Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1972 Grocery Cello

Forgive my ignorance I know these packs were packaged in three sections and then broken up, maybe?. How many cards are in each one? There are a lot of them being sold lately. I don't know if a nice wax pack GAI 8 or better is a better deal? Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Anybody with any idea on these. I have seen many 71's as well.
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Dand - see my post on the 1968 Nolan Ryan thread.

These packs appeared in January or February. I contacted Mark Murphy (BBK) and GAI and asked if they were legit.

Murphy's response was: "Topps didn't make any smaller ones (12 card cello packs) for this era."

Keith Smith from GAI responded: "There was a recent find of these in the last month and they are real."

Ultimately, I decided to go with Murphy and pass on these. If you check the 1968 Nolan Ryan thread, you'll see that the two dealers who are selling these packs also sold fake '84 Clemens Pawtucket cards.

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Thank you maybe a nice wax pack graded would be nicer. I don't think those grocery cellos genuine or not look that nice. Even with a star on top it looks like something is missing. That 72 5th serries "price tag" cello just sold to me has incredibly more eye appeal, even with a scrub on top. It has the dream scenario of seeing it in the drug store in the groovey 70's
  • I know this thread is old but how many cards were in a rack pack in 1971 and 1972 baseball?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this thread is old but how many cards were in a rack pack in 1971 and 1972 baseball?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.