Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which microscope is "best" for coin collecting ???

I mean........ Which one gives you the most "bang" for the "Buck" (No coincop hunting references please! image)
Cam-Slam 2-6-04
3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
4 "YOU SUCKS"
Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
Seated Halves are my specialty !
Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
(1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image

Comments

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557

I use the Intel QX3+... I likes it image You have to modify it to use the 200x on slabbed coins, and it can often be difficult to get the coin positioned right and then focused in the 200x range... but, the added bonus of being able to take pictures right from the microscope is nice image
    -George
    42/92
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I'm with George.....cheap and easy, the QX3+ for around $30.

Becky
  • btmoore9btmoore9 Posts: 352
    DITTO!! I bought one after seeing someone post close ups on here...I think it might have been Becky image and I LOVE IT!!!! Could be here all day sometimes image Bought mine on Ebay
    Live like you were dying.
    -------------------------------
    Bridget
    ----------
    (My beautiful children!!)
  • VetVet Posts: 1,513
    I bought a Qx3 on e-bay for $35. Afer a few pm's with Becky it worked fine when I was using windows 98, Got a new computer with XP Now I have to get upgrade software for it to work. I think they have QX5 that will work with any operating system.
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like the QX-3

I don't use it often, but for stuff that needs a real close-up it's the best thing.
  • I own a QX3, and have another vote for it being the "best" (although I've not compared it personally to anything else, it does a good job IMHO).

The QX5 is relatively new, and basically an upgraded QX3, slightly different magnification levels, and somewhat larger resolution (ie, bigger pictures), but at $90 and 3x the cost it wasn't worth it to me.
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two setups. A QX3, which you can't beat for getting images into the computer quickly (unless using a QX5), and a Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 4 purchased on eBay that I use for inspection purposes and better pictures. No need for an adapter for my camera, I just hold it up to the eyepiece.
  • wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    I got my QX5 at TOYSRUS for around $65. Well worth it to me. image
    Wayne
  • NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭

I love my QX5. I got it for $75.00 and it's worth every "penney"!
  • jacktheknifejacktheknife Posts: 1,547

I use a Nikon SMZ-2T.

Jack
  • dwsswsdwssws Posts: 2,166
    I love my QX5 and paid less than 80. for it
    steve

myCCset
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you live near a medical school, try the local pawn shops. Ask if they have a "disecting microscope" which is a low power (7X-30X) sterioscopic microscope. Perfect for coin examination.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I use a 14X Bushnell magnifing glass. I don't take enlargements of portions of coins so don't need anything better than that. If I find a QX3 or 5 at a flea market, I'd probably buy it, try it once and go back to just a magnifing glass. I'm just to old to try new stuff I guess.
    Carl
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    what do you 'want' to do with the microscope??

pictures? scan many coins quickly?

what magnification are you looking for?

many options - best for your buck would depend on your use

the ones already listed all have advantages and disadvantages
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really surprised at the options suggested here, or should I say the lack of options. I have no doubt that the "QX3" is a good low priced microscope, but for that amount of money you certainly cannot get good quality optics. PerryHall made an excellent suggestion, however. Try looking, as he suggested, either at medical schools, pawn shops or on eBay for something with a little better optics.

Several years ago I researched microscopes specifically for use in studying coins. I found exactly what I wanted, made by Bausch & Lomb. Unfortunately it was in the $2500 - $2700 price range. The Zeiss units were even more expensive. With a little perseverance and determination, however, I was able to locate a used Bausch & Lomb stereo microscope, 10X-60X, continuous zoom, with adjustable high intensity light source and measuring graticule, not for $2500, but for $150. It is the best microscope I have ever used for coin examination. I recommend the measuring graticule, but if your microscope does not have one, replacement 10X, 20X or 30X eyepieces, with the graticule built into the eye piece can be purchased from Edmunds Scientific or other places. This allows you to make precise measurements on coins, with the measuring scale displayed directly in your field of view.

I am at a loss for his name right now, but there is a very helpful guy who sets up at all of the major national shows with microscopes, video cameras, digital cameras, light sources, and the like. He makes an adaptor that will attach a digital camera to any stereo microscope for taking photographs.

Look around, and see if you can find a quality used microscope, with precision ground optics, instead of plastic lenses. Long term, you will be much happier.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    There are many stereo microscopes that you can get with a camera for $300-$500. That is really a bit much for my current budget but I still wanted to look at some die cracks and dates. In that I am studying half dimes, those suckers are small and I need some help seeing doubling in the dates. On the recommendation of others on the forum, I just bought a QX5 at Toys-R-Us for $60. Seems to do just fine. No, they aren't the best quality graphics in the world, but for just seeing some slight details like doubling and sharing pictures here, the QX5 seems to do just fine.

Here is the date of an 1845 doubled date half dime.

• << <i>I'm really surprised at the options suggested here, or should I say the lack of options. I have no doubt that the "QX3" is a good low priced microscope, but for that amount of money you certainly cannot get good quality optics. PerryHall made an excellent suggestion, however. Try looking, as he suggested, either at medical schools, pawn shops or on eBay for something with a little better optics. >>

I am curious as to what one would be looking for or missing on coins that you would not see in the types of pictures taken above with the Intel QX5?

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • macjeffmacjeff Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Anyone know if the QX3/5 work with Mac OS X?
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm really surprised at the options suggested here, or should I say the lack of options. I have no doubt that the "QX3" is a good low priced microscope, but for that amount of money you certainly cannot get good quality optics. >>

How good do you need? Look at wam98's posted pics. For a microscope that costs only around $70, that's just about as good of quality as one would ever need, coinwise.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know if the QX3/5 work with Mac OS X? >>

I don't think so. I use both PC and Mac and was hoping the QX5 would work on a Mac. The box only says Windows with no reference to Mac at all.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    What model do you use?...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • << Anyone know if the QX3/5 work with Mac OS X? >>

It doesn't look like it at the link below:
    INTEL QX-5 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS LINK

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • VetVet Posts: 1,513
    The Qx3 will not work on anything above windows 98 without buying a $20. upgrade CD from the intell web site.
    "Freedom of speech is a great thing.Just because you can say anything does not mean you should.
  • I haven't tried a microscope, but after using a variety of magnifying glasses and loupes over the years, I got one of these:
    10x Zeiss Loupe
    The difference is awesome. Huge field of view, tack sharp, nice deep eye relief...I can use it for hours without eye fatigue! They ain't cheap but it's worth it. They also make a 6x.
    ------
    "It is possible to keep a mind so open that it is perpetually empty."
    --Peter Huber, "Galileo's Revenge"
    Y'know, I really should Google things before asking dumb questions....

miXscope QX5 for Mac OS X
    Bump
    (just in case anyone else finds this useful!)
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    quite a valuable tool that search function is, indeed.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>quite a valuable tool that search function is, indeed. >>

How valuable is a thread that's over 5 years old when discussing the best of a current product?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file