need help 1964 dime proof pointed nine

sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
need a good close up pic thank you

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Pointed 9 top, blunt 9 bottom.

Russ, NCNE
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    The James Wile's book tell me almost everything I need to know about the 1964 Kennedy varieties. Is there a comparable book for Roosevelts that might shed some light on the pointed 9 variety?image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Which, if either, is more valuable? Now I've got to check my '64 dimes...

<< <i>Which, if either, is more valuable? >>

Not much difference, actually. The Pointed 9 in pop top UCAM has some premium over the other, but not a ton. In lower grades, virtually no difference. PCGS doesn't designate them, but NGC does.

BTW, it's a pop 3/0 in 69UCAM at NGC, and two of those three came from me. One I sold raw on eBay for $15, the other I gave as a Christmas gift. I am a very bad Ferengi.

Russ, NCNE
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today there is not much premium for the pointed nine dimes. They tend to be found in sets with the Accented Hair Kennedy's (probably why Russ has so many), but not always. I have been successful in Cherrypicking a number of dcam pieces in PCGS holders (non designated) for no premium.

IMO, someday this variety will gain recognition and then there may be a premium. Imagine if PCGS included the pointed nine in the Registry w/ Varieties - demand would take off and there may be an opportunity to make a profit (like a good Ferengi would do). In the meantime, I just keep hoarding them as they are so cheap. Possible upside with little downside.

Also, there is a book like the Wiles book for Roosevelts. I think it is by Flynn, but I'll have to check when I get home.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

What I find interesting is that somewhere along the die production process, the 9 was changed from a pointed one to a blunt one. The pointed nine is generally, but not exclusively, associated with the accented hair Kennedy. The accented hair was the first batch of Kennedy proofs struck, which means the pointed nine was probably the first struck. We all know why the Kennedy proof was changed early in its production, but why was the dime changed? The obverse for the 1964 dime was the same as the 1963; they only had to change the last digit in the year. The nine would have been left alone. I wonder if there are any differences in the 1963 Roosevelts proofs toward the end of that year?

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
    I just pulled out some 1961, 1962, and 1963's. All Pointed 9's.

Russ, NCNE
    Russ is my hero. That answers that question.image

Joe
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    thank you guys
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love searching for old, informational, threads.....

The AH proof set I picked up at long beach, for ~$11, has a pointed 9 as well image

Not worth a lot, but it is cool nonetheless.

Russ, thanks again for the great pics...made it easy to see.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Russ is my hero. That answers that question.

Joe

It amazes me---how fast Russ has the correct info for forum members' questions.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Hey Russ: thanks (again) for a Low Pop Pointed Nine Dime!

And, no, I won't let you forget it. image Hey, I won that thing on eBay fair and square. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file