Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Molitor/Trammell BVG 9.5

Auction Link

Looks like a fairly solid card. My knee-jerk response to it visually is that the PSA 10s I've seen have looked just a tiny bit nicer, but that it's as good or better than just about every 9 I've seen--this is mainly a reaction to the centering, I think. Closer inspection suggests the centering is probably better than I gave credit for on first peek.

It will be interesting to see what the card goes for. I'm predicting that it will not hit the ~$1500 level of PSA 10s and SGC 98s that have come up in the last couple years, but I certainly could be wrong.

While I'm thinking about it, what are graders looking for in determining the "surface" subgrade? It's the theoretical weakness on this one, having received a 9, but I find that surface issues are difficult to observe in scans because you can't be 100% sure of the actual color quality. For example, I've seen pictures of Molitor/Trammell rookies that appeared to have more vivid color (most noticable in the red border), but I can never decide how much of that is the scan and how much is the card.

Other thoughts?

Peter G.
Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    You shouldn't get as excited about BGS 9.5 as people once did (and many still do). In my opinion, Beckett has loosened up its standards as a business strategy. As a result recent submissions are now filled with 9.5's and even 10's. Once 9.5 was the holy grail in Beckett nation, but now it is almost the default grade on modern cards. Volume is now the best revenue decision -- the company has fattened up the goose, and now it's time to cook it. You will see the 9.5 population go through the roof and those who paid astronomical prices for that grade in recent years will lose astronomical money when they try to cash out, if they wait too long. Again, all this is my opinion (and not only mine).

Aside from my usual anti-Beckett rant, I would be concerned that the surface grade on all 4 of the cards pictured are lower than the other subgrades. Much lower, in 3 of the cases. As I have painfully learned and others will tell you, that usually indicates a sheet-cut card that PSA will treat as a trimmed card and refuse to cross over.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there will be a PREMIUM placed on the BVG/BGS cards that were purchased prior to there new policy of easier grading and the coinciding placement of the subgrades on the front of the cards.... all my BGS/BVG cards have the grades on the backs and were purchased about 4 years ago...none since!

loth
  • Options
    The observation regarding the surface grade is interesting--I hadn't heard about that before. Out of curiosity, what is it about sheet cards that makes their surface grades tend to come out lower?

I haven't paid super-close attention to Beckett grading, mainly because I dislike that there are multiple advertised standards (BVG for older cards, BGS for newer, BCCG for a what I would call a back-of-the-envelope grade), to say nothing of how their standards are or are not evolving over time. Still, I can't resist poking my nose at the auctions for high grade Trammells by any of the major grading services.

With regard to premiums, it's hard to say. My guts tell me that in order for there to be a consistent, distinguishable premium that there would need to be a consistent and distinguishable difference in the cards themselves as well as the holders. Given the slight gray area that exists within a given grade presently this strikes me as unlikely. However, the kind of subtle differences in prices that result from subtle differences in appearance between cards of a given grade also correlating somewhat with the evolution of the holder seems possible. To take an example that's familiar to me, I've begun to notice that better-centered PSA 9 Molitor/Trammell rookies seem to, on average, require slightly higher winning bids on eBay. So while I can envision a trend like that involving a correlation to holder age or holder design in addition to the one in actual card appearance, it's difficult for me to imagine a clear price difference developing based solely on the holder itself.

As to actual pursuit of the card, bidding is well on its way out of my price range. Regardless of that, my conservative nature would inhibit me from attempting to cross something with that dollar amount involved, even if the sheet issue were not at play.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Interesting observation jrdolan..very interesting.

peterredshoes -- The surface of the card is the same surface that it left the factory with. The edges, corners and centering can all be tuned-up at a later date.

There has been a good bit of speculation (evidence?) that sheet cut and/or trimmed cards end up in BVG/BGS holders. Many/most of these cards have very strong centering/edges/corners subgrades but with a significantly lower surface subgrade.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭

This is one of the best centered Tram/Molitor rookies that I have seen; which lends credence to the sheet cut theory. Personally, I also wouldn't take the risk attempting to cross it over. With my luck, the screwdriver would slip and I'd cut the card in half, or when I submitted it it would come back as trimmed. I would like to see a bigger scan of it. Nice find Peter!

