got into Topps Heritage this year because I found it was the only way anyone would respond to my comments on this board. imageimageimage

Also delve into busting modern cases to make a few bucks and finance my habit.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Good question, because there is method to the madness. In broad strokes, here it is:

'58 - '65 Topps - the core of my collection; what I collected as a kid.

'55 thru '57 - because I completed my core collection.

Morrells and Bell Brands - collected Bells as a kid; Morrells are just gorgeous and feature my favorite team.

Horrors of War, G-Men Heroes of the Law - just great classic sets.

Early tobacco cards: I prefer sets with people (Exporers, Indian Life, Cowboy, etc.) and I have developed a fondness for two specific 19th century sets simply because the subject matter appeals to me.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • I have been collecting baseball cards since 1978 (except pauses from 1986-1988 and 1991-1995). I started collecting unopened wax packs/boxes in 1978. I thought it was amazing that packs could survive without being opened. I amassed a collection of unopened wax boxes with a run from 1960 through 1985. During the years that had multiple series, I tried to collect one wax box of each series. Between 1986 and 1993 I sold most of my opened boxes to pay my way through college, graduate school and law school. I can imagine if I still had them. I still have individual Topps wax packs from the 1950's through today. In addition to wax packs, I collect the following sets:

(1) 1978 - 1984 Topps: These were the years that I started building sets. They have a special place in my collection. The most important set is 1978 because it is the year I started collecting. Back when I started these sets, I did not focus on centering. Today, I am in the process of upgrading my sets.

(2) 1977: I always wanted to collect this set but never took the time to start it. I am beginning this set now.

(3) 1972: Some of my favorite music was written in the early 70's. This set reminds me of the music.

(4) 1956: I love the design and artwork. This set was always one of my favorite Topps sets. I also enjoy this set because I have gotten to know several of the players that have cards in this set.

(5) 1953 Topps: This is my second favorite set besides 1978 (for personal reasons). I love the artwork. I also found it interesting that there were 3 or 4 artists that drew the pictures of the players. The artists were giving black and white photos of the players and drew the cards without actually seeing the players. Apparently Topps only wanted head shots of the players, however a couple of the artists mixed in full body shots. Finally, the background advertisments are usually tied in to the player on the card.

(6) 1933 DeLong: Although a lot of people do not like them, I always liked them. They were the ugly stepchild to Goudey.

(7) 1964 Beatles: My favorite music group. I love the photos. I do not like the corney write-ups on the Diary cards.

(8) Star Wars/Raiders of the Lost Ark: Loved the movies. The cards bring back a lot of great memories.

(9) 1952 and 1957 Topps: I am just starting these sets. I love the style. The 1957 cards make me feel like I am actually on the field with the players.

David
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I collected sets of cards since my start (1981) until I just got tired of the proliferation of cards just made me lose all interest in cards. Up until that time, I had complete sets of all major releases.

A couple of years ago, I got back into it, and about a year ago began my 1971 topps baseball set because my all-time favorite card is in it (#5 Munson) and it's the year I was born, in addition to those beautiful black borders. A couple months or so ago I began to work in earnest on my 1985 football set again because of the black borders, and because it holds some very fond memories of ripping packs with my best friend at the time.

My favorite player was Wade Boggs, so assembling the basic set was a given...I'd work on an Ichiro basic set, but I don't have enough room for them all image
  • In the spring of 1973 (I was 7) my dad and I stopped in a grocery store. I begged him for a pack of gum but he instead bought me a pack of 1973 topps baseball cards. When we got in the card I opened the pack, took the gum out and handed him the cards. About 10 seconds later the card skidded off the road (nobody hurt) and my dad was screaming "I can't believe it... I can't believe it!!!" The top card in the pack was Roberto Clemente, my dad's hero, who had just recently passed away in a plane crash. From that point on my dad would buy me a pack or two every chance he had.

By 1984 my collection had grew large enough to fill a military foot locker. I would guess about 25,000 cards. That spring I was about to graduate high school and had been accepted to a local college. Since I needed a car to commute to college I sold the entire collection to a dealer for $400 and bought a 1977 Chevy Vega. Bonehead move!!!

A couple of years of ago I decided to relive some of my childhood and teen years by collecting the cards that I once sold. I'm now working on 1973 - 1976 HOF'ers PSA graded. I will eventually have all the 1973-1984 topps cards again.

