Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In the spirit of Topps Heritage, Topps Turkey Red debuts in August

Here's the Beckett link:

blue text goes here

Comments

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Watcha think? $542 for a case with what you get seems like a decent deal. A lot better than sending off $130 or so for 2 Heritage boxes to that jerk in Texas who didn't send me anything and now is nowhere to be found. But, that's a completely different conversation.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I like the 5 different 1/1 autos of Barry Bonds.........image
    Good for you.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Barry who?

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Great more reprints/replicas to go on the market to be aged and passed off as real! I don't mind them re-using the design; just use modern players please.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    The set will be comprised of all modern players, but in the vintage design, just like Heritage. Just think of the Turkey red name and look as a template for a modern set.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Watcha think? $542 for a case with what you get seems like a decent deal. A lot better than sending off $130 or so for 2 Heritage boxes to that jerk in Texas who didn't send me anything and now is nowhere to be found. But, that's a completely different conversation. >>

That price may be a little high. His other stuff is a bit pricey.

I have a source but no presell info yet on this product. I'll keep checking and let everyone know when I get a price.

Keith
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the prewar set I'm working on which should take me about 20 yrs to complete - a modern version like the CJ's would be cool - as you know, there is an HOF set using the design.

I like the idea, but to be honest, with Heritage, CJ and others like Fan Favorites, Archives e.g., I think Topps is reaching both over-kill and diminishing returns IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Here is what I like:
    Turkey Red Design, chance for original TR's and B18's, autos

Here is what I dislike:
    5...count them!....FIVE parellel sets!

That alone will pretty much keep me away from the product.

Heritage is the only modern set I collect but this could have been a second set that I would have considered.

I have enjoyed putting together a master set of the Heritage but I am turned off how these will be produced. It will be tough because I really like the design....but parrallels and so forth will keep my head turned. Why? Well, I know I dont have to put together all the parrallels but if I open anything, I will be stuck with a bunch of cards I dont want and probably wont be able to trade.
  • Options
    Very nice, Mike. I think that's one you posted before you got it graded, isn't it? That set is fantastic. How far along are you, anyway? Any chance you'll put it on the registry?
  • Options
    Turkey Reds are among the nicest looking sets out there.

Awesome card Mike!

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice, Mike. I think that's one you posted before you got it graded, isn't it? That set is fantastic. How far along are you, anyway? Any chance you'll put it on the registry? >>

Holy crap Mac!
    You have a great memory! I got back a submission of 6 cards last month and one came back trimmed - very disappointing.

Not sure about the registry - I'm at 20% - with two HOF'ers - those are the killers. I'm still in the process of making submissions to PSA - it's kind of expensive at 35$ per.

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Here's one I have not submitted yet:

And I'm thinking I posted Jennings before - I thought I got a "generous" 4 on that one!

Hope I'm not totally hijacking here...I really like this set!

mike

edit: to add to the intrigue - notice this photo and the Jennings pose? If you take a look at the T206, you will find the same pic!

Like I said, the T3 Jennings shot got around!
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike: Pretty neat, actually, and interesting history. I guess, back when photos were still kinda hard to come by, one would get circulated quite a bit. Ya got some gems, there, my friend. I do like those T-3s.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike: Pretty neat, actually, and interesting history. I guess, back when photos were still kinda hard to come by, one would get circulated quite a bit. Ya got some gems, there, my friend. I do like those T-3s. >>

Mac
    Thanx but the other Jennings are not mine...stol...errrr borrowed scans.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i'll probably buy a couple boxes just for the helluvit..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Those vintage ones are beautiful. But how in the heck did you manage a 4 on the one with corners that seem to be a 2 at best?!

Awesome cards though stone!!

GG

I agree, total overkill on Topps part, but then again what are they supposed to do? they have to sell XXX,XXX,XXX packs to keep the margins up. So they hype it and sell them, but people are going to be burning out in the face of terrible value even after a year or two. I say they should go for vintage PSA packs. They can include their regular cards (straight to the can) for filler. They can price the packs by decade... 50's, 60's, 70's. Of course they will have to include PSA 9 cards in the 70's, and maybe 8's in the 60's, and 7s in the 50's. They could even have mack daddy packs for the 30's, or even the T206 PSA packs. Now that is something I would buy. A guaranteed T206 PSA card in every pack. This would eat up the existing supply, thus increasing the value of vintage across the board... Then again they would prob charge $100/pack... agh, screw it there isn't enough T206s out there... they are doomed.

• Options

<< <i>i'll probably buy a couple boxes just for the helluvit.. >>

Me too Perry. I can't resist myself!

Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>i'll probably buy a couple boxes just for the helluvit.. >>

Me too Perry. I can't resist myself!

image >>

and you and Jay are the reasons i'll buy it.. i dont have any of the real cards, but i think i can manage a couple boxes of these in my budget!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    This product looks promising.....wonder who the first sucker will be to spend $35 to grade one of the insert cabinets
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    dont forget T3 boxing cousin, the T9's

gotta love the frames, beautiful cards and i dont even like boxing

(borrowed from Jay's website )

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    I also collect boxers - the T9s are hard to find in good condition and they are found recolored a lot. I also recently bought one that I returned since it was undersized - I don't think it was trimmed since it was
    a 1/16" taller - and that's a lot.

I have not submitted boxers to PSA.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    More from Topps on 05 Turkey Red - I am seeing $600 a case at the moment. 8/29 release.

Collect an icon! In 1911, a legendary style of cards was born. Now, Topps is reviving this major era of cards-called cabinet cards-and offering the fans of today an experience unlike any available for nearly a century. 2005 Topps Turkey Red Baseball is a memorable mix of new and repurchased cards-a true collectible for all ages! 2005 Topps Turkey Red Baseball delivers classic cards at a classic value!!!~;~

Configuration: 8 boxes per case/24packs per box/8 cards per pack*
    *Each pack contains 7 Topps Turkey Red Baseball cards and 1 Parallel card
    SRP: $4.00

EVERY BOX CONTAINS 1 HOBBY EXCLUSIVE BOX LOADER! THESE CLASSIC BOX LOADERS INCLUDE:

TURKEY RED CABINET AUTOGRAPHED RELIC CARDS - 1 PER CASE ON AVG! 5.75" X 8"CABINET-SIZED!

TURKEYRED CABINET CARDS - 10 CABINET-SIZED CARDS FEATURING MLB PROS AND U.S. PRESIDENTS!

TURKEY RED REPURCHASED CABINET CARDS - FROM 1911!

B-18 BLANKETS - NEWLY CREATED REPLICAS!

REPURCHASED B-18 BLANKETS - FROM THE EARLY 1900'S!

ALSO INCLUDED:
    TWO RELICS AND/OR AUTOGRAPHS IN EVERY BOX!
    FIVE PARALLEL SETS TO COLLECT!

BASE CARDS (315 subjects)- 7 PER PACK!
    Veterans and Prospects (255)
    First-Year Players (30)
    Retired Players (15)
    Action Cards (10)
    Turkey Red Reprints (5)

HOBBY EXCLUSIVE BOX LOADER (39 subjects) - 1 PER BOX!
    Turkey RedCabinet Autographed Relics (12) - average of ONE PER CASE!
    Turkey Red Cabinet Cards (16)
    Turkey Red Repurchased Cabinet Cards (TBD)
    B-18 Blankets (11)
    Repurchased B-18Blankets (TBD)

AUTOGRAPHED CARDS (23 subjects) - TWO AUTOS AND/OR RELICS PER BOX!
    Topps Exclusive Barry Bonds 1 of 1 Autos (5 variations) all #'d 1 of 1
    Turkey Autographs (22)
    Turkey Suede Autograph Variations (22) all #'d 1 of 1
    Turkey Gold, Black, White, andRed Autograph Variations (22) all sequentially #'d

RELIC CARDS (31 subjects) - TWO AUTOSAND/OR RELICS PER BOX!
    Turkey Relics (31)
    Turkey Suede Relic Variations (31) all #'d1 of 1
    Turkey Gold, Black, White, and Red Relic Variations (31) all sequentially #'d

PARALLEL CARDS (1575 variations) - MORE THAN 25PER BOX!
    Turkey Suede (315)
    Turkey Gold (315)
    Turkey Black (315)
    TurkeyWhite (315)
    Turkey Red (315)
  • Options

<< <i>More from Topps on 05 Turkey Red - I am seeing $600 a case at the moment. 8/29 release. >>

Keith
    How many boxes in a case? 8? If you get a nice box topper then the price isn't too bad.

I won't be able to resist not buying a couple of boxes but a case? Will have to see how others feel.

Does anyone else want to do a set so we can have some trade action?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

Yes, 8 boxes to a case.

I'm sure that we have other people here who could get a better price. The $600 is from where I am buying my cases at the moment. Maybe if I decide to buy a few cases, and the group here goes for a couple more we can get a good price. There's plenty of time to put it together.

It too early for me to make a decision. I'm working on Topps Chrome now, Bowman Chrome hits in early August, and I need to find something for June/July. The timing may be just right.

75 a box is pretty pricey for presells. I would rather see closer to 60.

