Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grading Peace dollars- help.

I have seen so many graded peace dollars that look like they have soft strikes. Is this a case with the whole series? I have several that I think look high for the grade, have excellent luster and very few marks. Here are a couple of '23 P's that I have.....are these slab candidates or just leave them in the 2x2?

*note....the dark area on the 2nd one is toning that has started.

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.

Comments

• BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    It's hard to tell from the compressed images what the surfaces
    look like but I don't think these will grade beyond MS63. An MS63
    1923 PCGS slabbed Peace $ is very common and sells for about $35
    on ebay. The grading fee is $18 plus shipping both ways. After
    doing the math, I think these will stay raw.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • I say the 1st is MS62, too many marks on the cheek and the second is MS63 and much cleaner.

Are the colors showing in your image from the coin or the mylar plastic? If from the coin, then I would get them slabbed.

TPN
  • They look like they have good luster. They are nice looking coins. Judging from the photos I'd agree they might grade around 63. Even MS 64s Sheet for $50 so it doesn't seem worth it to slab them.
  • eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Thanks for the replys all. I like the satin finish that these seem to have but haven't really seen many that are clean..most of them are quite "mushy"..I will stick to Morgans but I am on my way with a set of the peace just for the heck of it....
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    My brother inheirted 30 orginial rolls from his wife's dad that was a banker. I'd keep it raw, these will grade 62/63 all the 23p's we had had great luster but we never could get one to grade more than an MS64. I still think they are MS65 coins but the 23 P's are everywhere and aren't worth the grading fee IMO. We ended up selling them for 300 bucks a roll, I have one unsearched roll left.
  • These really look MS61 or 62 to me. Too many ticks. Yes Peace dollars have weak strikes often across years...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file