Shannon
    shambo2000
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started as a kid with 1966 Topps Football because we had no major league Baseball team where I grew up. (Buffalo, NY). Found them in 1989 and started a quest to complete it along with a 67 Philly set. Bought some new products in 89. Upper deck baseball and Score football. Got completely turned off by 1991 with the flood of cards in those 2 years. Came back in 2000 when I discovered e-bay and started a 1963 Fleer football set graded. 12th finest twodueces1963. Stopped again till recently and have begun putting togeher some raw sets. 1961 Baseball and football and a 1966 Philadelphia set. I only wonder how many baseball sets I wouldve had if I wouldve grown up in NYC. Out
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting because I am a "pack rat" - I am compulsive about saving everything - never throw anything away and like to organize stuff.

mike
    Mike
  • ranarana Posts: 242
    I've been working backward collecting major releases of basketball and football earlier than 1990. I concentrate on NM for the 70s and earlier and NMMT for the 80s. I'm done with all of the football from 1988 - 1974 (not counting 15 missing cards or so), and the basketball back to 1969 (-10 or so cards, with half of 1961 Fleer done). I own several graded cards, but my sets are 99.5% raw because it is cheaper and saves space. I have a some 70s/80s baseball from my youth as well, but I prefer football and basketball for collecting/sets. I enojoy the basketball sets most because they are smaller sets and easier to complete. I mainly collect as something to relax and do in the evenings. I enjoy building the sets, going around to the shows and dealers, looking on eBay, etc. I have PSA membership, but don't grade that many cards myself.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting when I was about 6. My aunt gave me all her sons cards that they collected when they were kids. I was too young to realize what I had, the cards were from the mid fifties to the early seventies. So I promptly used them in my bike spokes, took them for rides in my Tonka dump truck and left them out in the rain image Anyway, that still kills me today but that was how I started. My favorite cards were 1976 Topps. As a child I loved the design especially any card that had a Mets player on itimage
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am collecting 1978 Topps in graded fashion. Those who are consumed by a card or sets "worth" will tell you that collecting a modern set in graded form is sheer lunacy. In 1978 I was 9 years old ,and although I had cards from the early 70's, 1978 was the first year I busted many many packs. Those are forever ruined and they fuled the name of my registry set. NO SPOKES FOR THESE 78's. Nothing like scanning the cards into the registry listening to the Bee Gees image HATS OFF TO 1978!!!!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• I collect everything. Why? Why not....
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I collect the 1973 topps (yes I started the other thread about being tired of this set) because it was the 1st set I ever collected as a kid and does bring back fond memories. Most of those memories were getting that days paper and seeing who was traded or sent to the minors, and then writing on the cards saying which team they went to. Geez I can still see the Jim Ray Hart card with scribbles all over it. That poor guy didnt know what happened to him that year!!!.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting in 1980 when I was 9 years old, so that set has a special place in my heart. I love some of the cards in that set, even though QC that year was at an all time low! For some reason, I love the Pittsburgh Pirates cards from that year. Those old Pirate uniforms are definitely unique! I also loved the Team Checklist cards for some reason. I don't know why, but I did...

Mark
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

My memory of it starting for me was all of the news about the "Amazing Mets" as a kid. I had just started a paper route of about 250 homes.
    I also lived right behind the local K-Mart (all i had to do was hop over our back yard wall and cut across a dirt field). My best friend Ron and i would go into K-Mart and go get ourselves a huge banana split, then we would go over to the section that had the sportscards. While i was pulling packs, ron was buying all of the Hot Wheels and Lightning cars. I believe he still has them all in Mint Condition. Ron treated his hot wheels like i treated my cards (like gold!!!) . Of course the crappy players were used as the clickers on the spoke wheels.
    Living in the San Gabriel Valley you had the best of everything here--Dodgers,Rams, Lakers etc..
    My first game that year was the Braves against the Dodgers. We sat in the outfield seats with our little league team. At that time you could still buy the Topps Giants cards, i think it was either 3 or 5 to an envelope for .25 After going to my first big league game i really got hooked into buying cards.
    Early 70's i started following Rod Carew's career. I still have a couple newspaper articles from the local newspaper saying Carew could be the next to hit .400, and dam if he didn't almost do it and Brett!!
    I started collecting every Rod Carew Topps card 's i could get my hands on back then. I haven't actually counted how many Carew cards i have but i would say safely several thousand. I just sent in 30 to PSA and i just sorted out some 60 more to go out at the end of this month.
    Included are all of the OPC'S as well. My first sub is 573713 and zip is 98684. Can't wait to see the grades!!
  • Growing up in Wisconsin, it is almost bred into you to watch the Packers. Yeah, they sucked when I was a kid, but in 1992 everything changed with a young man named Favre. The rest, as they say, is history.

