Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I got some info on the Omaha Bank Hoard

CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
After reading some previous threads asking about info on the "Omaha Bank Hoard" I've kind of been on a "quest".

I am a member of the Omaha Coin Club and asked around but none of the old timers had heard anything about it. None of the younger members knew either. I've googled, and searched to no avail. So, finally I just decided to take a chance and emailed Heritage since they seem to be selling the lion's share of these coins. I got an interesting reply today.

The guy who wrote me back said the client who sold Heritage the 2000+ gem original rolls of Washington quarters, Roosevelt Dimes, Franklin Halves, and Walking Liberty halves has been guaranteed anonymity.

But he did say, all the rolls were originally purchased at the Omaha National Bank, and have been stored in a vault since the individual started buying rolls during the year of issue back in the late 1930's.

But that's all I could find out. Hope that helps to slake some of the thirst for info about this "hoard". image
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2000+ gem original rolls >>

Good grief!

Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

It was a good day, because I got the chance to learn something new!

Glad I could help! image
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Note to self: Don't buy any of these until the price drops.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options

<< <i>

Note to self: Don't buy any of these until the price drops. >>

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Thanks for doing the research. I wonder if, after trying to sell these for a while, Heritage feels it was a good investment.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Even though this is 6 months old I'll image it for those who don't do topic searches. image
  • Options
    There are also $20 Saints attributed to the Omaha Bank Hoard
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Those things are popping up ALL OVER eBay these days. Did Heritage submit the raw coins to PCGS? Most of them that I have seen have been in PCGS holders...

• Options

<< <i>Those things are popping up ALL OVER eBay these days. Did Heritage submit the raw coins to PCGS? Most of them that I have seen have been in PCGS holders... >>

From what I understand , yes. They bought the original rolls from the individual in Omaha and then submitted them.
  • Options
    If memory serves me correctly, the original person would buy rolls (when issued) at the bank and go through all of them & take out the highest grade coins (min MS65 I think). He/she would then spend the rest... he/she did this for some time.

It should be interesting.

~g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeese I missed this the first time around. Intersting read, gotta love the fact that someone did something 70 some odd years ago and seems to have made a great investment for him/her self. When I read something like that, I always chuckle a little about the team modern crap. At one time that person was collecting modern crap.
  • Options

<< <i>jeese I missed this the first time around. Intersting read, gotta love the fact that someone did something 70 some odd years ago and seems to have made a great investment for him/her self. When I read something like that, I always chuckle a little about the team modern crap. At one time that person was collecting modern crap. >>

This hoard had some effect on me, when we moved to the satin finish, I though somebody should also save business strikes of the lower denoms for the future generations, so I began to buy rolls, but who wants a full RD MS63? So after hearing about what this guy/gal did, I began to go through the rolls and just keep the nicest specimens (some rolls didn't generate any coins).

Funny how something from the past is creating coins for the future.

~g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is simply no way that there are (let alone thousands of) unaccounted-for gem BU rolls of any modern coins in existence. If there were, people wouldn't pay moon money for pop tops. So it has to be a lie.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting CoinHusker. I too am from Omaha and have never heard of this HOARD. I remember a few years back there was the "Byron Reed" collection with some great coins, but this hoard is still unknown around the local market.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    about 4 years ago I was at a local auction and a lawyer was talking to the auctioneer about an estate he was working with

a lady died whose husband ran a local bank in North Dakota ( or South Dakota ) until he died around 1965
    this banker would save rolls every year as long as he was banking

when he died, the bank was sold but the new owners let the lady keep the 'collection' in the vault, until she died

the collection was so large in size, it will fill a rental moving truck

I always wonder if this turned into the Omaha Hoard -> Omaha being the name of the Federal Reserve bank that was the original source of the rolls
  • Options

<< <i>There is simply no way that there are (let alone thousands of) unaccounted-for gem BU rolls of any modern coins in existence. If there were, people wouldn't pay moon money for pop tops. So it has to be a lie. >>

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. I love reading new info and some of the thoughts below on this hoard (True or not) my become part of the future legend. Or should I say Heritage.
  • Options

<< <i>There is simply no way that there are (let alone thousands of) unaccounted-for gem BU rolls of any modern coins in existence. If there were, people wouldn't pay moon money for pop tops. So it has to be a lie. >>

If it was a lie, wouldn't they "lie" about fewer rolls than so many? Either way, I'm just relaying some information I got from the horses mouth as it were. image

Actually, how hard would it be to save "thousands" of rolls over, say, a 30 year period? Not very I would think. image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I have a PCGS Franklin half dollar from this hoard. Thanks for the info.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Those of us who remember collecting in the early 1960's (befroe the 64 crash) it was very "roll oriented" . Rather than collect a coin of the time, many collectors collected an unc rolls of each date. I still have unc dime rolls from 1953 and wouldn't be suprised to see some larger roll hoards appear as some of these collectors who may have never needed to sell, pass away and the relative get coins they are not interested in.

As far as the "Omaha Hoard" name, It's a standard marketing gimmick to promote the group. If you didn't hear about it before it's probably because it was made up when Heritage got the coins and decided to promote the sale.
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

To the Top for whomever was askin.................

imageimage

• Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>gotta love the fact that someone did something 70 some odd years ago and seems to have made a great investment for him/her self. >>

Think cladking. image

John
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    And yes bought from Heritage.
  • Options

Sorry, Weiss, but I can't buy this. It is impossible for us to know what is out there waiting, hoarded long forgotten, ready to be discovered. Anything is possible. It has nothing to do with grading, market activity or the popularity of the hobby. All it has to do with is timing. There are some ooooold folks out there people. I wouldn't be suprised to hear of UNC rolls of Barber coinage suddenly showing up on the market. There are also persistent rumors about some old lady with an UNC roll of 1916 SLQs out there. This is the mystery and adventure of numismatics and to me it is an essential part of enjoying the hobby.
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    I live in Michigan and I have seen bank rolls from the late 20 s early thirties auctioned off at estate auctions so it is possible I will atest to that.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    That's why the populations on some Washington's have been on the rise. I wonder if there were any 42S rolls in there? I know there were 42D rolls.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

You forgot the image and image.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You forgot the image and image. >>

Thanks, shirohniichan. imageimage
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Since there appears to be renewed interest. image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    On the Old Coin World boards , there was an elderly gent who used to write about a hoard of rolled Coins that his father passed on to him. I forget the guys name but I remember he was either in poor health or was just getting up in years. He didn't seem to know how best to handle his group of Coins. Perhaps he finally sold them?
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but you can add Jefferson Nickels to the list of rolls. Heritage has hundreds (if not thousands) of these coins listed.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    In much of the 1960s the fad was to put together roll sets by date and mint. Numismatic News and Coin World were filled with ads from sellers of rolls. Most common were short sets of WL halves and almost anything after 1940 - Mercury short sets, Jeff sets 1936 and on, Lincolns, Quarters from 1934 (or 1940), etc. Coin investment newsletters promoted the low downside risk. The Treasury Dept. used this roll-set mania to blame collectors and dealers for the "coin shortage." The average collector back then was somewhat younger than now, so these guys are now in their 70s/80s. Many of these will likely come to market from their estates in the next few years.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they are now showing up in NGC holders

as far as the Jeffersons go, Heritage seems to be asking strong money

I would be curious what they have in inventory, as it seems they have over 1000 listed on their site
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And some people wonder why coins from that era are referred to as "widgets."
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry to bring up an old thread, but you can add Jefferson Nickels to the list of rolls. Heritage has hundreds (if not thousands) of these coins listed. >>

Holy SMOKES your not kidding. There goes the neighborhood. Overgraded to boot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file