Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Your Best Deal

Based on SMR pricing what is the lowest you have paid for a card on Ebay or other auctions? What was the card and what were you willing to bid on it?

Stingray

Comments

• Options
    73 Schmidt PSA 9 OC - Paid $117 - I think it was a steal. It is 80-20 on the front and 90-10 on the back - but it's pack fresh and still a 9.

I love it - but sure there are better deals had.

Steve
    steve
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I bought a raw 1969 Topps YL Ralph Houk card for $2.00, but received a WL variation instead. I got it graded and received a NQ 7 NM for the WL variation. That's a $98 increase from my original investment!

Julen
    ___

T G I F
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Paid $30 shipped for a

1989 Fleer Glossy Ken Griffey Jr PSA 9

SMR $120

I usually think of 1/2 SMR as being fair for both parties.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    2 come to mind:

I bought a raw 1969 Topps Joe Namath for $50 and it graded a PSA 9, also

I recently bought a 1984 Topps Dan Marino/Bartkowski league leader that was graded a BGS 9 (raw review) for $4 dlvd. I had it graded and it came back a PSA 10 (pop of 3).

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I won this the other day.

.49 + $1.50 for shipping.

What do you think? 1/1 LOL!!!!

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    "Barfvader"

That's awesome.

I'd imagine that mask could be tough to clean, though.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I paid $4.50 for a raw 1976 Topps Rod Carew #400 which subsequently was graded PSA 10. Needless to say, I was pleased. image
  • Options
    What's the SMR on a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #53 PSA 3? I paid $1000 which I always thought was a good deal.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best buys that I can think of:

I bought a 32 US Caramel from Greg Manning for $450 - bid the minimum - was surprised to get it! SMR is probably like 2 grand? And I paid 30$ raw for #46 IA Baylor from Rotman and it got a 9 from PSA - SMR is about 700$.
    Also, a 48B Baugh for 425$ - again bid the minimum and surprised it didn't go for more.
    SMR is like 1500$

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mikey, that is a beautiful '32 Cochrane. If i had a few grand to spare I would probably be at your door right now.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to go off topic but have a quick question after seeing the cards above.

I've noticed two different PSA label fonts; one being thin

and the other with a bolder font

What is the reasoning behind this? I almost picked up a '55 Clemente the other week but didn't because the font looked too thin.

Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking this thread image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I love the Baugh. I don't think I've seen a better one....wow.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Stown.....the cheap ass typewriter font was used in PSA's early days. The Mantle has the newer, imo nicer font. Both are legit.
  • Options
    Back in 2001 I bought one pack of Topps Traded. I was lucky enough to pull an Ichiro Chrome Refractor rookie. Since I don't really collect new stuff I put in a drawer and left it there until a few weeks ago. I had five cards pulled for my renewal to PSA Collectors Club so I threw the Ichiro in. It came back a 9. SMR $60. Sold it on the bay for $108. Go figure.

Shannon
  • Options
    I bought about 10 1985 Topps Elways back around 1999 - probably paid around $20 for the lot. I sent the nicest in to Beckett about a year ago and it graded a 9.5. The only 9.5 at the time and no PSA 10's. There wasn't even a bgs 9. I sold it for around 1200. I have since graded about 4 more and all have come back bgs 9's. I have sold them for between $50 and $125 each. Probably my best deal ever percentage-wise.

I also bought a raw 61 oscar robertson a few months ago for around 125 - it was advertised as EX-NM. PSA gave me an 8 which I sold for a little less than 1000.
  • Options
    Theres such thing as a "deal" when buying cards?! image
    Ryan
  • Options
    onlychildonlychild Posts: 312
    I think this will blow everyone out of the water...

Paid about $8 for a vintage Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb Card in 97 or 98. Grades came back as Ruth - 9, Cobb - 3. Estimated value about $10K.

• Options

<< <i>I think this will blow everyone out of the water...

Paid about $8 for a vintage Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb Card in 97 or 98. Grades came back as Ruth - 9, Cobb - 3. Estimated value about $10K. >>

Damn Kevin!
    Which Ruth was that? Do you have a scan? Was that at a garage sale?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    1982 donruss golf BRUCE LIETZKE psa 10. The only 10. It was listed badly on ebay in a way that did not show up on a normal search. Got it for $35.00
    <embed type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=198 height=444 src=http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/45cc95d4350510ee/47961cb3a4dad60f/45cc95d4350510ee/190f8023/ wmode=transparent allowscriptaccess=always allownetworking=all id=45cc95d4350510ee> </embed>
  • Options
    Sorry I won't post a scan, some things are best left unseen. The $10K is only an estimate...but by someone very respected in the hobby. image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That makes zero sense! Are you holding on to these items for now?

Stingray
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I had a comparable experience. Recently I attended an estate sale and picked up 10 GEM MINT cards for $10.

1) 1909 T206 Wagner
    2) 1911 T205 Cobb
    3) 1914 Cracker Jack Jackson
    4) 1915 Cracker Jack Jackson
    5) 1933 Goudey Ruth
    6) 1949 Leaf Paige
    7) 1951 Bowman Mantle
    8) 1952 Topps Mantle
    9) 1954 Topps Aaron
    10) 1992 Stadium Club Shaq Beam Team

She orginally wanted $15 but I still think I got a bad deal... I would provide a scan but as onlychild said, some things are best left unseen.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>I had a comparable experience. Recently I attended an estate sale and picked up 10 GEM MINT cards for $10.

1) 1909 T206 Wagner
    2) 1911 T205 Cobb
    3) 1914 Cracker Jack Jackson
    4) 1915 Cracker Jack Jackson
    5) 1933 Goudey Ruth
    6) 1949 Leaf Paige
    7) 1951 Bowman Mantle
    8) 1952 Topps Mantle
    9) 1954 Topps Aaron
    10) 1992 Stadium Club Shaq Beam Team

She orginally wanted $15 but I still think I got a bad deal... I would provide a scan but as onlychild said, some things are best left unseen. >>

Mike
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this will blow everyone out of the water...

Paid about $8 for a vintage Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb Card in 97 or 98. Grades came back as Ruth - 9, Cobb - 3. Estimated value about $10K. >>

image Yeah, I believe you. image
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    image $50!

just jokes. image
  • Options
    onlychildonlychild Posts: 312
    It's all very true.

For those non-believers. I have the low end examples on the registry. image

• Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    I picked this bad boy up on eBay raw in 2001. He advertised it as at least NM. Paid $38 with shipping as I recall. Guy had no scan, but I emailed him for a pic.

Todd

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

My best deal was 3 or 4 years ago when Laguna Sportscards Plus sold the Harris T 206 collection. I won a southern leaguer(can't recall the name) for the opening bid. I think it was $275 . About two months later i flipped it on ebay for $750 . I also sold about two weeks after that a 1978 Topps PSA 9 Topps Nolan Ryan(regular card) for $700 . I really didn't want to sell the card and put a $500 reserve thinking it wouldn't even reach that. Boy was i wrong!! Somebody back east bought that card. I hope he is still enjoying it today.
  • Options

<< <i> I also sold about two weeks after that a 1978 Topps PSA 9 Topps Nolan Ryan(regular card) for $700 >>

Carew
    Is the pop that low on the card? That's a lot of money to spend on a 9? Wow! Are there any 10s?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I picked this bad boy up on eBay raw in 2001. He advertised it as at least NM. Paid $38 with shipping as I recall. Guy had no scan, but I emailed him for a pic.

Todd >>

Todd
    That is too cool!! The guy obviously didn't know what he had? Great buy!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    For graded purchases on eBay, '59 Topps Dolan Nichols PSA 6. Paid about $2.60 for it (combined shipping on a group of cards). Turns out, it's the scarce "no option line" variation. SMR is $75.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    My best deal would have to be the 1984 fleer update set I just bought about 3 weeks ago for $350.

Clemens, Puckett, and Gooden all came back as 9s, and the Rose a 10.

The rest of the set is in the same condition, so if I ever wanted, I am sure the entire set would grade the same.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I paid $35 for a raw 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr rookie about 18 months ago, and it came back a PSA 10. Managed to get $515 out of it on ebay, so as far as profit goes, that's the best deal I've ever got.

• Options
    I remember about 3-4 years ago I picked up an Abreu PSA 10 95 bowman for about $10 and the Bowmans best psa 10 for about $15. The auction ended at about 2 AM Pacific time and this was before all the good sniping programs. At the time I got a good deal, but not great, now looking at the level he's playing today I'd say it was an awesome deal.

Back in 01 I purchased an Aramis Ramirez game used rookie signed bat for about $30, flipped it for around $200 last summer. My buddy and I also bought 300,000 cards for $600.00 and made a killing reselling them, there was actually a ton of good cards in there mixed in with the commons, I think we pulled about a dozen of the key rookies from 87 Donruss in there.

My deals weren't that great as most of you guys but it helped give me some free beer money over the past few years.
  • Options

Update. After the last Mastronet auction, I'm pretty sure my few hundred dollar investment is now more like in the thousands, even tho the SMR doesn't reflect it.

Having said that, as a collector, I buy and don't sell. For those who rob graves for living - just follow the motorcade. image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    1968 Carl Yastrzemski All-Star card that was purchased from a local card shop at $2.00. The card was sent in for grading and came back a Psa 9. I sold the card on the bay for almost $300.00.

1969 Mike Andrews card that I purchased raw for $3.00. Sent in the Psa and got an 8. I sold it oon the bay for over $400.00 (back when low-pop 1969 cards were fetching a premium).
  • Options
    1933 Goudey Sport King Ace Bailey. Bought it raw on ebay for $70, sent it to PSA and it came back a "7". Sold it back on ebay for an even grand.

GG
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1980 I bought 150 "mint" 1972 Topps high number cards for $30. So far I have received three 10's and 25 9's as well as tons of 8's for them. Needless to say, this was a great investment/deal!

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports