Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about Ebay Auction - Fleer 86-87 Michael Jordan Rookie

Does anyone smell something fishy here? The seller claims the card is a PSA 9.5 which could be an honest mistake. The card is slabbed in a PSA holder, however, the scan is blurry. A bidder posted a question regarding the 9.5 grading and the seller responded by claiming " I made a mistake on the listing. The card is a 9.5 grading by BGS. Sorry for the mix up."

Am I missing something?

Ebay Auction - Item #5190789702

Text
Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989

Comments

• Options
    And the current high bidder is NARU!!!

Linky-Poo
  • Options
    I've been looking on Ebay for a Jordan Rookie at a bargain price (if that's possibe). I noticed that there are many Jordan Rookie "Reprints" on the auction. Is the difference between the '86-87 original' and the 'reprint' the date on the back of the card?

Ebay has gone to hell in a hand basket with all the scammers and crooks. This BOARD has helped me tremendously with researching the auction before bidding.

Thanks to all for the continued help!

Danny
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny
    The first counterfeits of the Jordan RC were easily detected by examination of the FLEER/PREMIER Logo in the upper right corner of the card's front - on the real one the red crown, yellow pattern and black "Premier" are made up of SOLID colors - on the fake the elements are seen as dots under a loop.
    Also the blue color of the fake card back is LIGHTER than the real one - plus the fleer crown on the upper left side is purple in the real one and only shows as blue in the fake. On some of the fakes, the word PREMIER with the black line show up as "print dots" on the fake. There were some that look really good and the best way to detect them is by looking at the "R" on the back next to the NBA logo on the lower left - it's hard to see the "R" clearly on the fake.

IMO, I would ask the seller for a really good scan of the front and back of the card. I'm not familiar with BGS cards so I'm not capable of making a comment but I think they are just as good as any at detecting a fake?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

I appreciate the info.

Thank you.
  • Options
    What a bonehead this seller is! the Jordan pic is of a psa NM-MT 8

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Ooops, he made a mistake it is a BGS 9.5 not a $1500 card but a $25,000 card. Please send wads of cash in an envelope, not return address is needed.
  • Options
    I have one up in unopened form. The pack is graded 7.5 by GAI, and has the Jordan rookie on the front.

link
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    What is he selling? BGS 9.5 or PSA 8. Be aware with questions- This is the only card he has. I would open the pack!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Did anyone ask him why the picture is of a PSA 8 and not a BGS 9.5?

Stingray
  • Options
    LOL, take a look at the auction disc. He explains it all with "Below is just the stock photo; the one I have for auction has a 9.5 PSA rating. Thank you and good luck." He has a high $$$$ card and cannot even take a scan/picture of it for auction. I am sure it will go cheap for a 9.5.

Jim

Buy anything for cheap and sell for more.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    Danny -

about a month ago there was a thread on the jordan rookie. someone posted a detailed scan of the differences between a fake and real one. look for the old post in the archives.

Joel
  • Options
    Joel,

I'm working today but later this evening, I will look for the posting. Thank you.
  • Options
    Bigtime
    Cool item on ebay!

OS
    Did you contact the seller and ask for good scans? This is the only way to get to the bottom of this?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

I did not ask the seller any questions. The more I look at it, it appears that this could be an 'honest' deal, however, I'm not going to pursue this auction based on the original misinformation about the card and the fact that a NARU bidder is involved.

What do you think?

Danny
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

I did not ask the seller any questions. The more I look at it, it appears that this could be an 'honest' deal, however, I'm not going to pursue this auction based on the original misinformation about the card and the fact that a NARU bidder is involved.

What do you think?

Danny >>

I think there will always be another down the road - I have learned from bad experiences to go with my gut reactiion and pass if I feel uneasy - in the long run, I believe I will win more than lose. There's just too much crap out there. Afterall, why did he have to use a "stock" photo - a scanner can be purchased for less than 100 bucks? Just not sure?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think I have now seen it all. Guy claims to have a 25k card yet can't even do his listing properly. Anyone who bids on that auction needs to have his/her head examined. Ebay is the toilet bowl of flea markets. BUYER BEWARE should be posted on every auction page.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    He says he made a mistake. Is he so lazy that he won't bother editing his auction to add a picture of the proper card? Or is he too dumb to know how to do that? Or maybe he's just too cheap to pay 15 cents to add it. Even if all of that were true, if I thought I could get $25k for a card I'd pay someone I knew $20 just to make my listing nice.
  • Options
    And guess what! The new high bidder just signed up for a new eBay account TODAY! Sheesh.
    Mark
    "Pete Rose would walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Sparky Anderson
  • Options

<< <i>I have one up in unopened form. The pack is graded 7.5 by GAI, and has the Jordan rookie on the front.

link >>

I hope you all saw this one (86-87 Fleer PACK - Graded GAI 9) that got over $500 LINK