Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1993 Topps Finest Refractor Q

I recently opened a box of 1993 Topps Finest. I think I have a Clemens refractor. However, I am not certain on how to tell the difference between a refractor and non-refractor. Does anybody know how to tell the difference? Thanks.

David

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    It just looks "shinier" when you tilt it in the light. There's no other way to tell. Some people have trouble picking it up with their eyes, which is why Topps used the designation "R" on the back after 94. If you scan it I could probably tell. If it is a refractor, nice pull; you certainly could have done worse.

Lee
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Very nice pull indeed if it's a refractor. The All-Star cards in that set (the green ones) are a little tougher to tell which ones are refractors as opposed to the gray bordered ones. Is the Clemens centered? The Clemens is very tough to find centered nicely. Like Lee said, if you have a scan I'm sure someone can help you out.

Mark
  • Options
    If you tilt the card at different angles close to a (preferably artificial) light source, if it's a refractor you should see some sort of prismatic reflection off the card (linear areas of red, green, blue, etc.).
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    If you put the card in question in a stack with normal 93 Finest cards and then fan the cards out slightly (like playing cards), you'll see that a REF will exhibit a tremendous variation in color (like a rainbow) in the light. Others won't.