Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1980 OPC Gretzky PSA 10 1/1 at $4900 already, but I'm confused

80 Gretzky PSA 10

This has to be the record for the most disclaimers ever for a PSA 10 graded card:

>> "It then sat in my MJ Roop archiver box for 1 year before I stopped hoarding it and finally got the balls to submit it. "

Overlooking the unprofessionalism and immaturity of the comments, why would it take guts to submit a card he thought was a PSA 9?

>> "The winner is welcome to submit this card to ANY grading company for review and verification. It has NOT been trimmed, altered, or colored in any way whatsoever!! "

Well, I should hope that it hasn't been trimmed, altered, or colored if it's a PSA 10.

>> "The card is obviously NOT SHEET CUT....take a close look."

I must be a moron, because I can't tell that it's OBVIOUSLY not sheet cut by looking at it in its PSA 10 holder.

>> "I will personally guarantee this!". Oh, but later: "Please ask ALL questions before the auction is over. There are absolutely no refunds on any graded cards."

Well, which is it?

Comments

• KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    unreal.. I see BGS 9.5's all the time from that set (all sheet cut no doubt) of Gretzky, Messier, Bourque.. they don't go anywhere near that amount..
  • I cant figure this clown, and yes I am calling him a clown..he is at 4900.00 and reserve not met? Is he kidding, this has an smr value of 2500.00 he is at double book, its a second year card not first. The card already has reached a price well worth 10 times what he paid..PSA 9 420.00, so if he paid that as he claims he has, he made a very happy return..take the cash and split..

I hope his reserve isnt met, and another psa 10 gets graded "WHILE IT IS LOCKED AWAY". and brings his value down to 2500.00....what an a$$..
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>I must be a moron, because I can't tell that it's OBVIOUSLY not sheet cut by looking at it in its PSA 10 holder. >>

I'm inclined to believe it is not sheet-cut, because the top edge looks rough cut, perfectly acceptable in a PSA high-grade holder, and never found on a sheet-cut card:

<< <i>Is he kidding, this has an smr value of 2500.00 he is at double book, its a second year card not first. >>

With all due respect to PSA, I don't understand how they can list a price for a card that has never been sold in that graded condition. $2500 is clearly a guess by SMR, and I would say that given that SMR value for the 1/1 OPC Gretzky RC is $50000, $5000 is not an unreasonable price for this card. He could very well be "testing the market" with an outlandish reserve, but that's his right, and I'd probably do the same. The only question I have is why he's selling it on eBay and not through one of the more reputable online auction houses.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm inclined to believe it is not sheet-cut, because the top edge looks rough cut, perfectly acceptable in a PSA high-grade holder, and never found on a sheet-cut card: >>

Good eye on that I was going to say the same thing. I thought this card was up for sale last month? Is his reserve that high. I did not see the final bidding on it from before, but I pretty sure this has been on ebay before.

Stingray
  • I also don't think 5,000 seems that bad. Again 50,000 for RC, only 10% of that for year 2 that is a 1/1? Seems fair.

GG
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Do I think 5k is high? Not if I owned it. I would want as much as i could get for it. Just like everyone else would.
    Good for you.
  • The sheet cut disclaimer make me nervous. I have a feeling he did an exceptional job replicating the opc cut.
    I love candy cards
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    It is one of those auctions that throws red flags everywhere. Could be totaly legit....but I doubt it.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Well, $4999 wasn't enough in the end.

• << <i>Do I think 5k is high? Not if I owned it. I would want as much as i could get for it. Just like everyone else would. >>

More idiotic responses from a loser.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I agree with Win. I'd be reluctant to let something like this card fly if it was a true 1/1 with no history of selling to give it an estimated value. I'd probably put in on ebay with some ridiculous reserve and see what happens, kind of like what mudflap did with his 88 Ryan PSA 10. It's basically like paying for an appraisal, accept this appraisal gives you the option to sell at the appraised price.

Lee