Last year, I got back into collecting after a 13 year absence (when I was around 12).

First thing I wanted was Favre rookies.

As of Sunday night of this week, I finally completed my Favre rookie set! Of everything, there will only be 2 cards that aren't the highest graded, a 1991 Stadium Club Super Bowl XXVI (hoping for an 8, but probably a 7) and the PSA 8 1991 Wild Card 50 Stripe (both of which I am looking to upgrade). Just about everything else is Gem Mint PSA 10s (save a PSA 9 1991 Wild Card 5 Stripe, and an ungraded 1991 Wild Card 100 Stripe).

I am done (for a while), as the checkbook needs a breather. lol

~IMS
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am currently working on a major upgrade to my 1962 and 1952 Topps set - the 52 is still not yet complete. The 1962 was the first set I collected as a kid, and the 1952 we all know about - simply a beautiful set. But I've never seen a 50s or 60s baseball card that I didn't like. Of course I like some more than others - LOL.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Working on a hall of famers set, very challenging for some of the 19th century guys.
    Capecards
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    This has been a great thread to read. Thanks for sharing, everyone! Some comments:

- Stone193 (aka Mike -- same as me), it must be in the name. I've got sooo much stuff. My wife calls it my "collection of collections". I wonder if N162Collector's name is Mike, too -- "why not (collect)?"

- softparade - I looked at your '78 set pics. Wow. What an awesome quality set you've got going! I'll have to get the scanner warmed up and share some of my treasures, too.

The '62T bb was the first set I collected as a 9 year old. I had some neighbors who would go to the closest drug store (Kretzchmar(?) Drugs in Fairmont, MN) with me to buy the wax packs. I've got some very fond memories of trading, using the doubles in the bike spokes, etc. One of the neighbor's had an older brother and he'd "borrow" his cards to trade for the current superstars. That's the only reason I have the earlier cards I do, including a nice '61 Mantle.

I can still almost taste the cookie that came with the '63 Fleer packs...

hh
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I collect 1975 through 1980 Topps Baseball All-Stars, 1976 Topps Football All-Pros, and 1977 Topps Football All-Pros. These are the cards I primarily collected when I was a kid. Plus, I really like having a variety in my collection: all-star players from diffferent leagues, across teams, rookies, ranging from superstars to HOFs to everyday players. I have always been fond of "all star" cards.
  • My first packs were 1986 topps, my favorite childhood player was Nolan Ryan. Got into the craze in 87, buying packs then immediately selling them back and opening more packs until I ran out of money and had a bunch of crap. Opening packs was pretty cool, as well as the chance of actually making money by simply opening a wrapper!! I have a dead collection of nolan ryans. nearly every major issue except his RC and 1972. Never could find the 72 at my local flea market and card shops, and couldn't afford the RC. Still don't have them and my Nolans have been in storage for years and yeeaars.

Got back into the "market" after the crash of the Nasdaq several years ago. While I stay true to the stock markets, the wild speculation bit me in the ass so I've decided to diversify some assets into tangible goods... cardboard. image

As a kid I always liked the 52 topps cards and the 38 Goudeys. I liked the challenge of a big set at first and had 440/489 for a 52 master set with the 2 errors, when I realized the cards were really very common in lower grade. So I sold it off (made a couple hundred bucks) and went for a "tough" set in better condition. I was immediately drawn to the 38 Goudeys and briefly got into the sport kings but the sport kings are so damn competitive I quickly realized I would need tens of thousands of dollars to get a complete mid grade set (3-4). Not wanting a mid-lower grade set I dumped that (made just under two thousand on those) and concentrated on my 38s. Right now i'm sitting at #6 all time on the registry and would love to crack the top 5. Not too far away, but finding these in 6-7 (my ultimate goal) is a huuuuge test of patience. Unfortunatley i'm afraid the 38s are going to explode thanks to a very high grade complete set coming to auction this fall.

