Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

AJ Sportsworld - Harvey Goldfarb

Has anyone had any dealings with this person or company?
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
- Calvin
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
- Hobbes

Comments

• Options
    AJ's is a good dealer. They aren't very flexible on prices, but their service and selection is excellent.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AJ's is a good dealer. They aren't very flexible on prices, but their service and selection is excellent. >>

Ditto. He might work with you slightly more than say a Levi, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of a discount.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Harvey is top notch. I recently met him in person and he is one of the nicest guys in the hobby IMHO.

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'd pretty much agree with all that.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    A
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Very high prices - one of the highest in the industry for PSA hockey cards. Won't typically offer discounts. Seems to have the same stuff at all the shows cause I don't think he knows about a little thing called "inventory turns". But, much like Levi, he'll have the card when you want to spend the price to finish your set.
  • Options

<< <i>Very high prices - one of the highest in the industry for PSA hockey cards. >>

Jerster....I would say, as a general statement, that Gerry Chartrand- www.gerryssportscards.com - is much higher (and much more inflexible, pricewise) that the Goldfarbs.

-N162
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    True, Gerry's up there. But I've caught him at shows where he will deal a little whereas I had less luck with Harvey. I'd say I owe a much greater % of my cards in my sets to Gerry vs. Harvey.
  • Options
    I was comparing SMR with some of the AJ Sportsworld prices on pre-war hockey. They were double with no discussion on pricing. Is this market that hot?
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    You won't find a better company to do business with. They provide good service and have an excellent reputation.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I have dealt with both A.J. and Gerry's for years. They are both quality people to deal with,
    and while I have never gotten a 'deal' from either, I have never been disappointed with the
    quality of their service or cards.

Best,
    Ray

• Options

<< <i>I was comparing SMR with some of the AJ Sportsworld prices on pre-war hockey. They were double with no discussion on pricing. Is this market that hot? >>

No. Then again, the SMR isn't very accurate with any pre war stuff.
  • Options
    He does have very good stuff, but a lot of dealers won't deal with him and that is probably because he does not move on price. I think that Levi along with Harvey and Ric at Piedmont cards are more concerned with their collections than moving on price. If you want to be a smart businessman and attract customers it would be smarter to price your items 5% up and then come off of them versus standing there with your hands folded and not moving off of price.

Personally I have become very discouraged with this hobby in general, and what used to be a fun and interesting hobby has become like most businesses in that it is now a bunch of small groups of dealers that control most of the inventory and pricing. The other thing that is unique is that while Global has a lot of graded cards in the market now they are not bringing near the prices of PSA - especially the half grades; however, dealers are out there selling them as premium cards without the pricing pressure to justify the prices.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options
    MrUncMrUnc Posts: 14
    Hey guys,

I don't usually chime in, but I really have to give it up to Gerry and Jason Chartrand. They have helped me on several of the sets I'm working on the Registry and I've always been extremely happy with their service.

When it comes to price, I have never received a 'steal' from them, but have always received a fair shake. My rationale is that quality comes at a cost. For instance, they helped populate most of my 75-76 OPC WHA set in a matter of just a few months. Now, granted I did pay roughly 10-15% above ebay prices, it's worth it.

Gerry and Jason provide a great service for the collector who puts a premium on quality and an emphasis on time efficiency. They'll do the work on their time and expect to be compensated appropriately.
    For example, I've had these guys search through boxes of 74,75 and 76 OPC to find grade-worthy singles for my sets. I personally don't have the time to do that nor do I have as consistent a grading eye.

I've bought a couple of cards through AJ's through ebay and have also been very pleased with the quality. End point- you get what you pay for.

In business, the best work with the best and often compromise a little bit of profit for the sake of quality and dependability. In the quirky and limited world of high end hockey cards, the same holds true.

Regards,

Matt

Set Registry- Matthew Pime
    specialize in high end vintage hockey cards, several sets under the psa Registry "Matthew Pime"
    Hockey in the 1960's-1970's primarily.
  • Options
    If the SMR is that inaccurate on high end pre-war hockey, PSA should state so in their report. Apparently with high grade pre-war hockey the market is too thin on cards that are too rare. Or perhaps as I was told by more than one dealer in Canada that the bulk of high end pre-war hockey still reside in dark closets all over the 'Great White North'.
    - Calvin
    - Hobbes