Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA grading question

I have noticed that there are many PSA-graded common cards, even from sets like 2004 Topps Football and other mass-produced sets, that are on E-Bay, with even PSA 10's selling for only $3-$4 (an Emmitt Smith went for $2.25 the other day, e.g.). Are dealers/collectors getting a lower price than $6 to get these cards graded? It seems to me that you couldn't resell many cards that are graded PSA 10 on E-Bay for more than the cost of getting them graded, so I don't see how so many of them are graded without dealers getting a better deal than $6/card. If there is a way to get a deal on commons, I'd be interested.

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanaticbaseballfanatic Posts: 2,415 ✭✭
    I've often wondered that myself. With a lot of the newer stuff, the only way to make money from getting things graded is to pull 10's. Here, the sellers GET the 10's they were asking for and can only turn them around for a loss? Are they willing to take that much of a bath in order to move product?
  • Options
    I noticed on a different post that someone got a whole wax box worth of grades graded for $175. I wonder how they did that... any help?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I don't think you got that right - maybe they graded just the stars from the box at $5 (on a special) = 35 cards? Or, don't forget the larger submitters get a bit lower pricing than even that - but not as low as you mention.

Got a link?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I can see no good reason to get anything new graded, except for maybe a high end jersey or autograpgh card. IMO.

Stingray
  • Options
    I believe CDsNuts post is the one you're talking about. I would guess that he only picked the best 35 to be graded during the recent $5 special. He has a good eye and was able to turn some profit. I have heard that dealers who send in massive amounts of cards can get them graded for as low as $4/ea but I've never been able to get confirmation on that (not that I've really tried though).

Link
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Yep - that's what I thought. He didn't grade the whole box (obviously), just the best cards.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    What do you guys think the 4-corners, DSL, et al's pay for grading? I figure it's about $2/card.