Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Adaptors for old rattler

I have a few PCGS coins in old "rattler" holders. The trouble is I like to keep my registry collection in order in PCGS or NGC boxes and the darn things just don't fit. Has anyone heard of an adaptor which can hold an old rattler and make it fit into the space of a PCGS holder? Call me anal, but it's driving me nuts.
Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
Current focus 1855 date type set

Comments

• Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Ummm, I carefully slip them into the 2.5X2.5 SAFLIP flips, tape the overhang, and they fit nicely into the blue boxes....
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Cool - Not as elegant of a solution as I hoped but I'll try anything that works.

Has anyone tried the adaptors in the Eagle binders? Not sure if they even have them for rattlers.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    I've used the Eagle binder adaptors for 2x2 and ANACS holders. They
    work fine for the Eagle binders; nice and snug. You could always make
    your own custom ones I guess.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    You could get them reholdered.
  • Options
    I would get them re- holdered. They would fit into your collection without making a lot of changes. Also, they are much easier to sell ( if and when that happens )
    The cost to re-holder is only $ 5.00 per coin.
  • Options
    brumabruma Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I wouldn't be quick to get them reholdered. First generation holders often bring higher bids (whether it's justified or not).

I have often thought that an elegant answer would be for PCGS (or someone) to manufacture the two-piece collars like PCGS used to bring the second generation holders (small slab, non-rattler) to full size. I know I would buy several for a buck or two apiece..........Bruce
    Trying to collect anything else would only make me more painfully aware that I do not have enough money for the Morgans I think I need
    My Morgan 58's
  • Options
    numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
    I just trimmed a couple of pieces of styrofoam the length of the slab and inserted them with the slab into the PCGS box. I only have a couple of the old rattlers so this works just fine for me.