Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jackie Robinson is no longer the lowest mintage modern.

Did any of you see the coverage on the topic in this weeks coin world. How is the market going to respond in the short term? Long term?

Eric

Comments

• Options
    What is the new low mintage piece?
  • Options
    Yes...what coin are we talking about??? image
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess it's platinum.image
    Larry

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    2004-W American Eagle Platinum Proof................Not many of us on the board buy this bullion coin.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How low is the 2004 proof Platinum mintage? Is it the 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz or the 1/10 oz ?
  • Options
    You shouldn't compare bullion coins with commemoratives.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

Amen
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    The 1/2 oz proof platinum has a mintage of 5136 less 30 days worth of returns. The 1/4 oz proof is 5265 less 30 dyas worth of returns.

By the way for over 2/3 of our coinage history the value of our dollar was based only on its bullion value. Thats why we have reeded edges on our coins. It OK to say you don't like them but to discount a coin as insignificant because it has very high material content is not reasonable. For years $20 Saints traded at just slighly over their bullion content if you check your coinage history. They are sold as proofs for collectors. They are no more just bullion than any other US proof gold.

Eric
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say the platinum coins are insignificant, but in reality there are a lot more collectors of commems than of bullion coins. And it's a stretch to say the platinum, gold and silver American Eagles are anything other but bullion. Yes, they are made for collectors, but they are still bullion coins.

There aren't all that many collectors of platinum coins, which the mintage figures bear out.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nor should you compare commemoratives to real coins. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Platinum coins are cool but I don't consider them a coin I'd buy in bulk to make money at over $1300 dollars each for the one ounce your going to have a hard time making money for a long time and if metals drop it will be even harder a $600 premium is just too rich for me as a collecto. I'd buy the bullion they don't sell a ton of those either JMO

Just like the silver eagle proof they make those every year too it's not a one shot and your out type coin.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my 1/10 oz Proof Coin, that is good enough for me.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Well Raven,

At only 7260 tenths minted you will be glad you have it in the next ten years. I can't find ANY example of a US minted type coin with a total type mintage of 7k graded 63 or better for less than $400-$500.

Good Luck

Eric
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I think the biggest threat to the future desirability of the platinum coins is if the Mint pulls the plug on the series due to low sales.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Kranky,

You may be right about pulling the plug on the program or changing it. The mint is already looking at changing the obverse in the next 3 years and starting a whole new series. The question is will it help or hurt the value of the existing type series? I can't think of any example in US coinage history where the end of a production series hurt the value of the discontinued coins.

I hope they do change or quit so I can finish off my sets and stop buying the stuff.........I like the concept of short series like the 7 years of proof murcury dimes and walker halves. I just wish I could have bought the walkers early on before the prices got so out of hand.

Thanks guys,

Eric

• Options
    Ttown you do have a very good point.....at least in MHO. The $1300 price tag on the higher mintage $100 proof eagle will hurt its long term prospects.....

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file