Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

United States Coins--A Study By Type--- has anyone read this?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
On the Whitman site, there is a new book out called United States Coins--A Study by Type. Here is some more information: Available April 28
Noted numismatists Ron Guth and Jeff Garrett have created a definitive work of American history. United States Coinage: A Study by Type invites the reader to peer into the heart and soul of America-to view snapshots of the life and ideals of its people-by examining the coins the nation has produced since 1792. Inside this hard cover book, you'll see the simple beginnings of the United States Mint, the growth and maturation of the nation during the 1800's, the staid designs of coins of the Industrial Era, the glory and excess of the early 1900's, and the hero-worship of recent years. Completely illustrated with full-color photos. 192 pages.

The book sounds interesting, if it truly tries to tell the story of life in America by examining the coins of the era. I might have to get this eventually. Has anyone read it?

PS. I have no relation to Whitman or any financial interest in this book or any other Whitman book.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    I have not read it, but based on the description you posted it sounds like something I would definitely like to read as a type collector.

PS - I also have no relation to Whitman or any financial interest in this book or any other Whitman book or any other book or bookseller. Mileage may vary, state and local taxes apply, etc. etc.image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like my kind of book! (They all do.) I will check it out at the Whitman booth this weekend and let you know what I think.
  • Options
    1977topps1977topps Posts: 275
    Just ordered it.
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭
    My four year old got me it for Christmas. She told my wife "I want to buy Daddy a coin book" and picked it off the shelf herself because she liked the pics! It's a really fun and neat book!
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I orderd it a few days ago too. It should be here any day now.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file