Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAM/DCAM How to tell the difference... photo tell the story.

I have seen this question asked more then once on here. How do I tell the difference between CAMEO and DEEP CAMEO? Well it has been tried to be explain verbally as well as some pics. But I don't think I have seen anyone line them up side by side in pictures. Well here it is using my favorite coin, all in the point grade but different disignations.

To start, here is the base coin. It is graded PCGS PR67

Next step; PCGS PR67CAM

Now, I'll throw in a curve ball. Here is a PCGS PR67CAM with a Deep Cameo OBV. The reverse kept it from DCAM

And finally the ever elusive Deep Cameo. PCGS PR67DCAM

Hope this helps someone out there.
Retired USAF 1979 - 1999 ~ F-4 & A-10 Crew Chief/Logistics Planning

Comments

• Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I can't really tell any difference in any of the pictures. The white balance is off on all of them and they all look about the same shade of purple. Don't think I've ever seen any purple Kennedy haves before.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I can tell the difference between the coins. It's subtle, but it's there - and a subtle representation is good because the difference in getting the designation is frequently very much so.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the difference.....

The problem is, I have several "CAM" coins in PCGS holders that don't look as good as the top coin in these examples. Obviously graded before they tightened up, (if I am to believe the scuttle-butt here)....so I think one really needs to be careful when purchasing CAM/DCAM coins, even when they are certified.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    Excellent post ! image !

With them lined up like that i can definately see the differences.

• Options
    Excellent post but the photos and reflections in #1 and #2 could confuse the readers (too much reflection in photo #2). I can tell the difference, though... THANKS!! craig
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's good for Kennedy's but the criteria varies for each different series, especially 19th century. And also for each grading service.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    PR67CAM:

PR67DCAM:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that a regular proof could be made into DCAM with Grand Marnier.

Not dipping the coin in it, but including it with the submission.

• Options
    Good idea Topstuf, I just might try that... image
    Retired USAF 1979 - 1999 ~ F-4 & A-10 Crew Chief/Logistics Planning

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file