So ultimately its a nostalgic hobby that won't lose me any money... unlike many speculative stocks.

GG
    On the collecting front:

I have had a few friends/acquaintances crash and burn recently - they seem to have hit the wall in collecting. It could be a combo of OCD collecting exacerbated by the competition of the registry, board chatter etc.

As a long time collector, I have learned - the collecting road is best challenged as if one were running a marathon instead of a 100 meter sprint.

When you see your blood pressure rising above the Dow, it's time to take a break!

If you can honestly look in the mirror and say: I'm not having fun - it's time to take a break!

If you wake up in the middle of the nite or in the morning with flashbacks about bad ebay purchases or thoughts that you spent too much, etc. - it's time to take a break!

This is not meant to pontificate but rather to share some of the things that I, like any recovering OCD, have gone through.

Together, here, we can help each other navigate the shark infested waters of collecting.

mike
    Mike
  • JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭
    My friend's older brother game me a lot of 1968-69 topps hockey cards back in 1975 or so. Beliveau, Cournoyer etc. I started buying packs as soon as I could.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting as an 8 year old in 1978. By the time I was 15, I was buying and selling vintage like crazy only to build and upgrade my own sets.

But, alas, Im a classic sad story....had beautiful raw sets 1948 Bowman, 1952 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1953 Topps, 55 Topps, 60 Topps, 62 Topps, 66 Topps and 68 Topps right on up with many other T-cards, Goudeys, and some other oddball....until my ex took me for the ride of my life.

I had given up for a long time but I jumped back in a couple of years ago. I buy graded cards here and there but 95% of my collection is raw. I am currently putting back together all my 70s sets...somewhat less expensive and quicker to build. I also got hooked on the Topps Heritage sets. And...once in a while I'll pick something up like a couple of 1941 Goudeys in great shape that I recently came across.

Im just glad to be having fun doing it again even if I did lose my ass a few years ago.

<< <i>Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I was going to start something like this, so I just did a search and found this one.

>>

No worries. It's a good bump!

My collecting focus has changed a lot since I joined cu. Now I collect three main things. Emmitt Smith cards, Dallas Cowboys RB"S and 1994 Pro Line Live Autographs.
    I collect all three of those things because they take me back to a time in my life when things were a lot simpler.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I collected high graded examples of cards.

Honestly, I cared more about the flip than anything else. Had quite a few 9s that looked like 10s and I was mad they were not in 10 holders.

And had some 10s that looked like 8s and that made me happy as a pickle.

I got back into collecting after the birth of my now 17 months old son. My collecting focus has shifted to finding cards that look better than their assigned grade.

Have to say I've had more fun and funds the last few months collecting this way than I did before (highlights pictured at the bottom).

As far as sets...I have my 1989/90 Topps Hockey PSA 10 set that I recently started. The criteria I set in place will keep this project alive for a long time and enable me to rip open packs and sub cards here and there. Now, unlike my collecting years prior, I really want these 10s to be 10s!

Also picking up things here and there like empty display boxes, wrappers and unopened product.

Some highlights:

• Started to buy packs in 1965 as a kid didn't throw any away love the design of 1967 set(so that means I like 1957 design too) Had over 3000 1969 anything that graded PSA,8 or above went into a master set. I brought an open pack of 1951 red back at a show in 1980 in Detroit started this set . It was allot of fun buying packs trading and waiting for the next shipment of topp's to come in at the candy store we always brought them out the first day.
  • My favorite aspect of the hobby is player collecting and I collect my favorite players from when I was growing up: Yaz and Andre Tippett.

I'm also very enthusiastic about collecting Gino Cappelletti, but that's a little different story. When I got back into the hobby in '04 and started focusing on Yaz (but not nearly as focused as I am now) I was looking for a Patriots great to collect vintage cards of. I knew Gino as an announcer and had heard that he was a great player back in the day, on Patriots teams that were sorely lacking in additional stars. So I picked up a few of his here and there. Again, like with Yaz, I'm much more dedicated to my Gino player collection nowadays.

• << <i>Who was the Patriot "great" from the 70's or 80's ?

Was it Steve Grogan ? Someone else ? >>

I was referring to Gino Cappelletti, who played most of his career in the 1960s. As I said, those were lean years.

Regarding your question about Patriots greats from the 1970's and 80's, 3 Patriots players from that era are inducted in Canton: mike Haynes, john Hannah and andre tippett. The latter 2 spent their whole careers with the Pats, so one of them is your answer.

