Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card sleeves, storage boxes, comic book bags, preservation supplies--where do I get them?

I went on www.the2buds.com recently to order some storage and archival supplies. I wanted to buy about $47 worth of stuff. I later found out that the shipping was over $30. This is not worth it. I rather drive to a hobby store and pick the stuff up myself. Where in the Los Angeles or Orange County area do they have a store or a dealer that sells card and comic archival supplies? Will they take credit card?

This is what I wanted:

UltraPRO Platinum Premium card sleeves

UltraPRO silver age comic bags and boards

Comic storage boxes (short)

UltraPRO graded card sleeves

Large Magazine bags

Also, I wonder if the Collector Safe brand for resealable comic bags is archival safe--meaning if its made out of 100% virgin polypropylene. Does this also translate into being acid free and PVC free? The UltraPro brands state all this on their product packaging, but why not Collector Safe?

I have had comic bags for over ten years, hardly ever handled and stored in a cool dry place. Absolutely no sign of wear or environmental destruction to the bag or comic inside. What is this myth that comic bags have to be changed every 5 years? That is something the dealer or manufacturer might want you to believe. I don't know what brand of comic bags I bought over 10 years ago, but I assume they must be polypropylene--they held up perfectly. I am not going to change them. But I need new ones for my additional collectibles.

Anyway, I posted a lot of questions here and would appreciate your input. Thanks guys.
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    If you go to a decent size show there's usually at least one or two tables with a full line of supplies; with prices cheaper than stores and of course no shipping.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DG
    I have had good luck with the prices at Hot Flips.

And I compared them with BCW supplies.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I have purchased supplies from this ebay seller in the past and have felt that they have a nice selection of supplies, good pricing, and fair combined shipping costs.

Adam

shopnc
  • Options
    GatorGator Posts: 210
    I have found some decent prices for supplies on Naxcom.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I swear by BCW supplies. Only 2 drawbacks - you have to buy in bulk for the good prices and they don't carry Card Saver 1's.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    DEutschergeist- Stick with the Ultra-Pro product for your comics. I've used the re-sealable bags and the quality was very inconsistent. I know what you are talking about as far as the shipping costs on supplies. I usually buy my bags and boards by the 1000. Shipping would always eat away at the quantity discount. I now just buy them through my local comic shop. They charge me slightly above their cost and I don't have to worry about shipping.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice thus far. I have been looking into the places where you guys suggested.

Fabfrank,

So, you are saying that the UltraPRO comic products are better than the CollectorSafe or other resealable ones? I have used neither, so I really appreciated the input. I have heard a lot of good things about UltraPRO for baseball card sleeves, so I trust they must be good at comic supplies too.
    I am really using the comic bags for Star Wars and GI Joe Mint on Card figures (unopened packages)---I don't want to use star cases at this point since they are too bulky and expensive.

I only need about 100 bags and boards--not much. I was hoping there would be a store in the Los Angeles area that someone can recommend.

I also need 5 comic short boxes. Its OK if they are used as long as they are intact.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    The last time I went to the Frank & Sons show in Walnut there were several dealers with good selection of suplies, but it's been a while since I went to that show.
    John Vineyard