Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's the grade of this '51B Mantle?

I've been given a graded 1951 Bowman Mantle to examine with the chance to purchase. What's your opinion on the grade?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know how common that print line is but that card looks like a 7 to me.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess a 6 - mostly because of the centering.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Looks like there is a lot of black spots or something on the left side of card. I would say 8 with PD.

Stingray
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    7 if the back is nice..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Stingray -- I can't find the black spots you refer to, even with a loupe.

pandrews -- The reverse has the usual small trace of wax, but otherwise fine.

There are no qualifiers.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If no creases or wrinkles - a low end 8. Those corners are very nice.
  • Options
    5 maybe 6
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I should change what I mean then, it looks like like there is a film of dirt or something on the card.
    Maybe it is just my bad eyes?

Stingray
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    that print line is kind of annoying, is it the scan or the card?

I would say a solid 6 ..or maybe a 8 PD because of the red print line
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I agree with calleocho, 8PD or 6. Everything about that card screams an 8, except that red print line. That card is absolutely beautiful but the more I look at it, the more that red line begins to annoy me. I'd still love to own it though.

Are you going to tell us what the grade is?
  • Options
    Yeah the print line is a little distracting, though it's more evident in the scan than to the naked eye. It will definitely affect how much I pay, if I buy it. But as I said, it's an unqualified card -- definitely not a qualified card that's reduced 2 grades to avoid a qualifier.

The print line aside, interesting that opinions range from 6 to 8 on the corners etc.!

Thanks for opining, everyone. I'll post the full scan when I get home tonight.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    definitely a nice looking PSA-6, as it looks much better than the grade, but centering is a major drawback and the foul pole that is in the card that others do not have could make it an error card . . . or is that a print line that runs vertically? Guaranteed 6!!!
  • Options
    I am sure it is graded a 7....corners are very strong. the centering falls within the psa 7 guidelines...l/r is dead on....
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I missed the "it's not qualified" post. If it's not qualified and the red line isn't as obvious as it is in the scan, then a 7 isn't out of the question.

I think the corners (from the scan at least) appear to be an 8 on the strong ones (BL, TR) and a 6 on the TL. BR appears to be 7 or 8 to me.
    Edges look great (I would assume 8+ from the scans)
    Centering is still in line with a 7-8 (I had it 63/47TB, 50/50LR.
    Assuming the original gloss is still decent and that print line isn't as obvious then a 7 is a definite possibility.

Now tell us what it graded darn it!
  • Options

My loupe tells me that two, possibly three corners are in 8 territory -- for 1951, which I don't think anyone would argue is graded with a different eye than 2001. Maybe the centering and print line are what knocked it down a notch, just based on overall eye appeal. But it's not a case of requesting no qualifers ... this is not a 9pd card.

New question: Assume you need a Mick rookie and you can afford to buy one in this grade. Take all into account (centering, print line, corners) ... At what level do you say "Nope. Too much." SMR is $7500, which a well-centered Mantle would have no trouble topping in an auction. This is not well-centered, but nor is it horribly centered -- within limits for PSA 7. Then there is the "foul pole." I'm trying to decide where to draw the line in negotiations.

No offense to anyone here, but scammers troll these boards and I am starting to block out the cert. # on cards that are high on their list for stolen scans.