And Grogan sucked.

<< <i>

<< <i>Who was the Patriot "great" from the 70's or 80's ?

Was it Steve Grogan ? Someone else ? >>

I was referring to Gino Cappelletti, who played most of his career in the 1960s. As I said, those were lean years.

Regarding your question about Patriots greats from the 1970's and 80's, 3 Patriots players from that era are inducted in Canton: mike Haynes, john Hannah and andre tippett. The latter 2 spent their whole careers with the Pats, so one of them is your answer.

And Grogan sucked. >>

Mosi Tatupu has to get an honorable mention just for having a kick ass name. image
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting in 1990. I needed a hobby. I was making good money then. I don't follow any sports. (Does that make me a bad person ?) My wife thinks I'm crazy for it too. I was one of the people that bought almost anything Topps did for baseball cards. I started building Topps baseball sets around 1995. I won an Ebay auction for about 25,000 Topps baseball card commons for about $300.00 shipped. They were from 1976 - 1988. At one time I was working on 25 different sets. I finished about 5 or 6 by trading on different site and by attending card shows around Boston in the mid to late 90's. Anyone remember card shows ? Around the same time (1995) I started buying vintage pre-war cards. And found out there were players with the same last name as me. Both pre-war and modern stuff. Just a different kind of player collection.
  • I like Alex Rodriguez. Plus I like the cards I couldn't afford as a kid collecting growing up...81-85 topps with my favorite players growing up
    .Looking for ANY National Bank notes of Skaneateles, NY
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting in the mid-late 80s as a young kid. Bought cards off and on the past 20 years and then really got back in the last few years and started focusing on a hockey HOF Rookie collection. Someone above me used the sprint/marathon reference and I agree, for a lifelong collector like myself the key is having a collection that I can pick away at for 20-30 years. Hockey HOF is a big set, and the pre-war cards can be pretty tough to find. 20 guys collect it and there are only 3 over 80%. I'm at 20% after 18 months so on a good pace.

Not even sure I will be able to finish it but it gives me a good focus and there are some sub sets that fit in like 500 Goals and 1000 points that I'm getting close on. Also future HOF set fits in well although the composite is a bit of a joke, no offense to the Middleton family but Rick ain't getting in.

<< <i>Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I was going to start something like this, so I just did a search and found this one.

The reason I have a small little collection of my own is obviously to remind me of my childhood. I'm not a huge collector like some, but I have just
    enough to put a smile on my face. image >>

And that's what collecting is all about. Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Growing up in Chicago, I started collecting cards around 1985-1987. I remember 87 Topps (eek!) and Donruss are what I spent most of my money on. But most importantly I was watching NBCs Baseball game of the week with Scully and Garagiola and it introduced me to a player named Don Mattingly.

Since then I always wear/wore his number when I play in recreational baseball leagues and have made a website (donnie23.com). I started collecting Mattingly PSA registry in Nov 2013 and have made great strides in both sets in that time. Unfortunately for my collecting process, my friend has been handling all of my eBay purchases while Ive been in Korea for the past year so needless to say its sucks that I cant open and organize my collection myself. I also plan to start an art project with his cards when I get back to Korea (My vacation to the U.S. is 1/3-1/24).

I also collect Mark Buehrle, my favorite pitcher (White Sox bias, of course). I know he's not the best but I have always loved his what he has done on the mound.

I have just started thinking about collecting an 80s set, but I dont know what set to decide on.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I collect BGS graded Michael jordan cards, preferably in BGS 9.5 but definitely will settle for less on tough or really expensive cards.

Michael Jordan is my favorite bball player and all those 90's inserts just look so damn cool!
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

And Grogan sucked. >>

Grogan was the reason I even enjoyed watching the Patriots in the late 70s and early-mid 80s. LOL Growing up in Northern NY, it was the Patriots games that were on our TV most of the time because our television station was out of Burlington, VT. It's a wonder I never became a Patriots fan. Now even less because I am not a fan of Brady even though he is a great QB.
  • MJ. Why? GOAT and boyhood idle. Love his play. Wish he was a better GM/owner and could make a decision and stick to it.

• MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MJ. Why? GOAT and boyhood idle. Love his play. Wish he was a better GM/owner and could make a decision and stick to it.
    image >>

Sweet card