Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

cracked my first slab

And I wouldn't really say I cracked it. I used my miracle blade steak knife (which I highly recommend) and just started cutting along the side. After a while it just popped open and the card slid right out. Three of the sides are still in tact, and only half of the remaining side is opened. It probably wouldn't be that hard to reseal if someone had the means. Kind of scary.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steak knife heh. How did the card taste?
  • Options

miracle blade steak knife image
    Thanks,
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What card/grade was it and why did you want to do it, to resubmit?

Stingray
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    I have never cracked a PSA holder open, but I did open SGC and Beckett slabs for crossover on Saturday. All you need is a narrow-bladed flat-head screwdriver, and both were easy. I have to say, though, that the soft insert in the Beckett slab saved my card: at one point the screwdriver slipped and went right into the slab. The card would have been damaged without that insert there.
  • Options
    It was a 1983 Donruss Tony Gwynn graded PSA 8. I cracked it because I wanted to put it in an album next to his other (Topps, Fleer) rookie cards. I only paid 4.5 with shipping.
  • Options
    I too recently cracked my first slabs, two bgs cards graded a couple of years ago. One opened (shockingly) with just a little pressure with my hands. the other was a real battle using a screwdriver and knife, with pieces of plastic chipping off a little at a time. as luck would have it, the latter was one I wanted. The other, a modern bkt rc, was for practice. Effort was worth it, however, as card, a bgs 3.5 '54 jackie robinson crossed to a psa 6 (exactly what I expected). all the subs from bgs were 6-7, save for corners, which they incredibly graded a 3 (all are square, without rounding)!
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a ginsu knife. It slices it dices it cuts through cans and then tomatoes with ease.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eadams
    I'm thinking you like to live dangerously.

mike
    Mike