Keith
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Stone-
    That was Hughie Jenning's signature pose- he'd stand in the 3rd base coaches box, strike that one and yell "EE- YAH!"
    Weird, but it can't be nearly as bad as having to watch Glenn Hoffman thrash around in the Dodgers coaching box.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I bought some of the '04 Cracker Jack so I'll have to get a few boxes of this as well. Count me in on the setbuilding. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Does anyone else want to do a set so we can have some trade action?

mike >>

This looks another win for topps...I'll check into what I can pick boxes up for, and will definitely be assembling a set.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm in.

I told myself I wasn't going to do 2005 Cracker Jack, bought a few boxes and got hooked. No reason to think TTR is going to be any different.

Geordie
  • Options

<< <i>Stone-
    That was Hughie Jenning's signature pose- he'd stand in the 3rd base coaches box, strike that one and yell "EE- YAH!"
    Weird, but it can't be nearly as bad as having to watch Glenn Hoffman thrash around in the Dodgers coaching box. >>

Mike
  • Options
    Ax, TNP, FS, SoFL

No set by Topps has the challenge of Heritage - I will only do a base set + SP's - no parallels. So if you guys wind up going in and trades can be made - then I'm in!

As you guys know, I have a soft spot for the T3s.

Thanx for the input
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Hi all !

Any room for a BB collecting newbie to join in the Turkey Red fun? I really missed out on the Heritage free-for-all earlier this year
    and I got a chance at a recent show to check out these great looking cards.

Thanks to all who posted the scans of the Turkey Reds but seeing them in person really sold me on their excellent vintage appeal.
    Count me in for a few boxes.
    Bob

COLLECTING (other than belly button lint):

-Evgeni Malkin (when Pittsburgh pays the bribe money, er, ruble)
    -Heath Miller (the new TE bullseye for Big Ben)
    -Sport Kings in off-grade PSA (for you vintage freaks)
  • Options
    I'd be interested in a least a few boxes, and maybe more if can understand exactly what they are promising--can someone help me?

It says:

EVERY BOX CONTAINS 1 HOBBY EXCLUSIVE BOX LOADER!

then says

TWO RELICS AND/OR AUTOGRAPHS IN EVERY BOX!

So, are they saying that every box has one "loader", which could include everything following, plus two relics and/or autos? That's what it seems to say. Then when it talks about a "relic" does it mean either a T-3 (or another of the "Relic Cards" described) or a blanket, or is there some other "relic?"

And, how does "HOBBY EXCLUSIVE BOX LOADER (39 subjects) - 1 PER BOX!" fit into all this?

Am I asking too many questions?
  • Options
    No-not too many questions.

The description for the Turkey Red is a little vague at the moment, but I can give a little info based in '05 Topps Chrome 2.

The box loader in each box will yield certain items that are not available in the packs. In Chrome they were Arod Throwback refractors (regular, black, red, and gold.) Red and gold refractors of other players are also in the boxloader.

The boxes contain other parallels like the above named refractors, and also autos (both chrome and refractors).

It's ironic that in Chrome the boxloaders do not yield the most desirable item which are autos of a few hot first year players.

So, you get one boxloader per box, which is basically an extra pack with one card. Then the packs will also yield other SPs and inserts.
    I would guess that the two autos or relics are in the packs, not the boxloader.

As soon as I can get a sell sheet I'll post it.

Keith

• Options
    A few more details on Turkey Red -

TOPPS PAYS HOMAGE TO LEGENDARY TURKEY RED SET

Topps is pleased to announce that this summer it is paying homage to the
    legendary 1911 Turkey Red Baseball set with its own rendition featuring
    today’s stars --2005 TOPPS TURKEY RED BASEBALL.

The original 1911 Turkey Red tobacco card set, considered by many hobbyists
    to be the most gorgeous baseball card set ever produced, consisted of
    oversized “Cabinet” cards measuring 5 ¾” x 8” and featured some of the most
    stunning artwork ever captured on a baseball card.

Topps has recaptured these classic visuals and has given them a modern day
    twist which links today’s superstars with yesterday’s legends. Collectors
    can now see Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez on the picturesque baseball
    landscapes that Napoleon Lajoie, Honus Wagner and Tris Speaker once
    graced.

Collectors will also be pleased to know that each 24-pack box guarantees 2
    Relics and/or Autographs, 25 Parallel cards and an Original-Sized Box
    Loader.

