Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

5 day Special - Grades Received

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Well, I just got home and looked at my sheet to see how I did. I had "graded" these and written down what I expected. Here's how I did.

The first number is the grade I received, the 2nd number is the grade I expected and lastly, the change up/down from my expected.

1 1981 TOPPS 216 JOE MONTANA N/A 8 -- 8 --0
    2 1969 TOPPS 500 MICKEY MANTLE LAST NAME IN YELLOW 8OC -- 6 -- about the same I guess
    3 1970 TOPPS 189 YANKEES ROOKIES T.MUNSON/D.McDONALD 7 -- 8 -- -1 (I thought it had a good shot at an 8 but it was slam dunk 7)
    4 1964 TOPPS 125 PETE ROSE ALL-STAR ROOKIE 6 -- 6 -- 0
    4 1964 TOPPS 125 PETE ROSE ALL-STAR ROOKIE Not Holdered, Miscut --6 -- This one confuses me, I have to look at it again.
    5 1967 TOPPS 150 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 6 -- 6 -- 0
    6 1968 TOPPS 280 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 8OC -- 6 -- about the same again...all things considered.
    7 1966 TOPPS 50 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 6 -- 6 -- 0
    8 1964 TOPPS 50 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 6 -- 7 -- -1 (this one is gorgeous, might take a look and consider a crack & resub)
    9 1959 TOPPS 10 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 4 -- 4 -- 0 (Just to have a fixed grade to determine a price, don't ask me why)
    10 1962 TOPPS 200 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 6 -- 5 -- +1 (that's always nice)
    11 1961 PARKHURST 20 GORDIE HOWE N/A 6 -- 7 -- -1 (had some yellowing of the borders so I wasn't sure, it's razor sharp though and well centered)
    12 1971 TOPPS 100 BOBBY ORR N/A 8 -- 8 -- 0
    13 1979 TOPPS 18 WAYNE GRETZKY N/A 6 -- 7 -- -1 (one of these was a 7)
    13 1979 TOPPS 18 WAYNE GRETZKY N/A 6 -- 6 -- 0
    13 1979 TOPPS 18 WAYNE GRETZKY N/A 6 -- 6 -- 0
    13 1979 TOPPS 18 WAYNE GRETZKY N/A 5 -- 5 -- 0
    14 1986 FLEER 57 MICHAEL JORDAN N/A 9 -- 9 -- 0 (This one alone will pay for all these cards I bought)
    15 1986 FLEER STICKER 8 MICHAEL JORDAN N/A 9 -- 9 -- 0
    15 1986 FLEER STICKER 8 MICHAEL JORDAN N/A 7 -- 8 -- -1 (not sure what I missed)

All in all, I did great, definitely coming out ahead on this lot!

Here are some pics of some of the cards I had slabbed. Nothing too close-up to warrant a "grade" but you can get an idea of what is coming back.

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Looks like the slight rough edge and the one billionth of an inch OC T/B on the Jordan kept it from a 10. Otherwise looks like a very solid to high end 9. Nice cards.

Lee
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    very nice cards!.. did you accumulate these over time or did you buy them raw all in one lot?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Got them all raw in a lot from one guy. I have a stack of other stuff too, but nothing else really worth grading...well, maybe another 20 cards or so.

I'll make my money back with the 2 jordan's... probably buy myself a NM or better Hornung, Sayers and Jim Brown rc's with the proceeds. image
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    you dont want to know what he paid for the lot either...lucky basterd
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I don't see the miscut on any of those Roses, unless the reverse has part of another card. Even so, I don't understand why PSA wouldn't grade it. Even if you requested no qualifiers, normally they would just grade it 4 instead of 6MC or whatever.
  • Options
    I don't see the miscut either, it baffles me. I didn't request no qualifiers as I personally feel an 8OC better describes the condition of the card and since I'm only going to get Ex-Mt 6 money either way I figure if I auction it off people will better understand that the corners, edges and surface are far better than a 6 (especially with the normally beaten 68's) I know a lot of people feel otherwise.

I believe the 2 64 Rose's are the middle and the far right ones that I sent in, the one on the left was too soft.

And yes Ryan, we both know what I paid for the lot.... sshhh... image
  • Options
    nice cards.
    Collecting Cracker Jack Cards and all graded PSA/DNA cards.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭
    On the miscut, did you size it up to other cards? I recently got back a "miscut" on a '68 Ryan and couldn't understand it. When I matched it up to another '68 Ryan I had my answer though.

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    No, I didn't. Might be that it's under/oversized I suppose. What's odd though is that they all looked good in the 1 screw cases the guy had them in. I'll measure it up when I get it back. I did measure the centering all the way around..as in top right, bottom right to make sure the card isn't diamond cut at all, I do that with all of them. Have to see when I get it back, same with the 64 Mantle and the Jordan sticker that got a 7. Those both are interesting to me.