Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any Washington Quarter Variety Experts?

I was going through a roll of silver quarters and found this 1935. The d mintmark appears to be over another one. Anyone aware of this variety?

Oops. Edited to remove reference to VAM. I guess that only applies to Morgan dollars.

Comments

• Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it could be over an S to me..
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't find a listing anywhere for such a coin and can't recall ever hearing of one.

This looks like a damaged punch but may have some other causative factor. This
    effect is seen often.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No known OMM for 1935. Looks like it could be some type of strike doubling to me-I've seen a very similar thing on a lot of 1964-D quarters.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. Is there some place I can send it to for professional evaluation?
  • Options
    Barberman55Barberman55 Posts: 1,605
    According to John Feigenbaum, author of "The Complete Guide to Washington Quarters", regarding any varieties for the 1935-D, he states, "Two repunched mintmark varieties are reported in The RPM Book". It's not much info, but hopefully it helps a little.
  • Options
    Thanks Barberman55!
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you might have is a D/D west (RPM #1) though in circulated condition, it is hard to say. As Craig suggested, it could be just a mushy mint mark. Not a great deal of additional value even if it is a RPM #1.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    Interesting. Using a few keywords gleaned from this thread, I was able to locate the following website:

Coneca Listing

Does the "West" designation refer to the lower mark?

At what point does the variety become listed in the Redbook?

I sure am learning a lot from this forum! Thanks!image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>According to John Feigenbaum, author of "The Complete Guide to Washington Quarters", regarding any varieties for the 1935-D, he states, "Two repunched mintmark varieties are reported in The RPM Book". It's not much info, but hopefully it helps a little. >>

Jeesh... Thank you. There are indeed two listed. I must have looked under dimes or something.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    More questions ...image

In the Coneca listings what do the terms UVC, DMR, EDS, MDS and LDS mean?
  • Options

New to this thread and looking for some direction. Generally speaking where is the best place to find info on the Varieties that are listed on PCGS? I have a bunch of silver washington quarters and it seems like every one has a variety listed but very few of the PCGS images actually show exactly what to look for to ID the variety. My main group is morgans so I am looking at vamworld for those but what about other types not shown in detail on PCGS? thoughts?

Sup. Morgans are cool - So are Ducatis.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

buy the books or search online
    just because you can, does not mean it will increase the value $18

https://pcgs.com/varietyfaq

• Options

@davewesen thanks - not sure how I missed this. Will help with my morgans but while there are a ton of variations listed in the price guide for washington quarters, they are not listed here. So does that mean they don't recognize them or is their list just old? I am trying to find specifics - for example the 1941-D quarter has both a 1941-D 25C DDR FS-801 and 1941-D 25C DDR FS-101 but the pictures in the price guide don't specify what is different about them. Why is that?

Sup. Morgans are cool - So are Ducatis.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your best hope for help, and this isn't written in a mean-spirited way, might be to simply start a new thread instead of resurrecting years-old or decades-old threads and plopping your post on the bottom. Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KARacing said:
    @davewesen thanks - not sure how I missed this. Will help with my morgans but while there are a ton of variations listed in the price guide for washington quarters, they are not listed here. So does that mean they don't recognize them or is their list just old? I am trying to find specifics - for example the 1941-D quarter has both a 1941-D 25C DDR FS-801 and 1941-D 25C DDR FS-101 but the pictures in the price guide don't specify what is different about them. Why is that?

The FS numbers come from a book, CHERRYPICKERS' GUIDE TO RARE DIE VARIETIES OF US COINS by Fivaz and Stanton that has descriptions and pictures. Can get some here with more stuff not listed.
    varietyvista.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file