Here’s the breakdown:

BASE CARDS (315) (2 ½ x 3 ½)
    255 Veterans & Prospects
    30 Rookies
    15 Retired Stars
    10 Action Cards
    5 Reprints

PARALLELS
    315 Turkey Black
    315 Turkey White
    315 Turkey Red
    315 Turkey Gold (#’d to 50)
    315 Turkey Suede (1 of 1)

AUTOGRAPHS
    5 Exclusive Barry Bonds Autographs (Five different 1 of 1’s)
    22 Turkey Autographs (includes Topps exclusive A-Rod)
    22 Turkey Black, White, Red & Gold Autographs (sequentially numbered)
    22 Turkey Suede Autographs (1 of 1)

RELICS
    31 Turkey Relics (Pujols, Clemens, A-Rod and more)
    31 Turkey Black, White, Red & Gold Relics (sequentially numbered)
    31 Turkey Suede Relics (1 of 1)

BOX LOADERS / Cards featured in original Turkey red size (5 ¾ x 8)
    12 Autographed Relics (Bonds and A-Rod / guarantee 1 per case)
    16 Turkey Red Cabinets (includes 3 U.S. Presidents)
    Original Turkey Red Buybacks
    11 B-18 Blankets ( Jeter, Bonds and Ichiro)
    Original B-18 Blanket Buybacks

2005 Topps Turkey Red Baseball Releases the week of August 29th and carries
    a $4.00 SRP for each 8-card pack (7 base cards & 1 parallel).
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Watch Topps change it after everyone has their pre-orders in already. I wait and see what they decide to exclude, and then what wil be the replacements,,,,,,,thank you very much. After all the commotion about the box loaders this year, how can you pre-order ANYTHING from topps?
  • Options

If it helps, they did come through with boxloaders in Chrome 2 which came out 4(?) weeks ago. I think Finest also has them.

Topps seems to be hitting their stride when it comes to recent releases. They have a formula for parallels, refractors, relics, etc., that is running through all of the current product.

Honestly I see them as the best value at the moment, especially if you count Bowman with regular Topps. Not the highest sellers (although I sold a Chrome Xfractor Auto last night for 195 beans), but the product is consistent and pretty loaded with SPs and such.

Keith
  • Options
    I guess I hope I pull something with some suede on it. imageimage
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options

I need to devote some time to completing my Heritage set before August!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably do a set of thoseimage

Turkey Reds have always been my favorite set. I'm currently working on the original Hall of Famers...so far, I've picked up 14 of them, including Cobb and Johnson.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>I'll probably do a set of thoseimage

Turkey Reds have always been my favorite set. I'm currently working on the original Hall of Famers...so far, I've picked up 14 of them, including Cobb and Johnson.

Steve >>

Don't keep them to yourself...scans please!

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll probably do a set of thoseimage

Steve >>

Don't keep them to yourself...scans please!

thanx
    mike >>

I'll try to post 'em tomorrow evening when I have some more timeimage

Steve
  • Options
    image Pre-sales at Beckett.com are $109.95. That may be a little too much for my budget. If they ever come down to $75 - $85 per box, I may give it a try. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    Do I have this straight?

There are going to be card printed in the Turkey Red Style, but they are not going to be large sized, but regular (smaller than the original) sized?
  • Options

<< <i>image Pre-sales at Beckett.com are $109.95. That may be a little too much for my budget. If they ever come down to $75 - $85 per box, I may give it a try. image

Scott >>

I'm still hearing $600 a case (8 hobby) for presells. I would be glad to help everyone and place an order as we get closer.
    Let me know. I hope to get two cases myself, maybe more. Maybe I can get the price below $75 a box.

Anything to avoid 109 a box, that's robbery.

I'm up against Bowman Chrome two weeks before, so that may determine how much T. Red I buy.

Either way I'll be able to get them to you guys for cost, plus shipping. We should probably reserve the product in early August, which would mean a $200 per case deposit.

Keith
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Keith - I'm almost certainly in for a case. Put me on whatever list you're compiling and LMK when you need the deposit. Of course this is contingent upon the final cost - if you can get them at $75 per, that would be great.

Geordie
  • Options
    Nice card in Mastro auction -

• Options
    <<Do I have this straight?

There are going to be card printed in the Turkey Red Style, but they are not going to be large sized, but regular (smaller than the original) sized?>>

That is my understanding. There is the box loader (one per box) that is the larger format (5 ¾" x 8"). I wonder how many original T3's are going to be distributed in the box loaders. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFan, I may also be interested in a box or two depending on how finances are sitting at time of order. Keep us updated.

Thanks,
    Josh
    I love the smell of commerce in the morning!
    - Jason Lee, "Mallrats"
  • Options
    Update on the Turkey Red buy -

I have been quoted a price that comes to $72.50/box, $580/case.

At the moment let's set a date of 8/1 to collect the funds. If you are buying less than a case I'll ask for the whole amount, if you're getting a case then I'll need to get $200 per case. The balance is due a week before release, which is 8/29.

We'll talk about shipping later.

Keith

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    GCXOnline.com has the sell sheets and checklist on this set up now. 2 GU or autos per box, 1-2 parallels per pack, seems like a Topps 205/206 format versus Heritage. Looks sweet, I may get a case, or at least a couple boxes and go strong after the rest. I need the Turkey Suede Thomas and Sizemore. And Billy Butler.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay