Home Sports Talk
Options

Help with a baseball question

What exactly is a save opportunity? Specifically, what is the minimum/maximum run differential that a team must have in order to have a save opportunity and why? I hear announcers state that a game is "a save opportunity", but never explain why.

Thanks

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    closer must face the tying run . i am 90% sure
  • Options
    Save Situation

A Relief Pitcher is in a Save Situation when upon entering the game with his club leading, he has the opportunity to be the finishing pitcher (and is not the winning pitcher of record at the time), and meets any one of the three following conditions:

he has a lead of no more than three runs and has the opportunity to pitch for at least one inning, or

he enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or

he pitches three or more innings regardless of the lead and the official scorer credits him with a save.

ESPN Glossary

Brian
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Save Situation

A Relief Pitcher is in a Save Situation when upon entering the game with his club leading, he has the opportunity to be the finishing pitcher (and is not the winning pitcher of record at the time), and meets any one of the three following conditions:

he has a lead of no more than three runs and has the opportunity to pitch for at least one inning, or

he enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or

he pitches three or more innings regardless of the lead and the official scorer credits him with a save.

ESPN Glossary

Brian >>

Hmm I guess the second one means if the bases loaded? Otherwise isn't it the same as #1? And I didn't know pitching 3 innings of relief could warrant a save.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

this could also mean that there are NO MEN on base and two outs with a one run lead. A save situation is basically viewed as one batter could equal one run - potentially. That is why on #1, a save situation could only happen if the team is leading by no more than three runs. He will face three batters that inning, which potentially could be three runs.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards