Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1971 Baseball Collectors - Input Wanted

Well with me filling up my first MJ Roop archiver box, and hitting the 25% mark, I have 9 cards over. Did the math, and with 4 of the archiver boxers, I will have 32 cards left over (the boxes hold 180 cards (even though the website shows 172)), and the set has 752 cards.

My option is to get a binder, and display the best cards of the set. I figure 9 pages of 4 cards, giving me 36 cards will give me the opportunity to show off this fine set, as well as fitting into one binder, to accomodate the 4 filled archiver boxes. Here's my list so far...would love any and all input from my fellow '71 collectors.

5 - Munson
14 - Concepcion
20 - Jackson
26 - Blyleven
30 - Phil Niekro
50 - McCovey
55 - Carlton
100 - Rose
140 - Perry
160 - Seaver
180 - Kaline
210 - Carew
230 - Stargell
241 - Garvey
250 - Bench
264 - Morgan
280 - Jenkins
300 - B. Robinson
325 - Marichal
350 - B. Williams
361 - Sutton
380 - T. Williams
384 - Fingers
400 - Aaron
450 - Gibson
513 - Ryan
525 - Banks
530 - Yaz
550 - Killebrew
567 - Aston
570 - Palmer
600 - Mays
625 - Brock
630 - Clemente
640 - F. Robinson
688 - Anderson
740 - Aparicio

edit 2: Right now my list has 37, 1 over my pages limit...would you make any changes, and which 2 would you cut? I am leaning towards Ted and Aston, as they are manager cards and not player cards, but I am torn.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I'd lose McLain and Blyleven. That way you'd have all HOFers + Rose who should be (dammit).
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd lose McLain and Blyleven. That way you'd have all HOFers + Rose who should be (dammit). >>

Well I was thinking Blyleven might make it in the hall, and definitely brain-farted leaving Rose out. Not sure why I have McLain on there...another brain fart in my typing up the list too quickly.

If I take out McLain and Blyleven, and add in Rose, I am still one over...hmm. I think I may just have to do 10 pages for 40 cards. There are 36 HoFers in this set, one more that should be (Rose), and my favorite card (Munson).

Now I need to add in 2 more cards.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭
    I would add the rookie cards of concepcion,simmons,blylevan,garvey(not sure why he is left out?),foster and baylor/baker. If thats not a route you want to take then since sparky is on there I would add weaver.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Lose Perez. He's only a HOF because Joe Morgan is his friend. Tony Perez twice lead his league in a tracked statistical category. What was it? RBI? nope. HR? nope. Hits? nope. The great HOF Tony Perez twice lead his league in GIDP. That's it. The only two times he lead his league in anything.

The beauty of the 71 set the balance of so many great players and HOF either right in their prime, closing their careers, or starting their careers. Perfect transitional bridge set from the great pitchers of the 60s to the (no steroid) sluggers coming in the late 70s.

And while you're at it, drop Wilhelm and Bunning. Two more HOF busts. Should clear out all the room you need. Value baseball excellence, not veterans committee votes.