Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979-80 Gretzky OPC

Has The Great Ones OPC RC decreased in value dramatically recently? I used to see PSA 8's going for 1000+ and now I see many in the 600 range.

Comments

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that does appear to be a softer price than in the past. Could be supply and demand, could be an overall soft hockey market whatwith the lockout and all (though it would seem that Gretzky rookies are impervious to lockouts). It's not the most difficult card to find anymore so it may reflect that. Personally, I like to see Gretzky rookies go for $800+ as I own one.
  • Options
    robstarrobstar Posts: 262
    First of all that is hardly the nicest looking " 8 " I have ever seen. Are my eyes deceiving me or is there a slight diamond cut there. Having said that, I think the main reason for the lower price is the sellers feedback, or lack thereof. While he has a 100% rating and is probably an honest seller, I would be wary of buying a high ticket item from a seller with a " 21 " rating.

Have a great day...Rob...

Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    OPC PSA 8 Gretzky rookies have been selling in the $850-$1000 range the past six months. I think two things hurt the value - 1) as robstar pointed out the relatively low feedback rating which was at 14 or 15 when the auction started. 2) the reserve was so much lower than what the card was selling for i thought it might be a Topps rookie with the wrong scan. It seems the general rule on ebay is to think the worst of a seller that has low feedback and is offering nice cards. In hindsight, seeing that the buyer has already left feedback, it looks like he got a steal.
  • Options
    I saw that a '79-80 Topps Gretzky in PSA 9 sold for only $1149 (BIN). I know the Topps version is less popular but that price seems low.
  • Options
    I've seen other PSA 8 OPC's recently sell in the 600's besides the one mentioned above. I guess it might just be the overall apathetic attitude toward hockey. Maybe time to scoop some...