Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How do You Safely Clean the PSA Holders?

I'm a newbie to these boards so if this question has been answered many times before, be patient with me.

Is there a foolproof method / product to safely clean the PSA holders, particularly that nasty glue residue left by non-pealable stickers?

In my opinion the condition and cleanliness of the holder contributes to the eye appeal of a PSA graded card. I'm a vintage Topps set collector, meaning I hang onto the cards! Scratches I can't do anything about, but I would very much like to remove the price stickers and glue residue off the cards in my set registry collections. Any wisdom on this topic would be appreciated.

I'd also like to voice a plea to all regular sellers of vintage PSA graded cards. Buy pealable stickers, put the card in a bag first, or best of all don't put any stickers on the holders!

Thanks.

PACOLE99
PACOLE99
Collecting 1951 - 1956 PSA Graded Topps Baseball

Comments

• coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    Goo Gone has worked well for me.
  • GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654

Googone is great for adhesive and to get them scratches out old fashion turtle wax.

Cheers
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree w/ Goo Gone. Works well, no after effects on the slab, removes any sticker or tape residue easily. I agree with you though - my biggest pet peeve when buying slabs on Ebay is the seller who puts a price sticker right on the slab. Don't do this, please! Use a card sleeve if you must sticker the holder seperately...
  • A bench grinder usually does the trick for me.

N162
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Here are the trained and certified slab cleaners at work:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Plastic cleaner will get the scratches out. It was talked about on the boards before. I think its the same stuff that they use on pinball machines. I can't remember the name right now but I bought it on ebay and it does work. Came in a three pack with towels.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I use Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover. Since I'm totally anal about my slabs, the $9.95 bottle's probably saved me $147,500 in reholdering costs.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Thanks everyone.

Goo gone has a number of votes, I'll look into that. Right now the glue residue is what's driving me nuts. However once all the glue is gone the scratches may be next.

I wish reholdering were less expensive than $5.00 a pop (plus shipping x 2 of course). I'm still trying to reconcile paying to have my 1952 Topps Black Backs reholdered for the Master Set (I missed the meager 3 month window when it was "only" $3.00). I'm finding myself wanting to add a small premium in eBay bidding to Black Backs which are correctly labeled, and that's just not right.

I think I'll avoid the bench grinder for the moment.
    PACOLE99
    Collecting 1951 - 1956 PSA Graded Topps Baseball
  • jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I think it was virtualized that posted a picture that had slabs floating in his pool. They're waterproof, so they can be cleaned with anything.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I just use plain old 91% isopropyl alcohol to wipe off that gooey gunk. It works great on most sticker residue. Doesn't help with scratch restoration, though.
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Yep - Novus is the stuff. Get yourself some, son!
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I get these little wetnap type things from my dad who works in construction.. They're for cleaning plastic protective eyewear so they work well.. no scratching.
  • gmoneystylesgmoneystyles Posts: 349 ✭✭
    Put 'em in the washing machine.

Check out Bruce Morelands site on this
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • @gmoneystyles said:
    Put 'em in the washing machine.

Check out Bruce Morelands site on this

lol

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used WD-40 for many years to clean holders. Spray a little on a paper towel, rub where needed, wipe with clean paper towel. I have found this to also restore scratches. DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY ON HOLDER
    Be careful with old holders, it will take the white right off.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭

Make sure its goo gone.
    There is a product called goo b gone I think.
    It looks similar but will melt the plastic.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

Goo Gone (the only product that I trust) is good for removing sticky residue and price stickers. I use Novus Fine Scratch Remover for any minor scratches on the holder.

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meguiar’s Plast-X works very well also….