I'd be interested in what the 78 collectors think of this card.

Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, that is a beautiful Molitor, but is it just me who sees a tilt on the right side? See the difference between the red border and the edge of the card at top right and bottom right? I know scans can play tricks with your eyes...

Also, what do you guys look for to spot sheet cut cards. AND, aren't they all sheet cut image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    That is a sweet Brett, only missing a 9.5 by .5 grade on surface. I bet that could be crossed over to a PSA 10 if cracked out and submitted raw.
  • Options
    The guy who slices up his uncut sheets should definitely get a raise.

N162
  • Options
    I also wondered if there was a slight tilt visible on the right side. If there is, it's not much at all.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    "ahh honey, i'm gonna head down to the basement and slice up some sheets tonight"
    Bob
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I'm also curious to hear why the surface would be lower for sheet cut cards...
  • Options
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Has there been an issue with 78's being slabbed that are sheet cut? If that was the case, wouldn't there be more 10's or at least more 9's that look as nice as this one? There are a lot of 9's of this card, and very few rise to the level of this card.
    Jim
  • Options
    The user id is one of the sheet cut crew from Canada/Washington/Oregan connection. I don't know enough about 1978 topps baseball to comment on that particular card
  • Options
    Is he in the same group with generalet?
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm also curious to hear why the surface would be lower for sheet cut cards... >>

Simple. Until you cut up the sheet, there are no edges or corners to get worn, so the surface is the only part that can be damaged. Sheet surfaces are tough to keep mint due to their sheer size -- you can't just stick them in penny sleeves and toploaders, so when you cut them up the centering, corners and edges are perfect, but the surface has 27 years of wear on it.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    you can't just stick them in penny sleeves and toploaders, so when you cut them up the centering, corners and edges are perfect, but the surface has 27 years of wear on it.

Exactly! image
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    The Molitor looks nice, but there are many with more striking colors. Of course it could be the scan.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Having some time on my hands, and relishing an opportunity to stare at pretty copies of the Molitor/Trammell rookie, I set out to try and determine whether it was a trick of the eye or whether the total size of the top/bottom border on the BVG 9.5 was slightly larger than that of some recently auctioned PSA 9s. I did this by cropping pictures of the cards and then making some measurements (in pixels) to determine border size and percent of height. My measurements all had a one-pixel uncertainty inasmuch as when you zoom in on individual pixels even razor-sharp card edges and borders look a little blurry. Still, there was enough to work with to come to an unsurprising conclusion: that my eyes were indeed fooling me and that there's nothing in the picture to suggest anything unusual about the BVG card's border.

What I really learned, though, is this: the actual amount of information about a card's border as communicated in typical sized scans is quite limited, but the human eye is pretty good at sifting through that information. Consider these three PSA 9s along with our BVG 9.5 card:

PSA 9 Image #1
    PSA 9 Image #2
    PSA 9 Image #3

As you'll see if you look, one of these is pretty badly centered top/bottom, one has a mild smudge in the "oo" area, but other than that they all have pretty similar features. But even on the worst-centered copy, the difference in border width between top and bottom is a whopping four pixels (four to eight). So while it's obvious that the card's off-center, if somebody asked you whether it was 70/30, 65/35, or even 60/40, you really wouldn't have enough data to determine reliably which of the three it was.

Another bit of entertainment turned out to be looking at the cards in their cropped, holderless state, which I needed to determine the relative size of each image. I couldn't help but think that, brightness levels aside, the cards look a lot more similar when they've got no numbers dangling off of them.

Anyway, hope this is entertaining info. If nothing else it's probably a solid exercise in demonstrating the limitations of scans even beyond the obvious issues in evaluating color.

Peter G.

• Options
    It closed at 665 bucks! Double the price of a good PSA9, but less than a third that a PSA 10 would cost.