Home Q & A Forum
Options

Pedigree now required to be removed?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
David,

I read the policy for having a pedigree is changed. If a customer upgrades a coin, the customer needs to return the coin with a lesser grade to have the pedigree removed. This really confuses me. With the new policy I would not be able to trade a current coin for a better coin, because if I did, the new coin would not qualify for a pedigree?

In other words, if I trade my 1916-D AU50 Mercury Dime for one of a better grade, I would not be able to get the higher graded coin pedigreed, because I didn't have the pedigree removed from the original coin (There is no way I could afford more than one of these keys). I have already sold a few coins in my set, and now with the PCGS rule change, I will not be able to have a complete pedigreed set. What a disapointment.

I would like to voice my opinion that I disagree with PCGS on this one, and I think there are more than a few others in which would agree with me.

Thanks for being here on yet another Tuesday!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Hi Tony,

What we are trying to avoid is a famous collector selling his lessor grade duplicates as if they are part of his famous set. We basically just want one coin for each issue, because that is what the collection really is.

As far as your coins go, just send them to me with an explanation and we'll take care of you.

Not trying to bust anybody's chops, just trying to maintain the integrity and meaning of the Set Registry pedigree.

Thanks,

David