Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS to team up with Overstock dot com auctions

Comments

  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382 ✭
    Hmm,... so far the only stuff I've seen on overstock was junk... maybe things are changing.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295 ✭
    I hope so. We really need a viable alternative to eBay.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭
    Anything that helps shake up the apple cart concerning eBay's near-monopoly on online auctions is a good thing.
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979 ✭
    It doesn't look like it's any kind of certification partnership. It appears to be something to link PCGS coins for sale to the appropriate set registry to entice more people to participate.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CLCT at $16.34 per share. Anyone want to make 25% return on investment in the next 2 weeks?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologize, but I'm feeling especially dense today.

    What will this relationship do? Will there be links from our Registry Sets into an auction site if we want to sell?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure if I want to have any of my slabbed pop one coins advertised on overstock.com.

    I will do it only if all the owners of pop one (with either nothing worse or nothing better) go in with me!

    image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought a few things from overstock.com in the past. I have no complaints...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭


    << <i>What will this relationship do? Will there be links from our Registry Sets into an auction site if we want to sell? >>



    It's simply the Set Registry Kiosk™ program offered to all PCGS authorized dealers. They are allowed to set up the Set Registry on their own site for their customers to use. Heritage announced it last week, and PCGS announced it this week.

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the matter with me?

    I'm seeing Ginsu knives in slabs so customers don't get ripped off.

    An T-shirts.... digital cameras.... binoculars.

    It'll be a crack-out world.

  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I am not sure if I want to have any of my slabbed pop one coins advertised on overstock.com.

    Yeah really, doesnt that defeat the point of it being OVERSTOCKED.COM?!? Pop one sure doesn't seem overstocked to me!

    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm.....

    I wonder if Overstock.com can help me rid of my many boxes of
    PCGS modern coins that aren't worth the submission fees.

    I'm OVERSTOCKED on these.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

    > CLCT at $16.34 per share. Anyone want to make 25% return on investment in the next 2 weeks?

    Weiss, interesting comment. Why do you say this? I've looked at CLCT more than once but it's thinly traded and I hesitate to get in.
    Of possible interest:

    Collectors Universe Inc (CLCT) 5 day chart
    Collectors Universe Launches Set Registry Kiosk(SM) Program With Superior Galleries

    KJ

  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Well, having perused about the first 40 pages of listings on overstock.com I can say that it is at the very least...interesting. Saw a number of early eagles slabbed and other very nice stuff from superior galleries that surely aren't overstocked. In comparison, the long beach heritage auction early eagles are ALL either bent, harshly cleaned, damaged, etc., not one honest early eagle coin in the whole auction. A lot of junk on overstocked but a fair amount of good stuff too. If you're into expensive nickels then this is a good place to hunt. There is a good offering of all coinage here.

    The prices for the good stuff don't seem that much of a bargan but the good stuff never is. It is much more pleasant to peruse with out all the little "power seller" and stars, and hype things in the ads, just straight forward and easy to navigate. I like the way it is organized a lot. The photos are all the right size and everything is well laid out.

    Certainly a considerable improvement over e-bay and many pages of coins. I'm not giving testimonials for the site but I dislike ebay so much that it is refreshing to find something nice.
  • Options
    RedneckHBRedneckHB Posts: 20,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CLCT at $16.34 per share. Anyone want to make 25% return on investment in the next 2 weeks?

    Lets see. Stock broke price support at 17. Broke 200 dma at 17. Has rallied back up to those levels. I think you can make 25%.....by shorting it. image

    image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>> CLCT at $16.34 per share. Anyone want to make 25% return on investment in the next 2 weeks?

    Weiss, interesting comment. Why do you say this? I've looked at CLCT more than once but it's thinly traded and I hesitate to get in.
    Of possible interest:

    Collectors Universe Inc (CLCT) 5 day chart
    Collectors Universe Launches Set Registry Kiosk(SM) Program With Superior Galleries

    KJ >>



    Just a hunch. A 25% increase over the price of $16.34 is $20.42. CLCT's 52-week high was very recent: 22.30 in early March. Branching out for support through venues other than eBay can only be a positive move. I also believe that CLCT is a prime acquisition for cash-bloated eBay, and the recent "victory" of the various industry entities (and K6AZ) over ACG might have loosend some balast.

    Looky there, CLCT is up another $.12 today. That's not quite 2% since my comments. Not a bad rate for 24 hours image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭
    > Looky there, CLCT is up another $.12 today. That's not quite 2% since my comments. Not a bad rate for 24 hour

    Up .12¢ on a volume of 3,465 shares. Not much liquidity there!

    Thanks to you and cohodk for your thoughts image

    KJ

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file